Skip to main content
Topic: How Is Artix Running For you? (Read 9113 times) previous topic - next topic

How Is Artix Running For you?

Lets start by saying I use a very simple setup I use Msdos bios even for win10 simple does the job well proven. on a desktop AMD 6 core Nvidia GPU, It is said I could install a bucket of shit and it would work by a lot of users that know me, I say its because I research before buying and build my own rigs.

No encryption or any of that no firewall so I'm not paranoid about security.

I installed Artix at the beginning of Sept then installed my version of JWM up to date it has been mostly clean sailing for me, got fed up with the LTS lags with nvidia GPU so installed the Linux-CK Kernel.

I find file transfers using gvf-mtp and USB much more in line with windows speeds compared to systemd that is a real plus for me as its a major part of what I do. for the community as most people here do not have internet, so i do windows updates and android as a free service to help the community.

I really have not run into anything to fault Artix but saying that have used Arch close on 14 years as my daily driver So familiarity may play a good part for stability.

Please post your findings so far using Artix  

Re: How Is Artix Running For you?

Reply #1
Artix is running fine.

I migrated from Manjaro i think in september or later and update when i think its good to waste network and time. Everything works fine with few exceptions which are caused by discontinuity with repositories from Archlinux..

Initially i had problem setting up bumblebee with nvidia drivers so i given up on that for few months and few weeks ago i tried to install it again and everything worked fine...

I am using testing repositories without any problem.

Artix runs fine bigger problem for me is that i prefer old fashioned design like Windows 95 with classic menu and buttons, windows etc.... which is slowly replaced by modern mobile design which is wasting a lot of space or is looking too strange compared to the rest of the system.

What i find missing in Artix are some init scripts which were available in Mnajaro

That's all, Thank you for reading or delete this post if you think you the need to censor me.

Reply #2
Quote from: SGOrava

Artix runs fine bigger problem for me is that i prefer old fashioned design like Windows 95 with classic menu and buttons, windows etc.... which is slowly replaced by modern mobile design which is wasting a lot of space or is looking too strange compared to the rest of the system.

What i find missing in Artix are some init scripts which were available in Mnajaro

That's all, Thank you for reading or delete this post if you think you the need to censor me.

Luckily their are many older window managers that are win95 ish to choose from but you have to learn a bit but the Arch/Gentoo wikis are very helpful in that respect, Your problem is Manjaro it steers users not to think for themselves and rely on others instead of learning, To me learning what you are doing is what its all about, my problem is I forget as fast as I learn old age I hope.
Arch has https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Window_manager   worth checking out

Reply #3
Luckily their are many older window managers that are win95 ish to choose from but you have to learn a bit but the Arch/Gentoo wikis are very helpful in that respect, Your problem is Manjaro it steers users not to think for themselves and rely on others instead of learning, To me learning what you are doing is what its all about, my problem is I forget as fast as I learn old age I hope.
Arch has https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Window_manager   worth checking out

Window manager is useless when the program itself has manu hidden under one button somewhere and the whole design of that program has different philosophy.

Reply #4

I installed Artix at the beginning of Sept then installed my version of JWM up to date it has been mostly clean sailing for me, got fed up with the LTS lags with nvidia GPU so installed the Linux-CK Kernel.

What are LTS Lags?

I find file transfers using gvf-mtp and USB much more in line with windows speeds compared to systemd that is a real plus for me as its a major part of what I do. for the community as most people here do not have internet, so i do windows updates and android as a free service to help the community.

Why is this a function of the OS?

I really have not run into anything to fault Artix but saying that have used Arch close on 14 years as my daily driver So familiarity may play a good part for stability.

Please post your findings so far using Artix  

Reply #5
My adventures with Artix have but up and down, and far too many facets to mention within one thread.

On the server, I have had trouble bending it to me will, and get updatges to behave and the run directory to function correctly.

Updates have been an adventure and testing my GNU/Linux skill.

I've had trouble with an ethernet card, which might be a hardware issue.  I'm just not sure.
The biggest thing that anoys me is that I can't get it to start port forwarding on reboot.

Ruben

Reply #6
also, authentication out of the box and x11 were completely messed up and I needed to hack pam and lock down logind.

Reply #7
Window manager is useless when the program itself has manu hidden under one button somewhere and the whole design of that program has different philosophy.
I'm lost I use a variety of window managers one such being JMW bottom left corner of the panel menu button. I made it a dynamic menu, and many others like Awesome you can install a dynamic menu on the panel, I did, but you need to be willing to learn 1st.

Reply #8
It has been running fairly well for me. I have had some issues getting running and at one point time I completely screwed up my install  , I think the battery died in the middle of updating or something of that nature. Anyway I ended up reinstalling Artix and it has been working really well for me. Since I have reinstalled I have been on the testing with no issues at all.

Reply #9
I'm lost I use a variety of window managers one such being JMW bottom left corner of the panel menu button. I made it a dynamic menu, and many others like Awesome you can install a dynamic menu on the panel, I did, but you need to be willing to learn 1st.

Just looks on chrome or new firefox or GTK3 programs like nm-applet... a lot of options hidden under one button instead of normal menu

Reply #10
I run Artix on a Toshiba Satellite using the Linux-Zen kernel with KDE Plasma. So far, my experiences with Artix have been pretty positive, and I think the devs are doing a great job. The only real complaint I have is the occasional faulty upgrade which seems to happen less and less as time goes on.

Reply #11
I installed base artix on a laptop from about 2005 with an intel GMA 950 integrated graphics chip.
KDE Plasma does not run on this laptop, though. The wayland-session just fails back into SDDM, and KDE under Xorg simply won't go beyond a pretty loading screen.

Another laptop with more modern hardware runs Artix and KDE Plasma very well, under X and Wayland. NetworkManager isn't up for managing the wifi, I believe it has problems with the broadcom chip or something. Connecting manually still works.

Reply #12
In every system I have tried to install Artix from calamares it worked.  Some are 4-5 years old some are 8-10yold.

It more than satisfies my needs and is pretty stable and functional, even while [testing] everything.
So I can't say I would want anything changed.  I used the early LXQT installer a few times, but the nox installer works best for me.  I try to pass on the positive experience to others.  I really like obarun lately but the installer needs a higher understanding of linux than many users care to have.  The difference is that S6 to me seems as a much more advanced system than OpenRC or even Runit. 

The ability to sit on any box and have a running system in little time with all I need that Artix provides is unbeatable.

Reply #13
I've been using it for a few months now on 3 of my machines and it runs pretty nicely now. There were a few hiccups early on (which is to be expected), but now it's all smooth. One of the reasons why it was hard for me to leave Arch (despite my hatred for systemd) to something like Void or Gentoo is because I'm too lazy to abandon AUR and move my packages over to an ebuild or something. Artix was easily the best solution for me and it's much more convenient/complete than Arch OpenRC ever was.