Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: [SOLVED] Firefox and Chromium keep crashing (Read 3577 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Firefox and Chromium keep crashing

Reply #15
the point of the build test is to stress your hardware and see if it fails or not.  To see if maybe you have a hardware faiulure.
Okay so, I tried to compile the ungoogled-chromium from AUR and I got this error after 30 minutes:
Code: [Select]
clang++: error: clang frontend command failed with exit code 139 (use -v to see invocation)
clang version 13.0.1
Target: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
Thread model: posix
InstalledDir: /usr/bin
clang++: note: diagnostic msg:

PLEASE ATTACH THE FOLLOWING FILES TO THE BUG REPORT:
Preprocessed source(s) and associated run script(s) are located at:
clang++: note: diagnostic msg: ../../tools/clang/crashreports/ProgramPipeline-7828a0.cpp
clang++: note: diagnostic msg: ../../tools/clang/crashreports/ProgramPipeline-7828a0.sh
clang++: note: diagnostic msg:

[17016/49300] CXX obj/third_party/angle/libANGLE_base/ProgramLinkedResources.o
Then soon after the compilation failed I opened a new page on Firefox and it crashed with this report while I was searching information about the error:
AdapterDeviceID: 0x1402
AdapterDriverVendor: nvidia/unknown
AdapterDriverVersion: 515.43.4.0
AdapterVendorID: 0x10de
Add-ons: uBlock0%40raymondhill.net:1.42.4,smart-referer%40meh.paranoid.pk:0.2.15,skipredirect%40sblask:2.3.6,7esoorv3%40alefvanoon.anonaddy.me:1.7.0,%7B9e3f5f09-a4c6-43c2-8715-cac81530a5ce%7D:0.3.7,%7Baecec67f-0d10-4fa7-b7c7-609a2db280cf%7D:2.13.0,%7Bdedb3663-6f13-4c6c-bf0f-5bd111cb2c79%7D:5.12.0,webcompat%40mozilla.org:100.2.1buildid20220504.194401,doh-rollout%40mozilla.org:2.0.0,formautofill%40mozilla.org:1.0.1,pictureinpicture%40mozilla.org:1.0.0,screenshots%40mozilla.org:39.0.1,default-theme%40mozilla.org:1.3,addons-search-detection%40mozilla.com:2.0.0,google%40search.mozilla.org:1.2,amazondotcom%40search.mozilla.org:1.3,wikipedia%40search.mozilla.org:1.1,bing%40search.mozilla.org:1.3,ddg%40search.mozilla.org:1.1
AvailablePageFile: 0
AvailablePhysicalMemory: 904617984
AvailableSwapMemory: 0
AvailableVirtualMemory: 10993938432
BackgroundTaskMode: 0
BuildID: 20220520220138
ContentSandboxCapabilities: 119
ContentSandboxCapable: 1
ContentSandboxLevel: 4
CrashTime: 1653480806
DOMFissionEnabled: 1
DOMIPCEnabled: 1
DesktopEnvironment: openbox
EventLoopNestingLevel: 1
ExperimentalFeatures: devtools.inspector.compatibility.enabled
HeadlessMode: 0
InstallTime: 1653213658
IsWayland: 0
LinuxUnderMemoryPressure: 0
MozCrashReason: Bad datastore lookup
Notes: Artix LinuxFP(D00-L1100-W00100000-T000) Has dual GPUs. GPU #2: AdapterVendorID2: 0x8086, AdapterDeviceID2: 0x0412WR? WR+
ProductID: {ec8030f7-c20a-464f-9b0e-13a3a9e97384}
ProductName: Firefox
ReleaseChannel: release
SafeMode: 0
SecondsSinceLastCrash: 43643
StartupCrash: 0
StartupTime: 1653437493
TelemetryEnvironment: {"build":{"applicationId":"{ec8030f7-c20a-464f-9b0e-13a3a9e97384}","applicationName":"Firefox","architecture":"x86-64","buildId":"20220520220138","version":"100.0.2","vendor":"Mozilla","displayVersion":"100.0.2","platformVersion":"100.0.2","xpcomAbi":"x86_64-gcc3","updaterAvailable":false},"partner":{"distributionId":null,"distributionVersion":null,"partnerId":null,"distributor":null,"distributorChannel":null,"partnerNames":[]},"system":{"memoryMB":15893,"virtualMaxMB":null,"cpu":{"extensions":["hasMMX","hasSSE","hasSSE2","hasSSE3","hasSSSE3","hasSSE4_1","hasSSE4_2","hasAVX","hasAVX2","hasAES"]},"os":{"name":"Linux","version":"5.17.8-artix1-1","locale":"en-US"},"hdd":{"profile":{"model":null,"revision":null,"type":null},"binary":{"model":null,"revision":null,"type":null},"system":{"model":null,"revision":null,"type":null}},"gfx":{"D2DEnabled":null,"DWriteEnabled":null,"ContentBackend":"Skia","Headless":false,"EmbeddedInFirefoxReality":null,"adapters":[{"description":"NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950/PCIe/SSE2","vendorID":"0x10de","deviceID":"0x1402","subsysID":null,"RAM":0,"driver":null,"driverVendor":"nvidia/unknown","driverVersion":"515.43.4.0","driverDate":null,"GPUActive":true},{"description":null,"vendorID":"0x8086","deviceID":"0x0412","subsysID":null,"RAM":null