Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: [SOLVED] Slow after power loss (Read 601 times) previous topic - next topic

[SOLVED] Slow after power loss

I was playing a game on my laptop and suddenly the game dropped to a really low fps. A few seconds later my laptop ran out of battery.

After booting my laptop seems incredibly sluggish. Every time I reboot my cpu scaling_governor is alway set to powersave and setting it to performance only makes the computer slightly more responsive. What other steps can I take to ensure the computer is not in max power saving mode in other areas?

Code: [Select]
echo 'performance' | sudo tee /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/scaling_governor

Re: Slow after power loss

Reply #1
when I run

Code: [Select]
cat /proc/cpuinfo

I see some cores with cpu MHz set to 200.00. Is this normal? I'm pretty sure they used to go between 2800.00 MHz and 4000.00 MHz as needed.

Reply #3
You might get this with power supply issues, sometimes if a laptop thinks an unknown or underpowered psu is plugged in it could go into some kind of slow economy mode, I had something like that recently on a Dell booting very slowly, the BIOS showed only 200MHz for the CPU or something like that, it speeded up after the kernel had loaded and after messing about with various BIOS settings I tried another PSU which worked and spotted the cloverleaf power connector was not fully pushed in on the original, it can be a bit of a funny connection there on that particular one.

Reply #4
^^ This. Also, the needle in the plug transmits information of the PSU wattage to the computer through a small circuit inside the power supply. If that circuit is toasted, the laptop thinks the PSU is unknown or underpowered, it will work at minimum clocks and only draw the lowest possible energy to protect it.

Reply #5
I was going through the process of updating the bios and before I actually did it started working again as usual. I did go through the process of updating the bios from 0.3.02 to 0.3.07 though I can't tell a difference now that it's working fine again. Thanks for the suggestions, idk why it acted this way at all.