Skip to main content
Topic: TOSHIBA laptop keyboard+trackpad most of time do not work (Read 5589 times) previous topic - next topic

TOSHIBA laptop keyboard+trackpad most of time do not work

Hey guys, I've had this laptop for years & its been doing this since I started using Linux in 2015, its the nicest laptop I own, the keyboard and trackpad just don't work sometimes... Sometimes they do though, its very odd. It only does this on Linux & BSD, it never does this on Windows... Why?
Its the strangest problem, I've ignored it for years hoping it would just eventually go away but it hasn't, I was really hoping one day a kernel update might solve it, but I'm starting to think it may not be the kernel, I'm not really sure what it is... the power button always works though..

This laptop is a Toshiba Satellite L850D PSKGCC-00C002 and it has a dual-core 2.7GHz A6-4400M 16GB DDR3 1600mhz RAM, and the video card is a Radeon HD 7520G... Where should I go with this information??? Where do I report a hardware issue like this? its a 'AMD/ATI Trinity' if that helps. its an APU.

When I try to use the linux-ck kernel, the indicator on plank tells me the CPU is running at around 100% but the ram is very low & I have nothing open.. I'm experiencing a lot of lag for some reason when I try to open anything, even a lightweight internet browser like Qupzilla... I'm just not sure what's wrong with this thing... I'm gonna give OpenIndianna a shot I suppose, I just want SOMETHING other than windows to work on this thing :/
If anyone has any suggestions what I might be able to use on this thing let me know...

I just find this very weird because I have a Toshiba Satellite L745D PSK16C-006003 AMD A6-3400M APU quad-core 1.4GHz 8GB DDR3 1333mhz 'AMD/ATI BeaverCreek' that is nearly identical(I got it without a screen, use it as my server) and it runs just fine! Its the exact same model just an earlier version.

I've got the L850D working fine right now at this moment, but its really hit-and-miss on bootup with all Linux distros as well as FreeBSD... I wonder if NetBSD would be any different.

Re: TOSHIBA laptop keyboard+trackpad most of time do not work

Reply #1
Maybe because the open-source drivers for the components of that particular model aren't that great.

Reply #2
this might be solved with some kernel parameter at boot or by changing configuration for some modules....

that it works for older model means that older model is using different components (or revisions which have different behaviour)
from my experience even the same model of laptop have a lot of revisions and is using a lot of different components

for start you should provide some concrete data for research...
  • lspci
  • lsusb
  • dmesg (when the described problems happen)
  • also add logs from X and what you think is important

Reply #3
Also the output from xinput should be pretty relevant

Reply #4
this might be solved with some kernel parameter at boot or by changing configuration for some modules....

that it works for older model means that older model is using different components (or revisions which have different behaviour)
from my experience even the same model of laptop have a lot of revisions and is using a lot of different components

for start you should provide some concrete data for research...
  • lspci
  • lsusb
  • dmesg (when the described problems happen)
  • also add logs from X and what you think is important

Also the output from xinput should be pretty relevant

Thanks guys! I will get you the output of all of these commands. I will post them here momentarily, gonna eat breakfast.

Reply #5
I almost lost one of my toes, sorry this took so long to get back to. (Adding more momentarily)

pastebin for lspci -nnk:
https://pastebin.com/hrkzsFV8

pastebin for lsusb -t:
https://pastebin.com/qSek8uzN

pastebin for dmesg:
https://pastebin.com/3aKzYK74

How do I get logs from X??? Not sure how to do that... Output of xinput? OK

bash: xinput: command not found

sudo: xinput: command not found

as far as relevant info goes, I notice that -hardened & -ck linux kernels are for some reason very laggy sometimes. The normal kernel is hit-&-miss, sometimes its OK and sometimes its not.. dunno what to make of this, I'd love to give ReactOS a go but they're STILL in alpha, even after like 3 years, it'll be interesting to see an open-source windows NT kernel ported onto Linux to replace wine one day, kind of like how BSD lets you install a Linux kernel. Tried to see if OpenIndianna would work but it won't even boot up from USB for some reason, tried re-downloading a few times too.

Reply #6
Kenny, I don't know how others feel, but this is not IRC.  If you dump things on pastebill then it is  not saved for posperity for others who might also have your problems and be looking for a solution.  That largely defeats the purpose of a forum.

