Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: [TRACKER] Runit support (Read 13635 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: [TRACKER] Runit support

Reply #15
Yes I followed the wiki, either for the version of installing runit in an Openrc installation. Wants for the net install version only with runit. And always following the wiki, the errors were similar without internet access cable or wifi and never got to the display manager, lxdm, slim, sddm, xdm. As I said I always followed the steps of the wiki and did not solve. I wanted to test an Artix with runit, but I have to make do with Void.

Again, without any logs (or how to reproduce things), I cannot help you.

How about S6, have you ever tried it?
In theory S6 is better than runit, in practice I can't notice any difference in performance.
You can install obarun then keep obarun repositories on top for S6, use artix (instead of arch) below for everything else.  Void is a good system but the variety of pkgs you find here you may never see in void.  If you think void boots up fast wait until you see obarun.

Someone is probably going to scream at me for promoting an other distribution here, but it is a safe way to use S6 in artix, till someone makes the S6-bundle a plug and play item here.  Just make sure you indicate that you have done so, when you are asking for help, so people know who to blame for the problem :)

I have tried s6 some time ago, and while I have interest in supporting s6 for Artix, I have several constraints.

1. I have to make time for trial-and-error, but I can't afford to do so since I have a very hectic schedule in uni atm, and I have to build a support for building iso for runit systems, and fix possible bugs that happened in the runit builds I maintain.

2. S6 requires two different programs (execline and skalibs), as opposed to runit.

3. I need to find a way so Artix can switch init between two existing init systems easily. (I have a prototype, but I cannot consider it production ready since it isn't polished)

4. Someone had tried to do it, and I'll just have to follow the footsteps when I finally step into s6 in case there's no one to step up.

I will eventually try s6 for Artix, but not now, or any time soon.
now only the dinit guy in artix

Reply #16
Please give konimex a little time with his runit packages.
Once these are finished, fine, matured, we gonna focus on supporting iso building with runit.
buildiso used to support systemd, apart from openrc, and it basically has all the stuff in it to easily throw in runit.
We just haven't done any work with runit iso, and I will definitely be the first who built runit iso and tried, apart from konimex, hehe.

Reply #17
If you are talking to me, I was responding to @slblxs not @konimex
I have been following the development of konimex's work and appreciate the effort.
I was suggesting an alternative experiment to slblxs while his runit attempts were failing.

Anyway, here is some good bed-time reading to what I am referring to https://skarnet.org/software/s6/s6-svscan-1.html

On the other hand, running the same desktop, as far as I can tell the same services, daemons, etc. between void, obarun, and artix, in terms of initial resources used at starting idle the score is in the same order.  Small differences and a fraction of what it is with systemd, but runit (for reasons I can't yet explain) comes 1st, S6 a close 2nd, and sysvinit/openrc third.  I think there are more advantages in sticking with one of them, learning to fine tune it, than to be switching back and forth like it is a tire brand on a motorcycle.  Good analogy?  It is what keeps you and your vehicle off the pavement unless speed comes to 0 and you put the stand down.

Reply #18
NOTICE TO ALL RUNIT USERS:

We are now migrating our naming scheme from package_name-runscripts to package_name-runit.

If you are using [gremlins], you should notice that pacman will ask if you want to replace the associated runscript package with runit package, answer yes.

Also, we are moving our available runit-scripts directory from /etc/sv to /etc/runit/sv, this is done to ensure there are no collisions if we add support for s6 systems.

This migration will be completed and the new package should land in [system], [world], and [galaxy] respectively at the end of March or the beginning of April.

In the meantime, all new packages with new naming scheme and new directory are on hold in [gremlins] and [galaxy-gremlins], respectively.

COMPLETED:
- [system], now on [gremlins]

IN PROGRESS:
- [world], some on [gremlins]

NOT STARTED YET:
- [galaxy]

Reply #19

I'm going to wait a little longer and then try to install runit from scratch. 8)

Reply #20
NOTICE TO ALL RUNIT USERS:

We are now migrating our naming scheme from package_name-runscripts to package_name-runit.

If you are using [gremlins], you should notice that pacman will ask if you want to replace the associated runscript package with runit package, answer yes.

Also, we are moving our available runit-scripts directory from /etc/sv to /etc/runit/sv, this is done to ensure there are no collisions if we add support for s6 systems.

This migration will be completed and the new package should land in [system], [world], and [galaxy] respectively at the end of March or the beginning of April.

In the meantime, all new packages with new naming scheme and new directory are on hold in [gremlins] and [galaxy-gremlins], respectively.

COMPLETED:
- [system], now on [gremlins]

IN PROGRESS:
- [world], some on [gremlins]

NOT STARTED YET:
- [galaxy]

That is great news I just love S6 and runit, But will wait a while before doing a clean install

Reply #21
 I installed artix openrc in a virtualbox, I followed the wiki to install runit. I did all the steps, but when I go to uninstall openrc, this message appears.

