Skip to main content
Topic: How Is Artix Running For you? (Read 8992 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: How Is Artix Running For you?

Reply #30
So far, so good.  I used Debian for about 10 years (Slink through Lenny).  I prefer using distribution packages if at all possible and got tired of waiting for updates for important (for me) packages so I switched to Arch around 2010.  Loved it until they switched to systemd.  Switched to Void last year on both home and work computers but I never could get Xiphos (Bible study software) to work on it.  I heard about Artix on the Void forum and switched my home computer to it.  All I have installed so far are the essentials: pekwm, midori, xiphos, scala, IDEA, LibreOffice, and hodoku and all is working well.

I'm hesitant to install it on my work computer just yet as it is an EFI machine and I had a horrible time getting Linux to work on it.  I'm hoping to get a new computer to replace it in the next few months and definitely plan to install Artix on it.

Many thanks to the developers.

Reply #31
Glad you are enjoying Artix it really is nice to use I personally have not had many problems just a few niggles. Once the transformation of the repros is complete and every thing is 100% systemd free Artix will be a force to be recond with

Reply #32
Yes indeed...welcome to Artix. :)
I second what @mandog  stated....Artix is developing progressively. It is a major undertaking to get untangled from systemd and I can't thank the devs here enough for making that come about.

Best regards.
We should try to be kind to everyone.....we are all fighting some sort of battle.

Reply #33
This is my third attempt at artix linux, i hope this one sticks.Ive learnt a lot more in the past 6 months and i realise artix has had some issues but so have i funnily enough. You guys and gals do good work, thankyou.

Reply #34
The arch way is a very big learning experience and Artix is a extention of the Arch way I mean the original Arch way with BSD init scripts so users like me find it much easier to use Artix I believe.  Systemd has dumbed down the boot processes into a none user experience. I will leave it their as I use both for different reasons.  

Reply #35
Running flawlessly for me.

Thanks for maintaining a systemd free alternative. I've been looking for a decent distro for a long time but I always come back to Arch because I like pacman so much. Now we have a systemd free distro with pacman. That's basically perfection.  :D

I've tried Devuan before. I just don't like to apt at all. Package management is a nightmare on Debian based distros.

Reply #37
big thank you to Artix team. Even though Artix was suffering from some "childhood illnesses" in the first months of existance, I have to say it has matured a lotand seems to be rock solid for some time now. Overall it's distro I am comfortable with, I run it with OpenRC on majority of my machines but I have now two installs with runit too. With both inits it works like a charm.
It also got to a pont where I would consider it as a system on a PC ran by my wife or parents, obviously people close to me that would ask me to administer it for them.
Linux user since 1997.
Red Hat -> Mandrake - > Arch - > Slackware -> Manjaro -> Artix / OpenBSD

Reply #38
Thanks for all the feedback so far.
Its nice to read the work pays off and we got the first happy users, and we also try to iron out things that may make users not so happy.
Heading for the 1st birthday in September, time runs so fast.  :o

Reply #39
Running it on 5 totally different machines:

Dell Precision 7510 - Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1545M v5 @ 2.90GHz, 64GB RAM, Nvidia Quadro M2000M (Main machine)
Sony Vaio (Don't ask me the model it was an obscure customization model) i7,, 16GB RAM, ATI/Intel graphics hybrid
Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro - i7, 8GB RAM (hard wired), Intel Graphics
Microsoft Surface Pro 2 - i7, 8GB RAM
MSI Phantom - i7, 32GB RAM, Nvidia/Intel hybrid graphics

And I wouldn't say I have any issues (I like to think of them as quirks due to such diverse systems) at all.  On other distros, I've had to fight stupid things like sound not working out of the box, or a flaky wireless card but with Artix, everything just works.  The only hardware I had to fight with was a Yubikey Neo but other than that man Artoo you have knocked it out of the park with Artix.  Yes we've had hiccups, which every fledgling distro does but we as a collective have worked through all of it in a very few hours.  I've been running Linux since Redhat 5.5 and Artix is my daily driver (I don't run Windows anywhere) and I use it in a production environment.  Zero complaints here. 
Host: Predator PH517-61 V1.07
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (16) @ 3.2GHz [112.4°F]
GPU: AMD ATI Radeon RX Vega 56/64
Memory: 1129MiB / 64390MiB

