Skip to main content

Poll

What other language sub-forum would you like to have?

Russian
[ 5 ] (38.5%)
Chinese
[ 3 ] (23.1%)
Italian
[ 4 ] (30.8%)
Arabic
[ 1 ] (7.7%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Topic: Non-english subforums poll (Read 29532 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Non-english subforums poll

Reply #17
Even if we have users needing support in all those languages, we don't really have enough people to provide it. Or do we have at least one person for every language that we currently provide?

Reply #18
Hindi is a common female Yiddish name

Reply #19
Perhaps there could be an "other languages" forum, because most translators can autodetect, and then you would see if any language later required a separate forum. There are not many posts in any of the non english forums, and there are so many interesting and worthwhile languages. How can anyone guess where users will be from? Hidu means "to rain" in Ethiopian Amharic, and "sniff/smell" in Malay. So it could be an idea for a scent based forum interface instead of a written one.  :D I hadn't known what the difference was between Hebrew and Yiddish until mrbrklyn mentioned Hebrew some time ago and I looked it up, but they are quite distinct from each other.

Reply #20
I suppose we could create a Russian language subforum, given the votes, and an "Other Languages" one, as @####### (how do I pronounce that?) suggested. I need some help from a Russian-speaking member for naming the subforum in cyrillic, I'd rather not use google translate for that.

Reply #21
If we made a native Yiddish installation of Artix and I an be assured that at least a dozen of so Chassidim would be happy to try it and work in it.  It doesn't really need a new forum though.  It can be a subform of a Hebrew and German forum.

Maybe all these differnet languages just serves to divide peoples and foster tribalism.  That is what happened in the EU, right?  If the entire EU adopted English, we would not likely be looking and Brexit.

or we can do this:
https://cdli.ucla.edu/collections/bm/bm.html

Reply #22
Maybe all these differnet languages just serves to divide peoples and foster tribalism.  That is what happened in the EU, right?  If the entire EU adopted English, we would not likely be looking and Brexit.

The languages pre-existed EU and the UK wasn't ever so much into EU.  In the UK when they say Europe they don't mean or include themselves in it.
English was one of the official languages of EU, I don't know if it will stay that way after Brexit.  I think Ireland lists English as a 2nd official language, and the only other country that speaks English is Malta.  In Cyprus, Greece, Scandinavian countries, the Netherlands, as a visitor only speaking English you have no problems.  Maybe Germany to a lesser extend, but the rest of Europe is not very friendly to English speaking.

Language I think was the last concern to keep the EU connected, as expected it was economical reasons and competitiveness.  Either way, brexit or no brexit, the lower class in the UK will pay the damage, as always.  The EU was a product of old time thinking, of national economies and national interests.  The economy now has no borders and there is no such thing as national economy, except for government budget and taxation issues.  So the EU is obsolete. 

Reply #23
i was born in poland and i have lived 5 years in the uk and i am slowly becoming fed up with english language, mostly because of american movies, they're crap and all speak the same language.

Reply #24
The languages pre-existed EU and the UK wasn't ever so much into EU.  In the UK when they say Europe they don't mean or include themselves in it.
English was one of the official languages of EU, I don't know if it will stay that way after Brexit.  I think Ireland lists English as a 2nd official language, and the only other country that speaks English is Malta.  In Cyprus, Greece, Scandinavian countries, the Netherlands, as a visitor only speaking English you have no problems.  Maybe Germany to a lesser extend, but the rest of Europe is not very friendly to English speaking.

Language I think was the last concern to keep the EU connected, as expected it was economical reasons and competitiveness.  Either way, brexit or no brexit, the lower class in the UK will pay the damage, as always.  The EU was a product of old time thinking, of national economies and national interests.  The economy now has no borders and there is no such thing as national economy, except for government budget and taxation issues.  So the EU is obsolete. 

after the Russian invasiont they will standardarze on Russian

Reply #25
i was born in poland and i have lived 5 years in the uk and i am slowly becoming fed up with english language, mostly because of american movies, they're crap and all speak the same language.
I'm British the Americans that 1st populated the US were mainly sent their as prisoners for things like murder most were illiterate hence English US was born, The same thing happened in the land of OS.
But then you are Polish and have similar problems With polish and Russian, from what my Polish friends tell me.
The Uk companies tent to exploit Polish workers well any foreign workers.  

Reply #26

Britain was never considered as Europe never was never will be. Brexit is the best thing for the UK we don't need the EU they need us.
Its been a one way trade for the last 40 years, The UK has been asset stripped by the EU and Tony Blairs new Labour, they sold all the UK gold reserves to prop up their bad government decisions and stange how a man that resigned as prime minister claiming to be broke needing to borrow money to buy a house became a multy millionaire with in a year. :-X   

Reply #27
Britain was never considered as Europe never was never will be. Brexit is the best thing for the UK we don't need the EU they need us.
Its been a one way trade for the last 40 years, The UK has been asset stripped by the EU and Tony Blairs new Labour, they sold all the UK gold reserves to prop up their bad government decisions and stange how a man that resigned as prime minister claiming to be broke needing to borrow money to buy a house became a multy millionaire with in a year. :-X   

No the first West European Americans where Spanish and Portuguese and neither of those languages are even in the POLL!!

Reply #28
sorry i always thought Columbus was English he was in fact Italian or was it  in the Sixth Century — Irish Monks:?
10th Century — The Vikings: ?  15th Century — The Chinese:?
These all out any Spanish or the likes.

Reply #29
sorry i always thought Columbus was English

Chios Greece mariners believe he was from Chios.  At least he seemed as a true explorer, unlike those that followed who were all cold blooded murderers, rapists, and destroyers, and above all ripped off anyone on their way.  Then the English came and would pirate the rapists murderers on their way back.  Then they killed all the Jewish bankers (and their families) and hired Lombards to do the pirates' dirty work, hence Lombard street (banking strip) in most English colonies. 
The hunt for the Holly Grail continues.