Skip to main content
Topic: [SOLVED] Laptop suspension doesn't work on XFCE edition (Read 918 times) previous topic - next topic

[SOLVED] Laptop suspension doesn't work on XFCE edition

Solved! Please check reply #1 for the solution.

Hello! I installed the Artix OpenRC XFCE edition, and I noticed that after updating (what I do after every time I install any OS) my laptop wouldn't wake from suspension.

I had set my laptop to suspend when I close the lid, which worked, but when I would open the lid again this would happen:

1. 3 Seconds of a black screen with underscore text at the top left
2. LightDM appears (I type my password and hit enter)
3. 5 seconds of a black screen with the underscore text indicator at the top left
4. LightDM appears again and I type my password and hit enter again
5. Infinite black screen (display not turned off, just very dark bluish (I have an LCD display))

On the infinite black screen I can't really do anything. Ctrl + Alt + F1 does work, but other than that I have to shut down and boot up with my power button to see XFCE.

I can confirm this only happens after I updated which also updated XFCE and (I think) the kernel. I tested it before updating and my laptop would wake from suspension just fine.

Re: Laptop suspension doesn't work on XFCE edition

Reply #1
Have you rebooted after updating?

You can boot from LiveISO and disable lightdm service from chroot, which will allow you to login on your system through getty if lightdm is stuck in a crash loop.

Logs are the basic method of debugging services and programs on Unix-like systems. They are the text files under /var/log. The most relevant logs here would be Xorg.0.log and lightdm.log. It would be most helpful if you copied the relevant logs to some paste service and posted their URLs back here.

Update: Also remove light-locker if you are using it and replace it with another screen locking program.

Update 2: For XFCE, world/xfce4-screensaver is enough (configuration is accessed through Applications -> Settings -> Settings Manager -> Personal -> Screensaver -> Lock Screen); just uninstall light-locker.

Update 3: Testing shows that installing world/gnome-keyring is also necessary specifically for XFCE, due to /etc/pam.d/xfce4-screensaver dependency.

Reply #2

Update 2: For XFCE, world/xfce4-screensaver is enough (configuration is accessed through Applications -> Settings -> Settings Manager -> Personal -> Screensaver -> Lock Screen); just uninstall light-locker.

Update 3: Testing shows that installing world/gnome-keyring is also necessary specifically for XFCE, due to /etc/pam.d/xfce4-screensaver dependency.

Seriously???!!!  What does gnome stupid keyring have to do with xfce4?  Sorry for interjecting but thats enough to make me quit using xfce ever again.  Is this a dependency imposed by xfce or by artix?  I hate tbat stupid gnome keyring.  sudo pacman -Rdd gnome-keyring is the first thing to do after any arch based install.  Sorry for off topic post but i despise gnome-keyring and alk keyrings poping up on my screen.
Cat Herders of Linux

Reply #3
If you want to discuss the presence of gnome stuff in XFCE which definitely isn't new, open another topic.

Reply #4
Just to answer the question, this dependency is added by XFCE developers. Artix PKGBUILD is available at:

https://gitea.artixlinux.org/packagesX/xfce4-screensaver/src/branch/master/trunk/PKGBUILD

as one can see, it downloads the
Code: [Select]
https://archive.xfce.org/src/apps/${pkgname}/${pkgver%.*}/${pkgname}-${pkgver}.tar.bz2
which currently includes the file xfce4-screensaver-4.16.0/data/xfce4-screensaver.system-auth, which gets copied to /etc/pam.d/xfce4-screensaver and contains:
Code: [Select]
auth include system-auth
auth optional pam_gnome_keyring.so
Since there are normally no other authentication modules applicable to GUI environment available under XFCE, and gnome-keyring wasn't normally installed, there was a hang on wakeup with xfce4-screensaver. light-locker has its own unresolved issues, which I listed in the linked post.