Reply #40
Until 2 days ago is was very usable

I'm running it on 2 servers and a workstation.  The servers are fit/pc insense II and the workstation is my HP z40 tower with a Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3 sata, 32ggs of ram,  8 core CPU

ithe last update killed the OS.  The upgrade on xorg and wayland couldn't be fixed... and I realy tried.  I reinstalled from scratch,  which wasn't easy.  The original setup was modified from Manjaro and has been working fairly flawlessly until 2 days ago.

Calamari didn't want to do the install at all correctly.  I have no idea how it finally worked by I ended up on ext4 instead of xfs...

Reply #41
I hope you are not on the habit  of deleting you cache, on the other extreme I have pkgs from 9/2017
Just ls -latr your cache (/var/cache/pacman/pkg) and see all the packages that came in the past 2-3 days, look for their previous versions, and # pacman -U ****.xz and you are back to where you were 2 days ago.  Easy!
Obviously pkgs such as mirrorlist will not brake your system, so scratch the easy to omit out and try it.

There may be other ways to do it, that is how I do it.  There must be some history of pacman transactions somewhere, in Debian I knew it out of my head, but on arch-based this is how I backtrack a problem.

example from my cache:

Code: [Select]
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   731K Jun 25 19:43 elogind-238.1-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   172K Jun 25 19:43 libelogind-238.1-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   2.1M Jun 25 20:44 youtube-dl-2018.06.25-1-any.pkg.tar.xz
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root    99K Jun 26 09:38 libedit-20180525_3.1-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   127K Jun 26 12:11 unrar-1:5.6.5-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root    49K Jun 26 18:27 python-keyring-13.1.0-1-any.pkg.tar.xz
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   598K Jun 26 21:53 archlinux-keyring-20180626-1-any.pkg.tar.xz
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root    57K Jun 26 21:55 libgusb-0.3.0-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   190K Jun 27 03:55 feh-2.26.4-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   2.2K Jun 27 14:45 artix-mirrorlist-20180627-1-any.pkg.tar.xz
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   597K Jun 27 20:53 archlinux-keyring-20180627-1-any.pkg.tar.xz
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   876K Jun 27 20:56 openjpeg2-2.3.0-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root    68K Jun 27 21:25 cifs-utils-6.8-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz

Reply #42
Since no one else has reported the kind of hosing you have, I'm suspecting the reason for your woes lies somewhere else, PEBCAK included. Therefore I suggest that you:

1. Make a backup of /etc
# cp -a /etc /etc.bak
2. Reinstall all packages
# pacman -Qnq | pacman -S -
# pacman -Qmq | yaourt -S --noconfirm -
The second line will install packages from the AUR.
3. Restore your /etc
# mv /etc /etc.new
# mv /etc.bak /etc
4. Profit.

Reply #43
PEBCAK included

??

No, this library problem has cropped up on other distro's and on arch.  Nobody is in a rush to fix it though as they are rushing to wayland and rerooted x on sytemd

I had to reinstall using the lxqt iso which is not working out of the box.  I had to scp pacman config files from my server.  It doesn't have a working copy of vi.

I don't know how X is running with new set up.  pstree is showing this

|-sddm
  |   |-Xorg -nolisten tcp -auth /var/run/sddm/{b3da063b-f569-4b4e-bf7b-757959cddb0e} -background none -noreset -displayfd 18-seat
  |   |   `-4*[{Xorg}]
  |   |-sddm-helper --socket /tmp/sddm-autheabb7c9b-688f-42c3-b673-cd13119a0f08 --id 7 --start /usr/bin/wmaker --user ruben
  |   |   `-wmaker
  |   |       `-wmaker --for-real

X is running but not doing anything as sddm is being kicked off of init1

Reply #44
the iso needs

vi and lsof

calamari didn't work predictably.   The file type and partitioning failed.