Reply #8
ls -alt|less
total 1812360
drwx------    7 ruben users          186 Jan 18 00:44 .purple
-rw-------    1 ruben users     20298602 Jan 18 00:12 .xsession-errors
drwxrwxrwx  295 ruben users        24576 Jan 17 08:36 .
-rw-r--r--    1 ruben users        26314 Jan 17 08:36 .viminfo

Looks like ./xsession-errors still is the place to look

also
Code: [Select]
[ruben@flatbush ~]$ sudo lsof |grep Xorg|grep log
lsof: WARNING: can't stat() fuse file system /run/user/1000/doc
      Output information may be incomplete.
lsof: WARNING: can't stat() fuse.gvfsd-fuse file system /run/user/1000/gvfs
lsof: WARNING: can't stat() fuse.sshfs file system /home/ruben/mnt4
Xorg       2922          root  mem       REG                8,5    437344   36043732 /usr/lib/libelogind.so.0.19.4
Xorg       2922          root    1w      REG                8,5       931   51052290 /var/log/lightdm/x-0.log
Xorg       2922          root    2w      REG                8,5       931   51052290 /var/log/lightdm/x-0.log
Xorg       2922          root    4w      REG                8,5     30593   33588824 /var/log/Xorg.0.log
Xorg       2922  2939    root  mem       REG                8,5    437344   36043732 /usr/lib/libelogind.so.0.19.4
Xorg       2922  2939    root    1w      REG                8,5       931   51052290 /var/log/lightdm/x-0.log
Xorg       2922  2939    root    2w      REG                8,5       931   51052290 /var/log/lightdm/x-0.log
Xorg       2922  2939    root    4w      REG                8,5     30593   33588824 /var/log/Xorg.0.log
Xorg       2922  2940    root  mem       REG                8,5    437344   36043732 /usr/lib/libelogind.so.0.19.4
Xorg       2922  2940    root    1w      REG                8,5       931   51052290 /var/log/lightdm/x-0.log
Xorg       2922  2940    root    2w      REG                8,5       931   51052290 /var/log/lightdm/x-0.log
Xorg       2922  2940    root    4w      REG                8,5     30593   33588824 /var/log/Xorg.0.log
Xorg       2922  2941    root  mem       REG                8,5    437344   36043732 /usr/lib/libelogind.so.0.19.4
Xorg       2922  2941    root    1w      REG                8,5       931   51052290 /var/log/lightdm/x-0.log
Xorg       2922  2941    root    2w      REG                8,5       931   51052290 /var/log/lightdm/x-0.log
Xorg       2922  2941    root    4w      REG                8,5     30593   33588824 /var/log/Xorg.0.log
InputThre  2922  3123    root    4w      REG                8,5     30593   33588824 /var/log/Xorg.0.log

Reply #9
Kenny, I don't know how others feel, but this is not IRC.  If you dump things on pastebill then it is  not saved for posperity for others who might also have your problems and be looking for a solution.  That largely defeats the purpose of a forum.

Well I've been told to use pastebin here before so that's what I used. not saved for posperity???? Are the errors not displayed in pastebin??? -.-

Reply #10
Well I've been told to use pastebin here before so that's what I used. not saved for posperity???? Are the errors not displayed in pastebin??? -.-
You should post any output or information on here rather than pastebin, so people faced with your same problem have information that can help them solve it. You would only use pastebin for IRC.

Reply #12
You should post any output or information on here rather than pastebin, so people faced with your same problem have information that can help them solve it. You would only use pastebin for IRC.

Well I'm doing it from a computer that I can barely get an internet browser to load on, so getting onto the forums is out of the question, I'm posting it onto pastebin... you can open the pastebin & look at it from there, it doesn't hinder anyone in finding help, all you have to do is click it, why is that too much to ask?

"so people faced with your same problem have information that can help them solve it."
How does this hinder anyone's ability to find help? By clicking on a link? If SSH worked I would be able to post it here but it won't work so I can't.

Reply #13
I found something similar on archwiki (arch wiki is very good source of information)

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Toshiba_Satellite_L775D_S7340#Touchpad_and_keyboard_are_not_working

PS: i asked for pure lsusb because it displays names and ID of device

OK so I'll get you "pure lsusb", not sure why USBs are important but alright I'll get that as soon as I get this thing to bootup, its hit & miss. I'd imagine the problem lies in lspci's output.

Reply #14
Ok, lsusb's pure output, without -t
https://pastebin.com/emhbPSJv

Gonna get the xorg output in just a moment. I STILL can't SSH into my laptop either, otherwise this would be easy... Artoo told me an update would solve this, but an update hasn't solved it, it still says "Privilege separation user nobody does not exist" -.- I was assured this would be fixed, but its not, making this way harder than it needs to be & forcing me to use pastebin, so if you wanna complain about pastebin then you can understand why I'm using it.

xorg output:
https://pastebin.com/VmQaCpRq