Skip to main content
Topic: Building a clean chroot to build packages in (Read 1617 times) previous topic - next topic

Building a clean chroot to build packages in

Hello, I've been wanting to set up a clean chroot like Arch allows you to. However using the methods in the given link don't work because they depend on the package systemd-nspawn, which Artix does not have.

I see there's the artools-pkg package, but I'm unsure as to what the provides or is that's what I even need in order to setup a clean chroot.

Some clarification on the wiki would be nice, considering this is a clear deviation from how Arch does things.

The only thing I've found so far seems to be this, which is purely just to create a regular chroot.

Re: Building a clean chroot to build packages in

Reply #1
artools is what you want to use for this. It actually makes it pretty simple. All you need to do is to use the buildpkg-* commands (buildpkg-system for core, buildpkg-world for extra, etc.) There's variants for testing repos as well. You can edit the your artools-base.conf file to change where you want to keep your chroot directories.

It would be worth a wiki entry I suppose.

Reply #2
It would be worth a wiki entry I suppose.

I imagine it definitely would, considering I'm having to figure things out as I go.

I understand the buildpkg command is probably what I'll be using, considering I'm trying to create something for the Arch community repo.

EDIT:

Hmmm, actually it is fairly easy so far.

Reply #3
Code: [Select]
I see there's the artools-pkg package, but I'm unsure as to what the provides or is that's what I even need in order to setup a clean chroot.

this package is primary for us, for package maintainers, 99% of users It doesn't need it ;) which does not prevent the one who wants to use.
I personally see no great reason for wiki entry. It can be inserted here in the forum as a tutorial or how-to.

Reply #4

Hmmm, actually it is fairly easy so far.

The package chroot building is forked from arch, minus the systemd-nspawn calls.

mkarchroot -> mkchroot in artix
makechrootpkg -> mkchrootpkg in artix
extra-x86_64-build -> buildpkg-world in artix

so the arch wiki link you posted pretty much applies for artix too, just the script names are different, and buildpkg(and symlinks) has some minor addition for the CI.