Skip to main content
Topic: Can't start virtual network in virt-manager after switching to NetworkManager (Read 2915 times) previous topic - next topic

Can't start virtual network in virt-manager after switching to NetworkManager

I recently switched from ConnMan to NetworkManager, but I tried to create a VM and tried to start the virtual network used by virt-manager, but I get this error:

Code: [Select]
Error starting network 'default': Unable to create bridge virbr0: Package not installed

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/asyncjob.py", line 72, in cb_wrapper
    callback(asyncjob, *args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/asyncjob.py", line 108, in tmpcb
    callback(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/object/libvirtobject.py", line 57, in newfn
    ret = fn(self, *args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/object/network.py", line 69, in start
    self._backend.create()
  File "/usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/libvirt.py", line 3474, in create
    raise libvirtError('virNetworkCreate() failed')
libvirt.libvirtError: Unable to create bridge virbr0: Package not installed

After reading the network section on the libvirt article in the Arch Wiki, I installed dmidecode and replaced iptables with iptables-nft and nftables, but nothing changed. What do I need to do to fix this? And what package is it talking about?

Re: Can't start virtual network in virt-manager after switching to NetworkManager

Reply #1
Hello, I would check the optional dependencies of libvirt package and see what is installed and what is not, there might be some network related stuff.
pacman -Qi libvirt

Re: Can't start virtual network in virt-manager after switching to NetworkManager

Reply #2
Hello, I would check the optional dependencies of libvirt package and see what is installed and what is not, there might be some network related stuff.
pacman -Qi libvirt

So it's fixed, but all I did was I think I restarted my computer. Thanks though!

Reply #3
So it's fixed, but all I did was I think I restarted my computer. Thanks though!
Perhaps all you were need to restart was NetworkManager service.