Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: [SOLVED] GUI installer not working? multiple flavors (Read 971 times) previous topic - next topic

[SOLVED] GUI installer not working? multiple flavors

Hi, I've been trying to install artix via the GUI installer, and have tried quite a few different flavors (all runit), however, i'm having the same issue with all of them where on first boot after installation (and all subsequent) i get "dropped into the emergency shell" after it fails to find the partition by UUID (or at least that's what i think is happening). I know the forum is meant more for help with the manual installation methods, but I'm hoping I can still get some help...

ERROR: device 'UUID=11111111-1111-1111-1111-1111111111111' not found. skipping fsck.
mount: /new_root: can't find UUID=11111111-1111-1111-1111-1111111111111.
You are now being dropped into an emergency shell.
sh: can't access tty: job control turned off

Re: GUI installer not working? multiple flavors

Reply #1
From a chroot, the shell, or before you log out from an install attempt, check or edit /etc/fstab so it points to the correct partition, (find this with blkid) run update-grub, mkinitcpio -P, check /boot/grub/grub.cfg points to the right partition for the relevant kernel entry - perhaps that might help?

Reply #2
From a chroot, the shell, or before you log out from an install attempt, check or edit /etc/fstab so it points to the correct partition, (find this with blkid) run update-grub, mkinitcpio -P, check /boot/grub/grub.cfg points to the right partition for the relevant kernel entry - perhaps that might help?

hey thanks for the fast response, i think i can manage all of that, just need a bit of clarification on what you mean by "for the relevant kernel entry"

is that this section in grub.cfg?

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/10_linux ###

edit:

I wasn't able to do your recommendation from the emergency shell (is that what you meant by "from the shell"?) and am a bit lost using chroot.. (i managed to confirm that fstab points to the correct partition, but wasn't able to run update-grub) i think i'm in a bit over my head, perhaps i should stick with a simpler distro. I was trying the GUI installer after getting stuck multiple times on the manual installation.

Reply #4
Yes, it depends what rescue shell you ended up in what you can do from there, sounds like chrooting would be best. If you got anywhere at all with a base install you've probably chrooted before. There are lines in grub.cfg like:
Code: [Select]
menuentry 'Artix Linux' --class artix --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os $menuentry_id_option 'gnulinux-simple-xxx-root-uuid-xxx
        else
          search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root xxx-boot-uuid-xxx
linux   /vmlinuz-linux-git root=UUID=xxx-root-uuid-xxx
In my case with separate boot partition that gets a mention a couple of times in the menu entry, and you see the root partition appears a couple of times as well - if that didn't match with the blkid UUID for the relevant partition(s) then it would be a clue to investigate further.

Reply #5
hey #######,

thanks for following up. I did chroot when trying to set up base. is doing it again just as simple as typing artix-chroot again?

I did managed to view those files just from a live usb though. like I said, fstab pointed to the right UUID

grub.cfg did too, here's the entry. I noticed however, that the "boot-uuid-xxx" present in yours is not in mine. I'm using UEFI so I also have a separate boot partition

Code: [Select]
menuentry 'Artix Linux' --class artix --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os $menuentry_id_option 'gnulinux-simple-11111111-1111-1111-1111-111111111111' {
load_video
set gfxpayload=keep
insmod gzio
insmod part_gpt
insmod ext2
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 11111111-1111-1111-1111-111111111111
echo 'Loading Linux linux ...'
linux /boot/vmlinuz-linux root=UUID=11111111-1111-1111-1111-111111111111 rw  loglevel=3 quiet
echo 'Loading initial ramdisk ...'
initrd /boot/intel-ucode.img /boot/initramfs-linux.img
}

any ideas?

Reply #6
I wouldn't think uuid would all be 1's ?

Reply #7
probably not necessary but i censored it. saw someone else censoring when googling trying to figure stuff out and... monkey see monkey do i guess

Reply #8
https://forum.manjaro.org/t/new-manjaro-install-dual-boot-gives-cant-find-uuid-error/37909/18
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=263129
Searching the error messages suggests adding the 'vmd' module to the initcpio or turning off Raid option in BIOS? You could also try looking at BIOS options in general in case anything else looked helpful.
Posting a few more details about hw make and model and install details like drive type, partition layout, dual boot or not, real or virtual machine etc. could be helpful as there are a lot of possibilities.

Reply #9
Thanks so much for the help #######, turning off the raid option in bios and setting it to default, AHCI controller did the trick. I had searched my error message, but i guess i didn't spend enough time combing through search results... I'm sorry if I wasted your time, but am also very grateful for it. Thank you!!!