Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: [SOLVED] Cannot unlock luks encrypted partition at startup after latest update (Read 777 times) previous topic - next topic

[SOLVED] Cannot unlock luks encrypted partition at startup after latest update

I have all my partitions encrypted using luks. All the partitions (except the root partition) are configured to be unlocked automatically at boot time via crypttab with a key file stored in `/etc/...`. The root partition however requires me to type a password. After an update I ran today, I can no longer unlock the root partition. When I type the password, it says:

Code: [Select]
No key available with this passphrase.

I went ahead and used a Manjaro live USB stick to try and unlock the partition from there, and it worked with no problems. I even chrooted into the artix system and regenerated the ramdisk environment and reinstalled grub using these commands:

# mkinitcpio -p linux
# grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot --bootloader-id=GRUB
# grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

But I still have the same issue.

I was suspicious that the keyboard layout changed, but I used grub's edit mode (hitting e in the grub menu) to check, and the keyboard layout perfectly fine.

I am out of ideas, can someone please help with this?

EDIT:

My swap partition is also encrypted, and I am using the `resume=/dev/mapper/swap` in `GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT` and my `/etc/openswap.conf` looks like this:

swap_device=/dev/disk/by-uuid/<swap-partition-uuid>
crypt_swap_name=swap

keyfile_device=/dev/mapper/root
keyfile_filename=etc/<key-file-name>

miscellaneous="--type luks"

Re: Cannot unlock luks encrypted partition at startup after latest update

Reply #2
Was cryptsetup among the updated packages? Next suspect is the kernel or perhaps a missing crypt module in initramfs.

Thanks nous.

I just found out why it isn't unlocking. It's because for some unknown reason, the right shift key isn't working anymore. As I said before, the key still works physically. I checked both in grub edit mode and Manjaro live. That's something else I need to figure out, and it's outside the scope of this topic.

Thanks again for answering nous.