Skip to main content
Topic: How Is Artix Running For you? (Read 9125 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: How Is Artix Running For you?

Reply #45
I use Artix on my thin-client-based home server. I've got set up a web server for my homepage and the projects I work on for my clients, media server for music and movies, download client for... well... downloading, I'm still struggling to get a fully functional mail server; OpenSMTPD is already there and working, but I still need to figure out how to connect dovecot and then retrofit the whole thing with spamfilters digital signatures and all the bells, whistles and policies needed so that other mailservers would want to talk with mine without sacking me into their blacklists.

I also installed a desktop environment, and use the server as a normal PC, when I just want to do some light work/browse the net and I don't feel like turning on my monster rig just for that.

It's been almost a year and everything has been running smoothly. I've never had an issue of something critically breaking after an update. Sometimes some programs would go complaining that a library of requested version was not found - this is easily fixed by creating a proper symlink.

The biggest annoyance while setting Artix up was that many packages were provided without their OpenRC init.d and conf.d service files at that time. Had to hunt on Gentoo for those. However I see that this is getting fixed.

Reply #46
Nice to see another satisfied Artix user, As you pointed out things are now falling into place very nice.

Reply #47
I'm still struggling to get a fully functional mail server; OpenSMTPD is already there and working, but I still need to figure out how to connect dovecot and then retrofit the whole thing with spamfilters digital signatures and all the bells, whistles and policies needed so that other mailservers would want to talk with mine without sacking me into their blacklists.

FWIW, I suggest postfix

Reply #48
2 months ago I wrote about my experiences on installing Artix Linux.  Now that it's two months later I thought about informing you about how Artix Linux is running on my PC.

Over the last two months, the only issue I had when running Artix Linux was an issue with the desktop manager.  I switched from the default LXQT desktop to XFCE, but sometimes (not all the time) whenever I logged in to Artix Linux and load XFCE the screen would freeze before it displays the XFCE desktop, whereby in order to fix this issue I had to switch to another tty and reboot.  Whenever I rebooted then logged back in it would then work without any freezing.

I kept using XFCE and adding more and more packages and I think I needed, then after a while I decided to install KDE (Plasma 5) if only for the eye candy.  The freezing would still continue when "trying" to log in, and there was a time that if I couldn't fix this issue then I would go back to Manjaro, but just lately, whenever I log in to KDE or XFCE I have not had any freezes at the log in stage.  This I am very happy about because now I don't need to move back to Manjaro and systemd.

Anyway, I have not had any issues or problems with Artix Linux recently and I am very happy with it, but just in case something goes south with Artix Linux that I cannot fix then I do have a copy of Manjaro on a disk in reserve for that just in case moment.

Long may the stability continue.