Skip to main content
Topic: General question about runit (Read 699 times) previous topic - next topic

General question about runit

I'm currently running Garuda with the Plasma desktop and would like to test a nonsystemd distro. From what I've read Artix with runit with the Plasma desktop would probably give me my best experience. My main concern is having a good tutorial for getting apps like Emby, Radarr, Sonarr, etc.... to autostart under runit.  Can someone please point me in the right direction? A second question is I'm hoping OS prober is not installed cause I'd just as soon press f8 and bring up the boot selection memu, cause too may times I've seen one OS because of a bad update break both OS's on a system. Thanks

Re: General question about runit

Reply #1
I'm currently running Garuda with the Plasma desktop and would like to test a nonsystemd distro. From what I've read Artix with runit with the Plasma desktop would probably give me my best experience.

Welcome aboard.

My main concern is having a good tutorial for getting apps like Emby, Radarr, Sonarr, etc.... to autostart under runit.  Can someone please point me in the right direction?

Creating a service for runit is pretty easy, and it's covered by this portion of their FAQ. Refer to the manpages or ask for help if you're stuck.

note: systemd type 'forking' services can't be emulated, you'll have to find a way to make them 'simple' type.

A second question is I'm hoping OS prober is not installed cause I'd just as soon press f8 and bring up the boot selection memu, cause too may times I've seen one OS because of a bad update break both OS's on a system. Thanks

Even if you have os-prober installed, you have to go out of your way to enable it in Artix, so I guess it won't be a problem.

Re: General question about runit

Reply #2
Thanks for the info it's much appreciated.