Skip to main content
Topic: [yaourtix] Adapt yaourt to honour Artix' repositories? (Read 13515 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: [yaourtix] Adapt yaourt to honour Artix' repositories?

Reply #30
@dreieck (At long last) I pushed yaourtix-git into [galaxy-gremlins]. One thing I've noticed using '-G', it prefers the AUR over the Artix repos (e.g. yaourtix -G openrc downloads the AUR package); can you set it to lookup at gitea first? Also, there are a few 'Arch' strings here and there which better become 'Artix'. Cheers!

I will have a look at it in some time -- right now my weeks are over-busy.

Also I want to implement that it uses commands from artools to correctly resolv the artix repositories.

Btw., I also consider 'yaourtix' as a works-for-me-but-not-very-good workaround; the only reason why I use it everyday is the easy hookup with customizepkg, which I have not found in any other pacman+AUR-wrapper, which I do need.

Thanks for the note!

Reply #31
I'm using trizen as my pacman wrapper & AUR helper, and it needs no additional modifications. It just looks at all the repositories you have enabled, and prioritises by order... just like pacman. I think you should consider switching. There are lots of better wrappers out there. There is an Arch wiki page on them too. Check it out.

Reply #33
I'm using trizen as my pacman wrapper & AUR helper, and it needs no additional modifications. It just looks at all the repositories you have enabled, and prioritises by order... just like pacman. I think you should consider switching. There are lots of better wrappers out there. There is an Arch wiki page on them too. Check it out.

The thing is customizepkg-integration and automatic handling. I do not know any pacman+AUR-wrapper except no-longer-maintained yaourt that has it.

It seems that not many people use hooks to change officual Arch/ Artix-packages upon installation.

Reply #34
yay cannot rebuild binary packages, even from Arch repos, but it might be able to work with customizepkg:
https://github.com/Jguer/yay/issues/5
 https://github.com/Jguer/yay/issues/336

pakku can rebuild Arch binary packages and also supports customizepkg:
https://github.com/kitsunyan/pakku/issues/5

yay seems a good pacman wrapper / aur helper in other respects and it works with Artix binary repos. I haven't tried pakku.

Reply #35
yaourt[ix] broke with new pacman, which sucks because i'm so used to it
trying yay now, and aurutils, both of which are ok'ish but dont seem 1-to-1 replacements for yaourt.  ah well, i guess we all have to move on now

Reply #36
Updates:

Reply #37
yay cannot rebuild binary packages, even from Arch repos, but it might be able to work with customizepkg:
https://github.com/Jguer/yay/issues/5
https://github.com/Jguer/yay/issues/336

pakku can rebuild Arch binary packages and also supports customizepkg:
https://github.com/kitsunyan/pakku/issues/5

yay seems a good pacman wrapper / aur helper in other respects and it works with Artix binary repos. I haven't tried pakku.

Yes, there are good reasons to move away from yaourt(ix).

So, yay and pikaur need to be updated to handle download of Artix' PKGBUILDs.

Can anyone do that, like I did for yaourt?

Until it has happened, I will update yaourtix from time to time, but not fix it's fundamental flaws, just updating the abs-logic-sh as necessary.

Reply #38
pakku can be configured to do this:
>Commit that added support for Parabola repos<
I found some issues with pakku though, it respects ignored regular packages but not AUR ones, although you can work around this by ignoring them on the command line. But then I was ignoring gcc7 and gcc7-libs, eventually my gcc7-libs was too outdated to build the new gcc7 and pakku got confused and refused to do anything at all while yay still worked OK. Looking in the source code some stuff seems redundant and non functional. The pakku-git AUR package points to a fork now as the original author seems busy on other projects, and hasn't committed anywhere on GitHub since September.
It generally works fine though.
The configuration raises questions though, where should the Artix PKGBUILD's come from? It would be quite longwinded to specify every A-Z repo but I don't know how else to do it (not knowing much Nim  ??? )
Then in those repos there are 2 PKGBUILD dirs, is one preferred over the other?
repos/staging-x86_64/
trunk/
And then there is the question of precedence, of Artix repos being favored over Arch ones, hopefully pakku will handle this.
And what if someone wants to use it to build packages from Gremlins or Goblins.... where should they come from too?
Nim is a multi platform Python like language that compiles to various languages like  C, C++, Java etc as an intermediate step before making a fast binary so is one of these future languages that is pretty good really I think.

seq - an array thing in NIM
Options
This module implements types which encapsulate an optional value.
A value of type Option[T] either contains a value x (represented as some(x)) or is empty (none(T)).
This can be useful when you have a value that can be present or not.

So some () = the value given
none (type) = like giving a NULL parameter in C

pakku seems to get OS details from here: /usr/lib/os-release
Because no binpkg repos are defined for Artix that's why it doesn't build any even though some of the Arch repos are.

Reply #39
@dreieck (At long last) I pushed yaourtix-git into [galaxy-gremlins]. One thing I've noticed using '-G', it prefers the AUR over the Artix repos (e.g. yaourtix -G openrc downloads the AUR package); can you set it to lookup at gitea first?

Well, logic to lookup the correct repository is somewhere else within yaourt, I did not search for that and touch that.

Maybe next time I do more big work on it; as for now, it would anyway be better if someone patches an up-to-date pacman+AUR-wrapper which supports customizepkg to also support the Artix repos.

Reply #40
Just my opinion, I wouldn't put any AUR wrapper in our repos.

But if any AUR wrapper, I agree, please someone patch a current wrapper, so obsolete yaourt can be dropped.

Reply #41
I've created a docker image that can do this a bit, atleast if the deps are in the repo.. It will download the deps, build and put into the pkgbuild's dir https://forum.artixlinux.org/index.php/topic,1275.0.html no need of a AUR helper. Just git clone the aur and run docker on it. In the post, I've shown an example on how to do it.

Reply #43
@dreieck, does yaourtix development keeps going, or not?

Currently I did not find the capacity, but it is still on my project list ...

It has been removed from AUR and https://github.com/archlinuxfr/yaourt is archived.

Yes, yaourtix was removed from the AUR because someone submitted a deletion request because of deprecation; the first time it was halted by some other saying "Every AUR helper sucks, but we don't habitually delete them just because.". A bit later, deletion request again and it was accepted.

Reply #44
Currently I did not find the capacity, but it is still on my project list ...

Yes, yaourtix was removed from the AUR because someone submitted a deletion request because of deprecation; the first time it was halted by some other saying "Every AUR helper sucks, but we don't habitually delete them just because.". A bit later, deletion request again and it was accepted.

I've been there....

Awaiting further info with a new git link.