Skip to main content
Topic: pakku - Artix repos supported and binary packages can be rebuilt easily (Read 875 times) previous topic - next topic

pakku - Artix repos supported and binary packages can be rebuilt easily

pakku-git in the AUR (not pakku at present)  now supports the main Artix repos for the -Sz and -Sn options. So for example you can use (NOT as root):
Code: [Select]
pakku -Sn libwacom libinput
press y or n at the appropriate prompts and type in your password when requested and a short while later you'll have them rebuilt on your own system which should pick up the right solibs too, I tried this earlier and the results are still working fine here...
Also if  you want to quickly get the PKGBUILD and associated files for some package/s you can use:
Code: [Select]
pakku -Sz nano xz zip
and even specify version numbers to downgrade things or build the latest version from gremlins without needing to enable the repo. This saves a lot of time I have found - it also makes it possible to create all kinds of mayhem if not used with care or if things go wrong - but you can probably manage that without Pakku too, well I can anyway  ;D
There are various small issues and things other AUR helpers can do which are still unfixed:
https://github.com/zqqw/pakku/wiki/Plans
Plus universe and omniverse aren't supported (only regarding -Sn and -Sz, they work with all normal pacman actions), and customizepkg isn't working on Arch and Artix repos atm due to a path issue.
But despite all that it's working pretty well overall (pakku passes pacman options to pacman itself, so all that part is just like using pacman with exactly the same syntax) and I find it really helpful and use it as my main way to manage packages.

Re: pakku - Artix repos supported and binary packages can be rebuilt easily

Reply #1
Yaourtix, a customised version of yaourt with Artix support, works very much similar to what you describe of pakku-git. It is available in the universe repo. It is the "aur helper" that I use.

Best regards.
We should try to be kind to everyone.....we are all fighting some sort of battle.

Re: pakku - Artix repos supported and binary packages can be rebuilt easily

Reply #2
Yes, there was a discussion about that on the forums here a couple of years ago, where various people were looking for a "modern" AUR helper that could do what Yaourtix could due to security concerns, to rebuild repo packages with personal modifications using customizepkg. The only one that could rebuild binary repo packages (at the time, not sure if any can now) was pakku, although it didn't work with Artix repos. But shortly after Pakku stopped working due to updates in Nim which was undergoing a lot of changes, Kitsunyan the Pakku author switched to Gentoo, although did reappear at intervals and fix things a few times, other stuff broke, several people helped out from Arch and Nim, Nim has become more stable (although the forthcoming 2.0 could bring some breaking changes apparently) and Pakku is built occasionally against nim-git to try and keep up to date in that respect.
So now Pakku could be an alternative to Yaourtix, or at least heading that way - although given the stability of shell scripts and the fact some external change typically breaks Pakku every few months (and there's no jguer or morganamilo etc. to provide a 5 minute fix) I'd definitely say alternative not replacement so long as someone's happy to keep Yaourtix updated and people like using it. ;D
(edit - customizepkg is working in Pakku now)