Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: [solved] etc-update doesnt work after migration from arch (Read 491 times) previous topic - next topic

[solved] etc-update doesnt work after migration from arch

i use etc-update to manage config file changes.   it worked fine on arch, but now i am getting an error when i run it.

ERROR: missing portageq

i know portage is gentoos package manager and etc-update is a gentoo program.   just cant figure out why it's complaining on Artix but didnt on Arch.

Re: etc-update doesnt work after migration from arch

Reply #1
I know this isn't a real answer, but is there any reason to use this over pacdiff? Looks like it does exactly the same thing from the description and pacdiff is actually a part of pacman-contrib. It would make more sense to use an arch tool over a gentoo one.

Reply #2
I know this isn't a real answer, but is there any reason to use this over pacdiff? Looks like it does exactly the same thing from the description and pacdiff is actually a part of pacman-contrib. It would make more sense to use an arch tool over a gentoo one.

not even sure how i settled on etc-update in the first place. i'll check out pacdiff. thanks

Reply #3
If you mean "etc-update" package from community it parses os-release file and tries to match few distros and Artix is NOT one of them.
The default option is to use "gentoo".

See:
https://github.com/gentoo/portage/blob/master/bin/etc-update#L35

I would say patches are welcome.

EDIT: I tried to send them an email with a patch, hope there will be some reply.

The patch may look somewhat like this (handmade diff):
Code: [Select]
OS_RELEASE_POSSIBLE_IDS=$(source /etc/os-release >/dev/null 2>&1; echo ":${ID}:${ID_LIKE//[[:space:]]/:}:")

case ${OS_RELEASE_POSSIBLE_IDS} in
*:suse:*|*:opensuse:*|*:opensuse-tumbleweed:*) OS_FAMILY='rpm';;
*:fedora:*|*:rhel:*) OS_FAMILY='rpm';;
- *:arch:*) OS_FAMILY='arch' NEW_EXT='pacnew';;
+ *:arch:*|*:artix:*) OS_FAMILY='arch' NEW_EXT='pacnew';;
*) OS_FAMILY='gentoo';;
esac

if [[ $OS_FAMILY == 'gentoo' ]]; then
get_basename() {
printf -- '%s\n' "${1:10}"
}
get_basename_find_opt() {

Reply #4
If you mean "etc-update" package from community it parses os-release file and tries to match few distros and Artix is NOT one of them.
The default option is to use "gentoo".

very nice! yes i was going down the same path.  i  added the "artix" and it works now.

thanks

will mark as solved