Code: [Select]
[sl slb]# ln -s /usr/lib/runit-artix/bin/halt /usr/bin/halt
ln: failed to create symbolic link '/usr/bin/halt': File exists
[sl slb]# ln -s /usr/lib/runit-artix/bin/pause /usr/bin/pause
[sl slb]# ln -s /usr/lib/runit-artix/bin/shutdown /usr/bin/shutdown
ln: failed to create symbolic link '/usr/bin/shutdown': File exists
[sl slb]# ln -s /usr/lib/runit-artix/bin/modules-load /usr/bin/modules-load
[sl slb]# ln -s /usr/lib/runit-artix/bin/zzz /usr/bin/zzz
[sl slb]# ln -s halt /usr/bin/poweroff
ln: failed to create symbolic link '/usr/bin/poweroff': File exists
[sl slb]# ln -s halt /usr/bin/reboot
ln: failed to create symbolic link '/usr/bin/reboot': File exists
[sl slb]# ln -s runit-init /usr/bin/init
ln: failed to create symbolic link '/usr/bin/init': File exists
[sl slb]#
[sl slb]#  /etc/sv/NetworkManager/run
bash: /etc/sv/NetworkManager/run: No such file or directory
[sl slb]#

And then

[sl slb]# pacman -R openrc
a verificar dependências...
erro: falhou ao preparar a transação (não foi possível cumprir as dependências)
:: acpid-openrc: ao remover openrc quebra a dependência 'openrc'
:: alsa-utils-openrc: ao remover openrc quebra a dependência 'openrc'
:: cronie-openrc: ao remover openrc quebra a dependência 'openrc'
:: dbus-openrc: ao remover openrc quebra a dependência 'openrc'
:: dhcpcd-openrc: ao remover openrc quebra a dependência 'openrc'
:: haveged-openrc: ao remover openrc quebra a dependência 'openrc'
:: kmod-openrc: ao remover openrc quebra a dependência 'openrc'
:: mdadm-openrc: ao remover openrc quebra a dependência 'openrc'
:: ntp-openrc: ao remover openrc quebra a dependência 'openrc'
:: openrc-settingsd: ao remover openrc quebra a dependência 'openrc'
:: openssh-openrc: ao remover openrc quebra a dependência 'openrc'
:: rpcbind-openrc: ao remover openrc quebra a dependência 'openrc'
:: rsync-openrc: ao remover openrc quebra a dependência 'openrc'
:: syslog-ng-openrc: ao remover openrc quebra a dependência 'openrc'
:: wpa_supplicant-openrc: ao remover openrc quebra a dependência 'openrc'
[sl slb]#

I apologize, but the system is in Portuguese so the answer of the dependencies is in Portuguese. How can I solve it without breaking the system?

Reply #22
I installed artix openrc in a virtualbox, I followed the wiki to install runit. I did all the steps, but when I go to uninstall openrc, this message appears.

[sl slb]#
[sl slb]#

And then

[sl slb]#

I apologize, but the system is in Portuguese so the answer of the dependencies is in Portuguese. How can I solve it without breaking the system?
Change the ln -s to ln -sf, this will foce it to replace those symlinks.
Chris Cromer

Reply #24
As far as internet goes, you need to install the runit scripts for networking. In my particular case I needed NetworkManager and dhcpcd. On a notebook you would probably need something like wpa_supplicant for wifi. Without these service scripts running internet cannot be achieved.
Chris Cromer

Reply #25
Sorry for late reply. It's midterms right now so I'm quite busy.

Thanks for the help, but I continue without accessing the login screen and without internet. Here photos of how it is;

https://imgur.com/a/FqZ7F
 https://imgur.com/a/EI0N8
As far as internet goes, you need to install the runit scripts for networking. In my particular case I needed NetworkManager and dhcpcd. On a notebook you would probably need something like wpa_supplicant for wifi. Without these service scripts running internet cannot be achieved.
AFAIC Xorg is not a runit issue (unless you're trying to use a DM) but for networking, see also: https://wiki.artixlinux.org/Runit/NetworkConfiguration

Also, I'm migrating the runitscript folders so expect the directories to be changed and the wikis to be updated at the end of March/beginning of April.

[sl slb]#
[sl slb]#

And then

[sl slb]#

Did you see the wiki page for runit?

WARNING: If you still have openrc installed, make sure to make the symlinks for halt, shutdown, poweroff and reboot in /usr/local/bin instead for easier deletion.

Reply #26
 Yes @konimex, I followed every step of the wiki, even in the wakeup call to leave the network manager functional. Even before rebooting, I took a look at the Void linux wiki. But still, the same problems remain, I'll wait a few weeks and then try again. Thanks again for your help.

Reply #27
Hey guys. An update here.

As I said earlier some time ago, we are moving our whole runitscripts to /etc/runit/sv from /etc/sv, also we are changing the naming schemes from "package-runscripts" to "package-runit".

Today, we have finished migrating our runit (now [system], but [world] and [galaxy] should be finished before midnight UTC) packages to its own PKGBUILD as I promised (at the end of March or the beginning of April).

If you're on [gremlins] and you don't have any runitscript in [galaxy], you probably don't have to do this again. However, if you are on stable or if you have a runitscript in [galaxy] installed, you will need to move your symlinks.

For example, if you have the package "openntpd-runit" (used to be "openntpd-runscripts"), overwrite your symlink:

ln -sf /etc/runit/sv/openntpd /run/runit/service

The other changes are just some internal restructuring on our runit-artix stage 3. That's it.

Any questions? Feel free to ask!

Yes @konimex, I followed every step of the wiki, even in the wakeup call to leave the network manager functional. Even before rebooting, I took a look at the Void linux wiki. But still, the same problems remain, I'll wait a few weeks and then try again. Thanks again for your help.

I think I forgot a step in the docs. Did you install the package "runit-artix"?

Reply #28
I just wanted to say thanks for the work on runit support. I've just started testing it out on one of my machines and I really like it a lot so far. Switching was really simple and I'll be sure to migrate everything else soon.

Reply #29
Just a quick question. Is there any reason to be concerned about this error? On boot, I get this message and I don't know why.

[    3.670727] elogind[605]: Failed to connect to system bus: No such file or directory
[    3.670770] elogind[605]: Failed to fully start up daemon: No such file or directory

As far as I can tell, this does absolutely nothing. I have dbus and elogind up and running just fine over here. I don't know why it's giving me that message unless I'm just forgetting a service.