,"driver":null,"driverVendor":null,"driverVersion":null,"driverDate":null,"GPUActive":false}],"monitors":[{"screenWidth":1920,"screenHeight":1080}],"features":{"compositor":"webrender_software","hwCompositing":{"status":"disabled:FEATURE_FAILURE_COMP_PREF"},"gpuProcess":{"status":"unused"},"wrQualified":{"status":"available"},"webrender":{"status":"unavailable-no-hw-compositing"},"wrCompositor":{"status":"blocklisted:FEATURE_FAILURE_WEBRENDER_COMPOSITOR_DISABLED"},"wrSoftware":{"status":"available"},"openglCompositing":{"status":"unavailable:FEATURE_FAILURE_OPENGL_NEED_HWCOMP"},"omtp":{"status":"unused"}}},"appleModelId":null,"hasWinPackageId":null},"settings":{"blocklistEnabled":true,"e10sEnabled":true,"e10sMultiProcesses":8,"fissionEnabled":true,"telemetryEnabled":false,"locale":"en-US","intl":{"requestedLocales":["en-US"],"availableLocales":["en-US"],"appLocales":["en-US"],"systemLocales":["en-US"],"regionalPrefsLocales":["en-US"],"acceptLanguages":["en-US","en"]},"update":{"channel":"release","enabled":true,"autoDownload":false,"background":false},"userPrefs":{"accessibility.force_disabled":1,"app.shield.optoutstudies.enabled":false,"browser.cache.disk.enable":false,"browser.formfill.enable":false,"browser.newtabpage.enabled":false,"browser.shell.checkDefaultBrowser":false,"browser.search.suggest.enabled":false,"browser.search.widget.inNavBar":false,"browser.startup.homepage":"<user-set>","browser.startup.page":0,"browser.urlbar.quicksuggest.dataCollection.enabled":false,"browser.urlbar.suggest.quicksuggest.nonsponsored":false,"browser.urlbar.suggest.quicksuggest.sponsored":false,"browser.urlbar.suggest.bestmatch":true,"browser.urlbar.suggest.searches":false,"devtools.chrome.enabled":false,"devtools.debugger.remote-enabled":false,"extensions.autoDisableScopes":15,"extensions.enabledScopes":5,"extensions.blocklist.enabled":true,"extensions.formautofill.addresses.enabled":false,"extensions.formautofill.creditCards.enabled":false,"extensions.formautofill.creditCards.available":false,"layers.acceleration.disabled":true,"network.http.windows-sso.enabled":false,"network.trr.strict_native_fallback":false,"pdfjs.disabled":false,"privacy.firstparty.isolate":false,"privacy.resistFingerprinting":true,"privacy.trackingprotection.enabled":true,"security.mixed_content.block_display_content":true,"security.tls.version.enable-deprecated":false,"signon.autofillForms":false,"signon.rememberSignons":false,"widget.content.allow-gtk-dark-theme":false,"widget.content.gtk-high-contrast.enabled":true},"sandbox":{"effectiveContentProcessLevel":4,"contentWin32kLockdownState":3},"addonCompatibilityCheckEnabled":true,"isDefaultBrowser":true,"defaultSearchEngine":"other-my-instance","defaultSearchEngineData":{"loadPath":"[http]localhost/my-instance.xml","name":"my-instance","origin":"verified"}},"profile":{"creationDate":19123,"firstUseDate":19123},"addons":{"activeAddons":{"[email protected]":{"version":"1.42.4","scope":1,"type":"extension","updateDay":19123,"isSystem":false,"isWebExtension":true,"multiprocessCompatible":true,"blocklisted":false,"description":"Finally, an efficient blocker. Easy on CPU and memory.","name":"uBlock Origin","userDisabled":false,"appDisabled":false,"foreignInstall":false,"hasBinaryComponents":false,"installDay":19123,"signedState":2},"[email protected]":{"version":"0.2.15","scope":1,"type":"extension","updateDay":19123,"isSystem":false,"isWebExtension":true,"multiprocessCompatible":true,"blocklisted":false,"description":"Enable smart referers everywhere (send referer only on same domain)","name":"Smart Referer","userDisabled":false,"appDisabled":false,"foreignInstall":false,"hasBinaryComponents":false,"installDay":19123,"signedState":2},"skipredirect@sblask":{"version":"2.3.6","scope":1,"type":"extension","updateDay":19123,"isSystem":false,"isWebExtension":true,"multiprocessCompatible":true,"blocklisted":false,"description":"Skip intermediary pages that some pages use before redirecting to a final page.","name":"Skip Redirect","userDisabled":false,"appDisabled":false,"foreignInstall":false,"hasBinaryComponents":false,"installDay":19123,"signedState":2},"[email protected]":{"version":"1.7.0","scope":1,"type":"extension","updateDay":19123,"isSystem":false,"isWebExtension":true,"multiprocessCompatible":true,"blocklisted":false,"description":"A