Skip to main content
Topic: updating/adding ARCH kernel modules to ARTIX (Read 3349 times) previous topic - next topic

updating/adding ARCH kernel modules to ARTIX

So I noticed linux/linux-headers (4.14.6-1) is now in ARTIX
this requires a few other packages to be moved over to ARTIX as well, particularly kernel modules, and in my case specifically

from extra:
Code: [Select]
nvidia
from community:
r8168

since both of those reference

[/usr]/lib/modules/extramodules-4.14-ARCH

rather than -ARTIX as per the linux package

strangely enough, nvidia-ck was already in world[-testing] and nvidia-lts (from extra) never had an issue.

I've had to manually build some of the ck modules as well for this same reason (specifically r8168, I had to create a new package called r8168-ck that mirrors everything in r8168 except as referenced above, to "extramodules-4.14-ck" in that situation.  A simple edit of the PKGBUILD (and/or other files in the package) is needed.

Now that it looks like artix is moving the main kernel over, please make a note of the modules needing updating, as I'm sure other modules that others may use will also be affected.   Otherwise, all seems to be going well, and thanks!

Re: updating/adding ARCH kernel modules to ARTIX

Reply #1
The artix mainline kernel was necessary to get my new dev box working with amdgpu driver.
I switched over to radeon from long years of nvidia.
Now I can test wayland.

Virtualbox modules had a name change, or better, the LTS modules are now named with lts.

Reply #2
Just to pile on to this thread...
Virtualbox modules fail to load with the current kernel (4.14.6-1).

The ARCH version of virtualbox-host-modules-arch installs the kernal modules to /lib/modules/extramodules-4.14-ARCH.
(According to pacman -Ql virtualbox-host-modules-arch )

On boot, system does not look for the vbox* modules at this location and reports the error that modules are not loaded.

Symlinking the modules and then a modprobe doesn't help (or I've done something wrong in the attempt).

I'm open to suggestions on how to resolve as virtualbox is broken for me now.

Reply #3
Just to pile on to this thread...
Virtualbox modules fail to load with the current kernel (4.14.6-1).

well if you're using the "vanilla" artix kernel (linux in the system repo) you'd have to do what I did for the nvidia/r8168, that is download the PKGBUILD, and replace all instances of "ARCH" with "ARTIX" so that it matches what the kernel is providing (/lib/modules/extramodules-4.14-ARTIX  vs -4.14-ARCH which the packages in [extra] are expecting)

or use the -lts kernel and vbox modules like artoo said

Reply #4
well if you're using the "vanilla" artix kernel (linux in the system repo) you'd have to do what I did for the nvidia/r8168, that is download the PKGBUILD, and replace all instances of "ARCH" with "ARTIX" so that it matches what the kernel is providing (/lib/modules/extramodules-4.14-ARTIX  vs -4.14-ARCH which the packages in [extra] are expecting)

or use the -lts kernel and vbox modules like artoo said

I was starting to reach the conclusion about a local PKGBUILD myself. I was hoping there was another alternative.

Reply #5
I added all necessary kernel modules for mainline and lts kernel in galaxy-testing.

Regarding virtualbox modules, if you are on lts kernel, remove virtualbox-host(or guest)-modules-artix and install the virtualbox-host(or guest)-modules-artix-lts.

As for nvidia, I recommend to use dkms.

Reply #7
I added all necessary kernel modules for mainline and lts kernel in galaxy-testing.

Regarding virtualbox modules, if you are on lts kernel, remove virtualbox-host(or guest)-modules-artix and install the virtualbox-host(or guest)-modules-artix-lts.

As for nvidia, I recommend to use dkms.
Not using testing and not using LTS kernel - two strikes.
I ended up with a local PKGBUILD just to get virtualbox working.
Building the package requires virtualbox-host(or guest)-dkms package installed.
Then when installing the produced package virtualbox-host-modules-arch, pacman complains of conflict and the need to remove virtualbox-host-dkms. modprobe is successful.

Looks like I'll have to live with this (painful) workaround for the moment. I have to read up on chroot environment for package building.

Reply #8
I just ran into this same problem (main kernel, now 4.15.4-1-ARTIX but nvidia-340xx installs under ARCH.  I'll go for the dkms, or maybe just enable testing, but I'm curious why this is still a problem four months later.

Reply #9
7 months later, and this just bit me again, on a clean install.

Reply #10
I think a version mismatch between virtualbox (in the community repo) and the virtualbox modules (in the galaxy repo) can cause this.

Reply #11
I have learned the trick, if you just need a kernel the newest kernel is fine, if you need headers and artix-modules for vm work you have to wait and keep the previous kernel.  In this period do not upgrade linux and linux-headers (or -lts and lts-headers) just keep linux4.18 till you see an update in the artix-modules(host/guest). 
Once the new modules come out they should be good till linux4.20 comes out, then for that new period you add linux and linux-headers back on the ignore list.

Unless there is something in this new kernel you really couldn't wait to use I don't see a reason to upgrade the kernel right away.  Now if you updated the kernel and didn't force it you must have removed the modules as they conflict.  Luckily you hold on to your cache for a few weeks.

system/linux 4.19.2.artix1-1 (base) [installed: 4.18.16.artix1-1]
    The Linux kernel and modules
system/linux-headers 4.19.2.artix1-1 [installed: 4.18.16.artix1-1]
    Header files and scripts for building modules for Linux kernel
galaxy/virtualbox-guest-modules-artix 5.2.20-3 [installed]
    Virtualbox guest kernel modules for Artix Kernel
galaxy/virtualbox-host-modules-artix 5.2.20-3 [installed]
    Virtualbox host kernel modules for Artix Kernel

:: installing linux (4.19.2.artix1-1) breaks dependency 'linux<4.19' required by virtualbox-guest-modules-artix
:: installing linux (4.19.2.artix1-1) breaks dependency 'linux<4.19' required by virtualbox-host-modules-artix