Skip to main content
Topic: System hangs when rebooting, shutting down or logging out (with a beep sound) (Read 399 times) previous topic - next topic

System hangs when rebooting, shutting down or logging out (with a beep sound)

Recently I've started to experience a strange problem where whenever I log out, reboot or shut down my computer the system hangs for about 15 seconds with a blank screen until a beep sound comes from the motherboard. Then the computer logs out, reboots or shuts down fine. I also can't access tty1 or tty2 as the screen stays blank.
I'm pretty sure the problem is related to nvidia drivers as removing them and using nouveau fixes the problem. What is strange thought is that I tried to downgrade drivers from 515.65 to 515.57 or even 515.48 but the problem persists. I also tried with the linux-lts kernel with no luck.

Re: System hangs when rebooting, shutting down or logging out (with a beep sound)

Reply #1
It may be worth trying the linux-zen kernel as well? I have found in the past that using that kernel on some machines solved slightly weird problems like you are having. At all events, it is little trouble to experiment with it.

Re: System hangs when rebooting, shutting down or logging out (with a beep sound)

Reply #2
Yes, I also tried linux-zen and the problem persists  :'(