Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: [SOLVED] Terminal Commands for openRC (Read 1254 times) previous topic - next topic

[SOLVED] Terminal Commands for openRC

I've been to the Artix wiki searching and cannot find a simple list of openRC terminal commands.  I've googled it and searched on openRC etc.  I find Arch, but they are different in many cases now that Arch as gone systemd.

Biggest issue now is getting error messages when I simply want to start or restart a service!  Like cups or one for a vpn (expressvpn).

How do I start a service in terminal emulator on openRC Artix? 

I type sudo service expressvpn restart and it yields "no such command service."  I'm frustrated that I have this amazing distro and can't run things from the command line.  The wiki is helpful for more complicated things having to do with editing things.. but please?  Just a list of terminal commands for openRC Artix?  (not Arch). 

~ hagg

EDITED: Title edited by admin to cantain the expressvpn.

Re: [SOLVED] Terminal Commands for openRC

Reply #4
Thank you and you can tell I'm new at this.. it is solved and thank you for marking it as such.  

The program I wanted to install (expressvpn) is not compatible with Artix, so my problem as posted became moot.  However I now know something new and will use it forever.   ;D

~ hagg

Reply #5
create a openrc init service is relative easy....
if you open the expressvpn.service, you can see:
Code: [Select]
ExecStart=/usr/sbin/expressvpnd --client-version 3.7.0 --client-build 29
same command use now expressvpnd.initd.

they put client version and client build into service, that´s pity, because this number changing every new version. in AUR is now expressvpn-3.7.0.29.

here you find a PKGBUILD for expressvpn-openrc https://github.com/alium/share/raw/master/expressvpn-openrc.tar.gz, build it with "makepkg", install with "pacman -S" and don´t forget enable it via "rc-update add service runlevel"
but in future versions you should yourself change the numbers  in expressvpnd.initd. I do not use expressvpn, but i hope, that it will works.

Reply #6
and please remane this topic to expressvpn service for openRC, if the script will works, it will be more easier find it for another users.

@SGOrava

Reply #7
and please remane this topic to expressvpn service for openRC, if the script will works, it will be more easier find it for another users.

@SGOrava

I'll try you instructions before renaming the topic. 

~ hagg