web extension that redirects popular sites to alternative privacy-friendly frontends and backends","name":"LibRedirect","userDisabled":false,"appDisabled":false,"foreignInstall":false,"hasBinaryComponents":false,"installDay":19123,"signedState":2},"{9e3f5f09-a4c6-43c2-8715-cac81530a5ce}":{"version":"0.3.7","scope":1,"type":"extension","updateDay":19127,"isSystem":false,"isWebExtension":true,"multiprocessCompatible":true,"blocklisted":false,"description":"Replace built-in download manager with Aria2.","name":"Aria2 Integration Extension","userDisabled":false,"appDisabled":false,"foreignInstall":false,"hasBinaryComponents":false,"installDay":19127,"signedState":2},"{aecec67f-0d10-4fa7-b7c7-609a2db280cf}":{"version":"2.13.0","scope":1,"type":"extension","updateDay":19127,"isSystem":false,"isWebExtension":true,"multiprocessCompatible":true,"blocklisted":false,"description":"An open source userscript manager that supports a lot of browsers","name":"Violentmonkey","userDisabled":false,"appDisabled":false,"foreignInstall":false,"hasBinaryComponents":false,"installDay":19127,"signedState":2},"{dedb3663-6f13-4c6c-bf0f-5bd111cb2c79}":{"version":"5.12.0","scope":1,"type":"extension","updateDay":19132,"isSystem":false,"isWebExtension":true,"multiprocessCompatible":true,"blocklisted":false,"description":"Official Firefox port of the Zhongwen Chrome extension. Chinese-English dictionary and learning tool","name":"Zhongwen: The Popular Chinese Learning Tool","userDisabled":false,"appDisabled":false,"foreignInstall":false,"hasBinaryComponents":false,"installDay":19132,"signedState":2},"[email protected]":{"version":"2.0.0","scope":1,"type":"extension","updateDay":19132,"isSystem":true,"isWebExtension":true,"multiprocessCompatible":true,"blocklisted":false,"description":"This used to be a Mozilla add-on that supported the roll-out of DoH, but now only exists as a stub t","name":"DoH Roll-Out","userDisabled":false,"appDisabled":false,"foreignInstall":false,"hasBinaryComponents":false,"installDay":19115},"[email protected]":{"version":"1.0.1","scope":1,"type":"extension","updateDay":19132,"isSystem":true,"isWebExtension":true,"multiprocessCompatible":true,"blocklisted":false,"description":null,"name":"Form Autofill","userDisabled":false,"appDisabled":false,"foreignInstall":false,"hasBinaryComponents":false,"installDay":19115},"[email protected]":{"version":"1.0.0","scope":1,"type":"extension","updateDay":19132,"isSystem":true,"isWebExtension":true,"multiprocessCompatible":true,"blocklisted":false,"description":"Fixes for web compatibility with Picture-in-Picture","name":"Picture-In-Picture","userDisabled":false,"appDisabled":false,"foreignInstall":false,"hasBinaryComponents":false,"installDay":19115},"[email protected]":{"version":"39.0.1","scope":1,"type":"extension","updateDay":19132,"isSystem":true,"isWebExtension":true,"multiprocessCompatible":true,"blocklisted":false,"description":"Take clips and screenshots from the Web and save them temporarily or permanently.","name":"Firefox Screenshots","userDisabled":false,"appDisabled":false,"foreignInstall":false,"hasBinaryComponents":false,"installDay":19115},"[email protected]":{"version":"100.2.1buildid20220504.194401","scope":1,"type":"extension","updateDay":19134,"isSystem":true,"isWebExtension":true,"multiprocessCompatible":true,"blocklisted":false,"description":"Urgent post-release fixes for web compatibility.","name":"Web Compatibility Interventions","userDisabled":false,"appDisabled":false,"foreignInstall":false,"hasBinaryComponents":false,"installDay":19134,"signedState":3}},"theme":{"id":"[email protected]","blocklisted":false,"description":"Follow the operating system setting for buttons, menus, and windows.","name":"System theme — auto","userDisabled":false,"appDisabled":false,"version":"1.3","scope":4,"foreignInstall":false,"hasBinaryComponents":false,"installDay":19123,"updateDay":19123},"activeGMPlugins":{"gmp-gmpopenh264":{"version":"1.8.1.1","userDisabled":false,"applyBackgroundUpdates":1}}}}
Throttleable: 1
TotalPageFile: 16665202688
TotalPhysicalMemory: 16665202688
URL: https://groups.google.com/g/omnetpp/c/_zonGWenUqg
UptimeTS: 13280.60652513
Vendor: Mozilla
Version: 100.0.2
useragent_locale: en-US

