Skip to main content
Topic: can't load virtualbox-host-modules / -guest-modules after upgrading kernels (Read 2047 times) previous topic - next topic

can't load virtualbox-host-modules / -guest-modules after upgrading kernels

Hello.

After today's kernel upgrades (linux-lts-4.14.19-1, linux-4.15.3-2, and also linux-ck-4.14.18), I can't load any of the virtualbox-host-modules on my host machines. I noticed that kernels were upgraded, but no the virtualbox modules.

/var/log/rc-log shows:
Code: [Select]
modules-load      | * Loading module vboxdrv ...
modules-load      | * Failed to load vboxdrv
modules-load      | * Loading module vboxpci ...
modules-load      | * Failed to load vboxpci
(... same thing for the other modules ...)
modules           | * Loading kernel modules ...
modules           |insmod /lib/modules/4.15.3-2-ARTIX/extramodules/vboxdrv.ko.xz
modules           |modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'vboxdrv': Exec format error
modules           |insmod /lib/modules/4.15.3-2-ARTIX/extramodules/vboxdrv.ko.xz
modules           |modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'vboxpci': Exec format error
(... same thing for the other modules ...)

/var/log/kernel.log shows:
Code: [Select]
Feb 17 12:27:20 my_pc kernel: vboxdrv: disagrees about version of symbol module_layout

I tried reinstalling the virtualbox-host-modules for the different kernels, but it didn't help. I finally downgraded to the previous kernel, to be able to use virtualbox again.

After experimenting on a virtual machine, I noticed that it couldn't load the virtualbox-guest modules either, after upgrading to the latest kernels.

Re: can't load virtualbox-host-modules / -guest-modules after upgrading kernels

Reply #1
it looks like these moduls were not rebuilded / updated after the kernel was...
I saw that package "virtualbox-host-modules-artix" was updated today.
The easy way to get rid of these issues is to use dkms packages for kernel modules.
You can try installing "virtualbox-host-dkms" or "virtualbox-guest-dkms" (based on what you use) and report back.

Reply #2
I just updated again, and now the modules are working for the 4.15.3-2 kernel, which is good enough.

I'll keep in mind the dkms modules, in case this happens again.

Thanks. ^_^

Reply #3
Thats good.

I recommend you to use dkms packages (or how shoul i call them?) for critical drivers/modules like ethernet and wifi cards.
I am not able to describe how much joy i felt when the ethernet was not working after the update.

Reply #4
it looks like these moduls were not rebuilded / updated after the kernel was...
I saw that package "virtualbox-host-modules-artix" was updated today.
The easy way to get rid of these issues is to use dkms packages for kernel modules.
You can try installing "virtualbox-host-dkms" or "virtualbox-guest-dkms" (based on what you use) and report back.

you run 100's of modules in the kernel, normally.  Just do a lsmod

I don't know why they chose not to update these stock modules with the rest of the kernel, but it is what it is.

Reply #5
I know that...
But my network cards (etherneet (wired) realtek (module r8168) and broadcom bcm4313 (wireless))  requires driver / module which is not included.
Also bbswitch (enable / disable nvidia optimus card) is not included

Network is critical in these days... no internet no go...
Idea of losing internet after update is horrific.

I can be considered as POWER user.... i use any means necessary to make it work.

Reply #6
I know that...
But my network cards (etherneet (wired) realtek (module r8168) and broadcom bcm4313 (wireless))  requires driver / module which is not included.
Also bbswitch (enable / disable nvidia optimus card) is not included

Network is critical in these days... no internet no go...
Idea of losing internet after update is horrific.

I can be considered as POWER user.... i use any means necessary to make it work.

I have that problem with my e1000e ethernet driver.  In this case, they don't upgrade the module with the kernel.

Whatever needs to be done this way, just has to be, but it virtualbox really shouldn't need a perpetual upgrade through source code.  It is the backbone of most server environments these days.

Reply #7
it is kernel module as any other .... it is not included in kernel (yet, quest additions will be soon... https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2018/01/virtualbox-guest-additions-linux-kernel )
and when kernel is changed this module should also be rebuilded against new kernel.... i am sure you know these things....