Skip to main content
Topic: [Help] Dinit Terminates The Service Due to Signal 11 (Read 762 times) previous topic - next topic

[Help] Dinit Terminates The Service Due to Signal 11

Hello all. I'm currently trying to port ly dm to dinit but i have a problem. When starting the service, it throws signal 11 and after a few attempts, stops the dm service. But there's no problem with the executable and working perfectly. Firstly i thought maybe my port is broken because i did some another edits on the source code (i don't know c btw, i just removed the doom animation and it works) but when i tried the original one with the same service file, still throws signal 11. So i thought there's a problem with dinit.

Original ly source: https://github.com/nullgemm/ly
My fork: https://gitlab.com/myartix/ly-dinit
Service file:
Code: [Select]
type = process
command = /usr/bin/ly
smooth-recovery = true
waits-for = setup

Re: [Help] Dinit Terminates The Service Due to Signal 11

Reply #1
Since I first heard of ly, I was wondering what is its target audience. People who prefer minimalism and text mode to GUI (like myself), ok. But if so, what's wrong with plain getty, perhaps coupled with Autostart X at login (or not)? For "eye candy", one can always edit branding.start or disable it and edit /etc/issue.

Display managers are superfluous. Their job is to take your credentials and log you in, most often starting X afterwards. This is already done by getty and shell initialization scripts.

Reply #2
Nothing wrong with getty. I'm lazy person and i hate ricing, because of this i always used desktop environments and dm's like gdm or ssdm. Yes i used i3, dwm sometimes and didn't even install any desktop environment but this is boring. Now im trying to minimal rice so that's why im using ly; its configurable, has a nice TUI by default and bla bla.

And im not making this port not just for me. Maybe a random guy wanted to use ly with dinit on another system but there's no port and s/he doesn't have any knowledge with porting, but here is mine. Everybody is not same, i can use autostart x but someone doesn't wants, s/he just wants dm.

Btw thanks for the autostart thing, i didn't know that. Now i'm probably not going to install dm anymore but i still need help to fix this. Even though it won't be used by me or anyone else after I fix it.

Reply #3
man 5 dinit-service mentions that programs that want access to the console need special values in the options key.

Like strajder, I find DM's redundant, but maybe it's having a segmentation fault due to not having access to the console.

Reply #4
Wow. I read the section on the GitHub repository but it didn't occur to me that ly is a console app. I'm such a retard. Thanks, problem is solved.