Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: FFmpeg issue does not resolve just by downgrading ffmpeg package (Read 1655 times) previous topic - next topic

FFmpeg issue does not resolve just by downgrading ffmpeg package

Saw the problems ffmpeg package made, however downgrading ffmpeg package alone does not solve the problem 100%. From what i have seen till this point mpv/firefox/minitube are impacted and downgrading mpv also did not solve anything as it complains about libplacebo when i tried to install mpv older version after removing newer mpv version. As for firefox some videos formats can't be played with the latest ffmpeg version including  gif. Now my question is we have to roll back everything or just wait for a new ffmpeg version that probable will include a fix?

Re: FFmpeg issue doe not resolve just by downgrading ffmpeg package

Reply #2
Will try to downgrade libplacebo also, ty

EDIT: yeah did not worked but instead of reversing everything back i will wait till new ffmpeg will have a new release. Perhaps will not take long as this problem started to be well known.

Reply #3
MPV should not have issue but will look and make sure it built against correct libplacebo when I can, though I am sure it was

Reply #4
It's very messed up so i choose to wait till they fix it upstream. I saw ffmpeg is required by 170 packages so as far as my knowledge goes it would be less of a pain to just wait to not bork things up even worse than this. MPV works fine the only visible thing for me is Firefox can't play some video formats but if i choose to fix firefox that would imply to remove mpv and as a result minitube also.

Reply #5
You can check /var/log/pacman.log to see what was upgraded, and reverse the update using what is in /var/cache/pacman/pkg or the Artix package archives if your cache has been emptied since. You might not need to downgrade everything that got updated, use a bit of judgement there, but it's a sure way to return to the earlier situation using the records in the logs. Personally I'm upgraded without any important problems but if you need to use something that isn't working right now then you might have to act!
(I doubt this would get any official approval as a suggestion, due to privacy concerns etc, but one of my browsers is precompiled with static libs, downloaded from the providers website, hence is not especially affected by anything much, the same would be true of any non-package installations of browsers including Firefox, although the Mozilla version won't have alsa support so needs pulseaudio or pipewire to get any sound. You could download and untar the relevant Linux build and run that from the command line without needing to properly install it - be careful re an existing "profile" dir to use the same version as your firefox package)

Reply #6
The reason why i think it will be fixed soon is the fact that ffmpeg latest version is marked as "staging" (standby) Also packages that were affected are also marked as "staging" so the Arch gurus up there must be aware of the magnitude of the problem. They rushed a bit too much with this update and now they have to fix it, fingers crossed. Tnx for the suggestions will check the logs.

Reply #7
my vscode also with problem.
Code: [Select]
/usr/lib/electron13/electron: error while loading shared libraries: libavcodec.so.58: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Reply #8
my vscode also with problem.
/usr/lib/electron13/electron: error while loading shared libraries: libavcodec.so.58: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
vscode is only in Arch "community" repository and AUR. Artix doesn't provide vscode package.

Anyway, like I said, this thread contains the workaround procedure until this is fully fixed.

It was an error caused by Arch developers doing nonstandard things, so most of the blame is on them.

Reply #9
vscode is only in Arch "community" repository and AUR. Artix doesn't provide vscode package.

Anyway, like I said, this thread contains the workaround procedure until this is fully fixed.

It was an error caused by Arch developers doing nonstandard things, so most of the blame is on them.
thanks!!

Reply #10
Well, we should have known better though, can't blame them for everything. There's a very good reason the epoch number of ffmpeg is already at 2.

Reply #11
Yep solved it manually like a surgeon  :D .  Downgraded the following packages  at older versions before 23 January when those nasty updates messed things up. First removed mpv then downgrade ffmpeg then x264 and then the rest (see the list bellow). Then install older version of mpv (mpv-1:0.34.1-1)
Used this arch mirrors
 x264
 ffmpeg
 gst-libav
 libplacebo
 mpv
 openal

After this, Firefox works as expected, mpv, minitube. You might wanna hold those previously mentioned packages from upgrading as they will bork again when upgrade. For this place those packages in pacman.conf file as ignore with spaces between them

Re: FFmpeg issue does not resolve just by downgrading ffmpeg package

Reply #12
I can't stop pacman from pulling ffmpeg 5 in  :'(

Reply #13
In /etc/pacman.conf insert
IgnorePkg = ffmpeg
That should work, as in preventing ffmpeg from being upgraded.
artist

Reply #14
x264
ffmpeg
 gst-libav
 libplacebo
 mpv
 openal

... packages in pacman.conf file as ignore ...
Thanks for the tip.
Did fresh artix-xfce-dinit-20220123-x86_64.iso intall and made those ones ignored.
Steam issue I faced before seems like no more.

btw openrc xfce live media fails to start X environment for me. Perhaps lightdm + DisplayPort + amdgpu issue took place. idk.
EDIT:  https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/LightDM#LightDM_does_not_appear_or_monitor_only_displays_TTY_output