Skip to main content
Topic: Getting AUR software to show up in Discover [SOLVED] (Read 5080 times) previous topic - next topic

Getting AUR software to show up in Discover [SOLVED]

I have installed Discover: if YAY is installed, will the AUR software appear in Discover? If not, what do I need to do, install YAY?

If that is correct, I tried

Code: [Select]
sudo pacman -S yay

but that does not do it. What is the right way?

Re: Getting AUR software to show up in Discover

Reply #1
hello again - its generally discouraged to use any graphical s/w manager and much safer to use the cli for such things when it comes to arch and this which is fundamentally forked arch, so not sure about the first question, but the second goes a little bit like this at a cli:
sudo pacman -S git
sudo git clone https://aur.archlinux.org/yay.git
cd yay
makepkg -si

in a nutshell, yay is in aur and not the official repo's, so you have to clone it (and install git first to do it), then build it.   When you cd to yay, its worth noting the permissions on the folder will (probably) result in an error when makepkg is run,  so use nemo, your file manager in cinnamon, and open nemo as root which will allow you to change permissions on the recently created folder called "yay", take ownership of it with your login name, then run the last command in the cli you already have open (or if a different session for the cli, you'll have to navigate back to the yay folder in order to build the package).   Everyday is as learning day!

Reply #2
@gavincc I did the all the steps bar the last one. Here is my status:

- the properties for the yay folder, tab permissions, shows files can be created and deleted in the access areas

but when I am in tthe terminal, after having done cd yay, and I try to do makepkg -si it says I am not allowed to do that.

BTW, I am surprised you say AUR access is not recommended from a graphical interface: both RebornOS and Manjaro offer that possibility, it is shown as Add/Remove software.

Reply #4
who';s the owner then of the folder....still says root?   open nemo as root....sudo nemo...right click the folder - properties - permissions - change the owner.

Reply #6
Yay is available from the universe repo, if you have enabled that.

https://wiki.artixlinux.org/Main/Repositories
Now you tell me  :)

Oops, I remember now you said not to use a graphical UI for AUR downloads. Why not?
Tell me, please, how do I enable universe, and how do I the download a piece of software from AUR.

Reply #7
seriously, change the darn owner of the folder, that simple...i said take ownership in the first set of instructions, so take ownership - no point posting "I'm not allowed to do that" if you didn't do what was needed in the first place.

Reply #8
Now you tell me  :)

Oops, I remember now you said not to use a graphical UI for AUR downloads. Why not?
Tell me, please, how do I enable universe, and how do I the download a piece of software from AUR.

If you read the link I gave you it explains how to enable the  different repositories. :)

Reply #9
@gavincc I did the all the steps bar the last one. Here is my status:

- the properties for the yay folder, tab permissions, shows files can be created and deleted in the access areas

but when I am in tthe terminal, after having done cd yay, and I try to do makepkg -si it says I am not allowed to do that.

BTW, I am surprised you say AUR access is not recommended from a graphical interface: both RebornOS and Manjaro offer that possibility, it is shown as Add/Remove software.

The aur has many packages relying on systemd. Also you must trust the software in the air.  There potentially could be unsafe software in the aur as it is not monitored for phishing and spyware.  Generally safe yes but there is nothing that stops one from behaving badly.
Cat Herders of Linux

Reply #11
If you read the link I gave you it explains how to enable the  different repositories. :)

OK, that's good.  For that one needs to add info to “/etc/pacman.conf”. I have been looking all this time how to open the /etc folder in Artix because it is not listed. Can you tell me how to open as root, please?

I feel a bit embarrassed to ask you this, so I spologize.

Reply #12
Editing files requiring privilege escalation
Warning
Never use sudo to run a graphical text editor. This can have unintended consequences or break the permission to configuration files that should not be owned by root.
Many of the graphical text editors will automatically ask for privilege escalation when they detect that you cannot write to a file.

If they don't, you can save a copy of the file to your home folder and move it into place using sudo. For example, if you edit your fstab and then saved a copy to your home folder, you could then move it to the proper location with sudo:

sudo mv ~/fstab /etc/fstab

Viewing configuration files from the terminal/tty
There are two primary ways to view files from the command line.

You can use the command cat to dump the contents of a file to the screen by typing cat <filename>. For example to view the contents of your fstab you could use:

cat /etc/fstab

you could also use
sudo nano /etc/pacman.conf

Cat Herders of Linux