Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: [SOLVED] Can't enable 66 after migration from s6 (Read 5369 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Can't enable 66 after migration from s6

Reply #15
I have DMRAID=!no: https://paste.artixlinux.org/5aacf733

Also I uninstalled mdadm-66 and networkmanager-66. After reboot, 66-intree gives: https://paste.artixlinux.org/c6f4712b

But I still get the message about the "crashing": https://paste.artixlinux.org/97304e9c

Edit: Also I noticed that connmand isn't starting automatically (66-inservice says "enabled, down") on boot. I have to 66-start connmand manually.

Reply #16
Maybe I am blind but I didn’t see any crashing. You can also try 66-update default and let it rebuild the default tree to see if that helps any. I’ve used connman and had no issue like you are having

Reply #17
Line 596 in https://paste.artixlinux.org/97304e9c

And this is what 66-inservice connmand gives me right after startup and "doas su": https://paste.artixlinux.org/da3b75d2

I noticed this, so this could be related to dbus problems during startup:
Code: [Select]
Dependencies          : dbus connmand-log
External dependencies : dbus:default

Reply #18
I don't think you need wpa_supplicant enabled when you have connman running?

Reply #19

I noticed this, so this could be related to dbus problems during startup:
Dependencies          : dbus connmand-log
External dependencies : dbus:default

Depends is fine, extdepends is used when a dep may be in a different tree, which always a chance that someone creates a tree and a service depends on dbus, which may be in a diff tree.

Here is an idea. As root or sudo: rm -rf /run/dbus
66-all -t default down (this will killall services of course)
66-all -t default up
Maybe because /run/dbus was setup in s6, there is some permission issue or something like that happening. Doing this will allow dbus to recreate that dir and what is needed. When ever I was trying to emulate s6's dbus service I ended up having issues and having to reinstall dbus-66 to get my system to work.

Reply #20
I managed to get everything (minus the console font) working. What I did was rearrange dbus to run in its own tree, with a number of services in a subtree, set to start after the default tree. What services I chose to put in the subtree was completely random. :P The main thing is that dbus has to start first.

Now of course even X works. I'm sending this from my laptop's librewolf, under 66. :)

# 66-intree
Name         : boot
Initialized  : yes
Enabled      : no
Starts after : None
Current      : no
Allowed      : root
Symlinks     : svc->source db->source
Contents     : tty-earlier@tty12 system-hostname mount-run populate-run mount-tmp populate-tmp mount-proc mount-sys populate-sys mount-dev mount-pts mount-shm populate-dev mount-cgroups 00 all-Mount modules-kernel udevd-log udevd udevadm devices-lvm system-Devices system-fontnkey system-fsck mount-fstab system-hwclock system-random modules-system system-sysctl all-System mount-rw mount-netfs mount-swap local-loop local-sethostname local-time local-authfiles local-tmpfiles local-rc local-dmesg local-locale all-Local all-Runtime All tty-rc@tty1 tty-rc@tty2 tty-rc@tty4 tty-rc@tty5 tty-rc@tty3 boot@system

Name         : default
Enabled      : yes
Starts after : None
Current      : yes
Contents     : dbus-log dbus avahi-daemon-log avahi-daemon lvm2-monitor syslog-ng-log syslog-ng lvm2-pvscan alsa

Name         : default_after
Enabled      : yes
Starts after : default
Current      : no
Contents     : acpid-log acpid dhcpcd-log dhcpcd chrony-log chrony sshd-log sshd transmission-log transmission atd-log atd syncthing-log syncthing cronie-log cronie connmand-log cupsd-log haveged-log haveged ufw rpcbind-log rpcbind bluetoothd-log bluetoothd rsyncd-log rsyncd cupsd connmand

Now, if only there was apache-66... :P

Reply #21
Awesome! Not sure why you were having issue, but did you manually enable dbus in tree? As the services that depend on it will enable and start it. I don't enable dbus in a tree, I just let sddm and the others do it for me.

Reply #23
Awesome! Not sure why you were having issue, but did you manually enable dbus in tree? As the services that depend on it will enable and start it. I don't enable dbus in a tree, I just let sddm and the others do it for me.
Yes, I did 66-enable dbus. Didn't know I shouldn't? :P

Reply #24
Yes, I did 66-enable dbus. Didn't know I shouldn't? :P
May be why you are having issue, for my system I just do: 66-enable wireguard@wg0 sshd sddm NetworkManager

then elogind and dbus will start before the services. dbus and elogind will get started by sddm.
sddm will start elogind, which elogind will start dbus(due to elogind dep on dbus)

Reply #26
Hope you enjoy 66, once you get the hang of it , it is neat. I like the easy init scripts :)

P.S. Just added apache-66

Reply #27
Well, today I tried to delete the default and default_after trees and just put everything together in recreated default tree without explicitly adding dbus, but adding any service which depends on dbus, like connmand or avahi-daemon, also adds dbus to the same tree. The end result was getting the error about dbus refusing to start again upon reboot. Maybe I'm missing something, if not I can live with the multi-tiered default tree.

Reply #28
Well, today I tried to delete the default and default_after trees and just put everything together in recreated default tree without explicitly adding dbus, but adding any service which depends on dbus, like connmand or avahi-daemon, also adds dbus to the same tree. The end result was getting the error about dbus refusing to start again upon reboot. Maybe I'm missing something, if not I can live with the multi-tiered default tree.
Odd. I just can’t emulate your issue. I was hoping dbus added manually was the issue :/

Reply #29
I can provide whatever info is needed to debug the issue if you want to. If not, specifying the start order of dbus strictly before the services depending on it by putting it in a parent tree solves the issue for me, so in that case you can mark this as solved.

Edit: Maybe this topic is related? It deals with dbus and machine-id: https://forum.artixlinux.org/index.php/topic,2016.msg13531.html#msg13531