Skip to main content
Topic: Synaptic Package Manager (Read 1184 times) previous topic - next topic

Synaptic Package Manager

Hi
I have tried to use Artix several times, but the stumbling block I always find is how to install new apps.
In reality I only need a few, like chromium, thonny and gnumeric.  I have installed Discover and even after several hours it is still "loading" the items.
Please help, so I can stay with Artix.
How can I install synaptic package manager from the terminal please.
Many thanks, best wishes, Kevin

Re: Synaptic Package Manager

Reply #1
sudo pacman -S ungoogled-chromium thonny gnumeric
Cat Herders of Linux

Reply #2
Synaptic package manager is a GUI wrapper for apt, it's for Debian-based distributions. If you wanna use a GUI wrapper for package manager in Artix, try pamac.

Reply #3
or octopi if a gui is really needed - doesn't seem to screw things up as much as pamac seems to do on a vaguely regular occurrence depending on which aur packages are installed.  Or just learn the switches for pacman/yay.

Reply #4
kevin-81a4:[kevin]:~$ sudo pacman -S ungoogled-chromium thonny gnumeric
[sudo] password for kevin:
error: target not found: ungoogled-chromium
error: target not found: thonny
error: target not found: gnumeric

Hi, tried the terminal commands, had no luck, have shown the output above.
Thanks for help so far.
Best wishes, Kevin

Reply #5
octopi and discover are ok but they are not gtk apps.  a gtk app should be used for gtk desktop.  That's my idea anyway.  It's not a hard and fast rule.  i love qbittorrent.  on the other hand nothing is better than gparted.  I use pamac.  it's not perfect. but it doesn't have qt bias like discover has.  I mat not build with it but i like the gui for searching for apps and esp for searching for them in the aur.  When it's time to build or install i prefer the terminal.  Pamac can show you the installed files created and you can easily edit the build files.  It's all right there.  Folks here don;t like it they say it messes up builds.  ok build from terminal.  no problem.  it's not a religion.  i use what works and makes sense to me.
Cat Herders of Linux

Reply #6
kevin-81a4:[kevin]:~$ sudo pacman -S ungoogled-chromium thonny gnumeric
[sudo] password for kevin:
error: target not found: ungoogled-chromium
error: target not found: thonny
error: target not found: gnumeric

Hi, tried the terminal commands, had no luck, have shown the output above.
Thanks for help so far.
Best wishes, Kevin
you need to enable some sources from artix that arent available by default.

https://wiki.artixlinux.org/Main/Repositories#:~:text=As%20of%20June%202021%2C%20all,not%20yet%20in%20Artix%20repositories.

DO NOT ENABLE GREMLINS!
Cat Herders of Linux

Reply #7
Install octopi and you will be happy. But don't forget to install the assistant 'yay' and in 'Parameters->AUR' select 'yay',
i3-3210 / 10GB / VGA Intel HD 2500 / SSD 240GB /  / Kernel 6.6.32 / KDE 5.116 / Plasma 5.27.11 / Ungoogled-Chromium

Reply #8
I have installed Discover and even after several hours it is still "loading" the items.
Hi,
i found out that for discover to work properlly, you have to install the package packagekit-qt5.
or you get this exact "loading" and endless screen.
So, install it (pacman -S packagekit-qt5)
then try to launch discover again, it should work :)