Skip to main content
Topic: UEFI boots to GRUB shell (Read 874 times) previous topic - next topic

UEFI boots to GRUB shell

Last night I installed Artix onto a separate drive in my main system. When I booted again to my existing Artix install it booted into a GRUB shell (the screen that says "Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported"). I tried reinstalling GRUB several times with the instructions here and even wiped (by writing zeros from /dev/zero to it with dd) and reformatted my boot partition several times, to no avail. As said in the title, I am using UEFI. Can someone help me fix this?

Re: UEFI boots to GRUB shell

Reply #1
Sounds as either you either didn't install a kernel and/or run grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

Reply #2
Linux is installed on the system and every time I reinstalled GRUB I ran grub-mkconfig. I have been running this install for a few months now and it all worked before I installed Artix on a separate drive (doing nothing on this install other than mounting it and changing some files in it's home directory). Every time I reinstalled GRUB it finished with no errors.

Reply #3
I don't have UEFI, but I think certainly with MBR boot if you install a new OS you don't need to install Grub again. With 2 drives you set in the BIOS which one you boot from, it's possible to have both bootable and select from BIOS. But say you had left the original drive as the first bootable HDD, then you would configure that Grub from your original OS to see the new OS and boot from it (you could do it the other way round if the new one was going to be your main OS.) The other OS doesn't even need any Grub, it will be booted by the other according to whatever menu selections you choose in Grub.

BIOS, select either---------------drive 1 grub select---os here
  |                                                                                |
or drive2  (grub can be unused)                    os on drive 2

I know with GPT and UEFI you need to be careful about partitioning and leave a gap at the start. Personally I would just have run update-grub in my old install and let it detect the new OS, at least to start with so I could check the fresh one worked OK.