This report also contains technical information about the state of the application when it crashed.
And this was the output from the terminal:
ExceptionHandler::GenerateDump cloned child 612
ExceptionHandler::WaitForContinueSignal waiting for continue signal...
ExceptionHandler::SendContinueSignalToChild sent continue signal to child
HW acceleration was off, so that shouldn't be the problem (Chromium crashed too before with HW acceleration off).

EDIT: I tried to build again and now this error came out:
../../third_party/eigen3/src/Eigen/src/Core/CoreEvaluators.h:646:17: error: no template named 'evalUator'; did you mean 'evaluator'?
    Arg1Flags = evalUator<Arg1>::Flags,
                ^~~~~~~~~
                evaluator
../../third_party/eigen3/src/Eigen/src/Core/CoreEvaluators.h:92:8: note: 'evaluator' declared here
struct evaluator : public unary_evaluator<T>
       ^
1 error generated.
[9661/49300] SOLINK swiftshader/libGLESv2.so
ninja: build stopped: subcommand failed.
==> ERROR: A failure occurred in build().
    Aborting...
error: failed to build 'ungoogled-chromium-101.0.4951.64-1':
error: packages failed to build: ungoogled-chromium-101.0.4951.64-1

Reply #16
looks like firefox doesnt like your nvidia driver...
Cat Herders of Linux

Reply #17
try and install firefox-esr see how it behaves?

skip the building for now.  you dont have all the tools installed i think and like they said it's likely a software issue with your system.
Cat Herders of Linux

Reply #18
try and install firefox-esr see how it behaves?

skip the building for now.  you dont have all the tools installed i think and like they said it's likely a software issue with your system.
I'll try with ESR, but I doubt the problem is Firefox itself. Chromium is crashing too... (even if I don't use Firefox at all)
I might try to boot without NVIDIA proprietary drivers and see if something changes.

