Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: Snapshot (ISO) tool (Read 2763 times) previous topic - next topic

Snapshot (ISO) tool

Hi!

Can anyone suggest a tool to make an ISO of the installed system like MX Linux have it?
https://mxlinux.org/advanced-liveusb-antix

With this tool you can make an installable/live system of your already installed system either with your exisiting user or with a new one.

Re: Snapshot (ISO) tool

Reply #2
Did you read what the MX Linux tool can do? But let me answer your reply.

1. I asked for a similar tool and not for such a complicated tool you suggested.
2. why should I use refracta?
3. a wide variety of firmware? Really? This tool should build an ISO of my system for my system like the MX Linux tool can do it.
4. I never asked to forge the tool.

Reply #3
Why would I care what the MX tool does?
The reason to make a live system is to be able to boot in a variety of hardware.  To make a clone of a system to start with the same hw reliably with a CD or USB there are simpler ways.

What you did ask is to start a new thread about something that has been answered elsewhere.
Build a desktop iso using Artools https://forum.artixlinux.org/index.php/topic,293.0.html

Reply #4
Short answer, nope.
Long answer, nope, such tool does not exist on artix, won't exist in within artools.
Reason is, you ask for kind of backup tool, which puts an eventually borked system on iso, with all its eventual user caused errors accumulated.

Reply #5
Why would I care what the MX tool does?
If you would have read it you would understand what this tool do.

The reason to make a live system is to be able to boot in a variety of hardware.  To make a clone of a system to start with the same hw reliably with a CD or USB there are simpler ways.
Well, that was the question! A similar tool to clone the system. So tell me the simpler way.

What you did ask is to start a new thread about something that has been answered elsewhere.
Build a desktop iso using Artools https://forum.artixlinux.org/index.php/topic,293.0.html
No I don't want to create a new Desktop ISO!

Reason is, you ask for kind of backup tool, which puts an eventually borked system on iso, with all its eventual user caused errors accumulated.
I never said anything about artools!
And it would be my problem if the iso is broken.

Reply #7
If working on the same hw I use a USB stick, make a new partition, just sufficient to fit my artix system in it, rsync the mounted artix (from a 3rd system you can't do it while it is alive) to the new partition (rsync /mnt/artix/ /mnt/sdb1 you may want to add some tags in there to preserve dates and rights/ownership) change the fstab to the new partition UUIDs, chroot to it and update-grub and grub-install /dev/sdb and you have a bootable copy of your system on a stick.  It would work on a DVD by why use last century's media.  In a similar fashion you could transfer your /home /swap /var /tmp or anything else.
I have various old boxes from 2007-2010 with not identical but similar architectures and the stick works on all of them.

Reply #8
On UEFI hw you have to make accordingly a /boot partition and make adjustments to it too.