Skip to main content
Topic: Thunar does not show partitions under XFCE openRC (Read 881 times) previous topic - next topic

Thunar does not show partitions under XFCE openRC

I am most interested in multibooting and have been experimenting with Artix (among other distros) .

I have used Artix Mate Live and have installed it in 2 machines. I find it very comfortable to use, but I am not as ”fluent” at it as I am with other, for me ”already established for my own use” distros like Mint, Sabayon, Manjaro and, to lesser extent, Fedora.

I have just made 2 installations of Artix on my Fuji Esprimo desktop, couple years Core2 duo, 8 GB RAM:
1 -Mate openRC from MAte iso works problemfree so far - I have not used it on a daily base yet.

2 - XFCE open-RC from  base-install is still getting in shape. I have installed XFCE4 and quite a few of my most used applications.

My problem is  on XFCE openr Rc from base install:  Thunar is not showing my other partitions beside Filesystem.

Thunar works fine  in the same machine, from the partition where I installed from Mate/openRC iso and those of other distros.

I have searched very exhaustively, but most of the stuff I found seem too old to risk without counsel, or systemd related - in the case of the more recent ones  and there seems that no 2 sources ever confirm each other.

Searches on ”thunar mount partition(s)” in forums or search machines haven’t helped me. I have seen references to things like poolkit and similar in particular, and authentication questions in general - among others - but I am not sure it is a good idea going one of those ways without reliable guidance.

I don’ t want the partitions auto mounted via fstab. I have read they can be placed in fstab with noauto option, but it was not a recent post, and it was associated to a skeptical comment. I don’ t feel comfortable with this as I have never needed to do that.

I suspect this may well be a simpler issue than what it appears to me  to be. The Mate openRC install is loading the partitions the way I am used to, by clicking on them on the file manager.

I would appreciate some guidance on how to mount my partitions without having to use command line which, by the way functions as usual.

Re: Thunar does not show partitions under XFCE openRC

Reply #2
Thanks allum !   NO!  I did read about it , and it has been my favourite choice so far, found several references to it, but did not feel sure about installing it. I don´t think any of the other 8 system on this machine ,  7 of each run XFCE, have it - I will check now.  The git site says it is required by xfdesktop, so it should be installed then ?  I can not avoid wondering why it would not - i don´t mean this as irony or criticism, I am really curious and want to learn and understand.

Reply #3
Back to a point in my original post: is it convenient to boot non-system partitions in directory "media" with option "noauto" ? As mentioned I read about this in an old text and wonder if it is still a good choice.

I have not found any good text on this. Much on differences between "media","mount","run-mount","run/media" but there seems to be different opinions.

I have a multiboot set-up and most OSes mount non-system and other OS-partitions to "media", but I have found many examples of arched based distros where partitions are mounted to "/mnt/sdXY".

I understand I am free to choose where to mount things, but search results seem to indicate there may be cause to be careful.

I also did not understand the point in  https://forum.artixlinux.org/index.php/topic,2514.0.html:
(This is also the reason why) artix/arch/manjaro mount additional "drive-s" in `/data/`, thus additional "drive-s" can contain root-files.

Reply #4
I finally found - at  https://docs.xfce.org/xfce/thunar/thunar-volman - information about the "Thunar Volume Manager" and somehow accepted the idea of trying gvfs, as Thunar Volume Manager gave me a message that it was missing the optional dependency gvfs in order to mount volumes.

I then chose the option of browsing the volumes at start but not mount then, which is what I am used to in most of my OSe. And  it has worked great.

So this thread is technically  solved.

But I now feel a bit guilty about having violated the principle that have led me towards Artix, namely that of keeping things as simple as possible, a principle sustained by the fact that I can only afford older machines with limited resources.

So I would still like to configure my fstab in order to show my volumes automatically and mount them manually without gvfs. Thunar is  mounting them at "/run/media/mount", so I am now prety sure I should be able to do the same which should eliminate my doubts about having to follow any rule or criteria when creating the directories where I will mount them. 

I am not sure that the 'noauto' option in fstab will be sufficient to achieve that, so I will be thankful for confirmation or advice.

In retrospective this experience has made me value Artix even higher.

I was surprised when I first got the message from Thunar about gvfs, as I was not aware then of it being optional. Now I understand that is what is nice about choice. Artix does not place gvfs but gives me that choice.

Reply #5
But I now feel a bit guilty about having violated the principle that have led me towards Artix, namely that of keeping things as simple as possible, a principle sustained by the fact that I can only afford older machines with limited resources.
You might be interested in suckless programs and using X without a DM.

As far as the topic is concerned, the most minimal solution is to directly use mount(1). It isn't that hard, it does exactly what you write and doesn't require additional dependencies which could also be nontrivial to configure.

Reply #6
@ strajder: Thanks for the advice. I had not given that idea enough consideration, before  your note.  I am thinking of making scripts, one for each device and maybe an option for all devices, and  place links for them at some convenient place so that I can click on them on demand.  But I am still wondering about my question in the original posting about where should I and where should I not mount my other system partitions. Is it OK if I copy the mounting model used by gvfs-enabled Thunar ?  I am not on Artix right now, but I am pretty sure it mounted on /root/mount (or perhaps /run/mount).

I looked at suckless-programs but it was too advanced for me. The Xinit stuff I will be able to understand once I go through it carefully.   Thanks again.