Reply #19
chromium is probably one of the most difficult packages to build in most respects. To stress your system you can use the "stress" package, there are other similar things about. But remember running your system at 100% for long periods may damage it even if it was OK before, depending on how good the cooling is, some hw can stand this, some can't. Thermal paste efficiency, amount of dust blockage and ambient temperature can cause the result to vary.
You could also try the lts kernel as another easy option.
Browsers can crash due to lack of memory (RAM) or hard drive space, because they need to write cache files, so although unlikely here you could check those aspects I suppose, possibly RAM is already known to be OK? Browsers also have various built in crash error debug logging features to get more info you could research if you wanted, it can take a while to figure those out though.

Reply #20
chromium is probably one of the most difficult packages to build in most respects. To stress your system you can use the "stress" package, there are other similar things about. But remember running your system at 100% for long periods may damage it even if it was OK before, depending on how good the cooling is, some hw can stand this, some can't. Thermal paste efficiency, amount of dust blockage and ambient temperature can cause the result to vary.
You could also try the lts kernel as another easy option.
Browsers can crash due to lack of memory (RAM) or hard drive space, because they need to write cache files, so although unlikely here you could check those aspects I suppose, possibly RAM is already known to be OK? Browsers also have various built in crash error debug logging features to get more info you could research if you wanted, it can take a while to figure those out though.

They are gamin on this machine so memory and hdd are presumed ok since games arent crashing.  Many online games aren't multicore?  So that's why the core build test.  But graphics card seems not agreeable to the browsers even though the games run?
Cat Herders of Linux

Reply #21
Did you already try to disable hardware acceleration?
artist

Reply #22
Incidentally renguangxi said earlier in the thread "By the way, I rarely play games. "
The "stress" app can do multicore cpu stress up to 100% on all cores and also memory and disc stress. If you want to build something as a test then pick something you're familiar with building! Chromium from git anyway can be a download of over 10GB before you even start, the build system is a bizarre one off thing and has huge system requirements, it's more likely to stress the person building it.

Reply #23
Did you already try to disable hardware acceleration?
artist
Yes I did, and nothing changed. I'm now trying with nouveau drivers instead of NVIDIA ones to see if the problem is related to graphics drivers.
I thought of some HD related problem too. On one of my latest post I was talking about a Firefox crash happened during an encode with Handbrake. When I tried to move the encoded file from my main hard drive to a external hard drive it wouldn't let me do it with a I/O error. I had to re-encode again the file because apparently something was corrupted. However running a short test with SMART didn't give anything suspicious.
Is there a way I can check the RAM health?

Reply #25
Okay, the crashes keep happening even without NVIDIA drivers. So it certainly isn't a graphics problem.
Now I've just got a "Segmentation fault" error also when launching Anki. I then launched Chromium to see if it would start, and it started. I closed it and then Anki started without giving that error. I went back to Firefox and I noticed a tab crashed. I really don't get what is going on...
After that I tried to launch multiple times Anki: sometimes it would start, sometimes it would throw the segmentation fault error. It's so random that I can't reproduce the exact process.

almost every linux distro iso includes a memory checker on the live bootup menu

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/fsck for file system check on linux

Now that you talk about filesystem I'm thinking if it could be related to the fact that I use btrfs. I'll try a check just to make sure everything is okay, but I'm pretty sure this is not the culprit.

Reply #26
buttery farts file system has done me worse than if i were a red-headed step child with buck teeth and freckles.  I hate buttery farts file system.  it literally destroyed a hard drive of irreplaceable data that i was intended for a grand purpose.  I will never use it ever again as long as anyone lives.

But hey, you do you.
Cat Herders of Linux

Reply #27
not to beat a dead horse but i have a 500gb 2.5 inch toshiba hard drive from a toshiba a-6 laptop (fermi i think it was) that i bought some 13 years ago and i use ext4 on it and it's still going strong.
Cat Herders of Linux

Reply #28
I like BTRFS and use it whenever possible.
# btrfs scrub start /
# btrfs scrub status /
scrub is used on a mounted system and if there are any problems it will tell you including the paths of any affected files, fsck on ext4 just gives you inode numbers last I saw, which was a few years ago now!
Thinking about a segmentation fault though, you usually get that from say writing too much data into a fixed size variable, it's a memory related problem from accessing an incorrect memory address. If it isn't hw then possibly it could be some hw specific memory management bug, so using the lts version or even some older pre - March version you used successfully before to check as occasionally things get backported to lts might be worth trying.
Sometimes the BIOS menus have memory check features, they might take an hour or two to run.