Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: [SOLVED] Support for Multiple Kernels? (Read 800 times) previous topic - next topic

[SOLVED] Support for Multiple Kernels?

Hi all.

I am relatively new to the Artix and Linux community (coming up on a little over a year of daily use in Linux, and 4 months in Artix).

When I installed Artix I simply installed the standard linux kernel, but was looking into how to install the linux-lts kernel to have a backup in case of unexpected kernel issues in the future.

I looked up the basics on how to do it on Arch and also cross referenced the forums here. After assessing what I thought was the necessary amount of research, I simply followed the basics of what you can find online which is simply:

sudo pacman -Sy linux-lts linux-lts-headers

sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

And reboot.

All looks well in the grub menu, but after selecting linux-lts, I am brought to a blank prompt with a simple empty cursor.

Is there any further configuration I need to do?

I read that in the past other Artix users had bemoaned the inability to use multiple kernels on their system, but all of these posts were at least a couple years old, and I was wondering if this is still an issue on Artix?

Thanks for taking the time to look at this post.

Re: Support for Multiple Kernels?

Reply #1
Hello,
by any chance are you using nvidia graphics card?

Reply #2
Hello,
by any chance are you using nvidia graphics card?

Oh boy, yes I am. I didn't think that would necessarily be related, but it makes sense... could you elaborate please?

Reply #3
What nvidia kernel modules do you have installed ?

Here I think Artix is not providing nvidia-lts package and you need to install "nvidia-dkms".

Reply #4
What nvidia kernel modules do you have installed ?

Here I think Artix is not providing nvidia-lts package and you need to install "nvidia-dkms".

This is all I have related to nvidia:

sudo pacman -Q | grep nvidia

lib32-nvidia-utils 510.54-1
nvidia 510.54-5
nvidia-utils 510.54-1

I couldn't find a nvidia-lts package in the aur, and nvidia-dkms doesn't appear to be a very popular package on there.

This issue with the blank prompt has happened to me before when I enabled the multilib repos in my pacman.conf and there was a nvidia-utils package that was ahead of my nvidia drivers package and caused the same prompt to show up...

Again, any insight into this would be helpful, even if I can't have multiple kernels available for my desktop/laptop, I would still like to understand what's going on here.

And thank you for your insights so far!

Reply #5
I couldn't find a nvidia-lts package in the aur, and nvidia-dkms doesn't appear to be a very popular package on there.
Delete the 'nvidia' package and install the 'nvidia-dkms' one. The former one is only for the 'linux' kernel, and if you use any other (lts included), you must use the latter package in Artix. Don't forget to install linux-lts-headers.

Reply #6
Delete the 'nvidia' package and install the 'nvidia-dkms' one. The former one is only for the 'linux' kernel, and if you use any other (lts included), you must use the latter package in Artix. Don't forget to install linux-lts-headers.

Perfect. Thank you both so much for helping me out. Installed nvidia-dkms, then linux-lts and linux-lts-headers, updated grub, and that did it! I very much appreciate the help!