Skip to main content
Topic: Xorg and drivers in [world-testing] currently broken. (Read 2859 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Xorg and drivers in [world-testing] currently broken.

Reply #1
I wonder if that is why I downloaded weird packages signed by Cromnix's Automated Build system a week or so back.

error: vulkan-radeon: signature from "Cromnix (Buildbot) <[email protected]>" is invalid
:: File /var/cache/pacman/pkg/vulkan-radeon-17.2.0-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz is corrupted (invalid or corrupted package (PGP signature)).
Do you want to delete it? [Y/n]
error: failed to commit transaction (invalid or corrupted package (PGP signature))

Why is https://sourceforge.net/projects/cromnix/ not merged with Artix by the way? I would think Chris Cromer, the dev behind a lot of the arch-openrc packages would have jumped on board with us. Do we not want to support the lfs init or something? That was the only main difference that I could see as both Artix and Cromnix support s6, runit, and openrc.

Are we not good enough!? :p

Reply #2
Chris is one of the Artix core devs. The signature of the builtbot confirms it.

Reply #3
Good to have confirmed. Is Cromnix a side project of Chris's then?

Reply #5
Thanks @nous

Reply #6
As I was away for 3-4 days I missed this and upgraded, including the linux-zen kernel which does not bring X up.
But linux-lts does start X fine.  What I get trying to get to sddm is a black screen.

Since lts works I'll stick to it till further advise. My intel core2duo and i915 gfx worked fine with 412 and have had problems with 413 since the first edition rc back in Manjaro-OpenRC. So there has to be something with the 4.13 kernel.

If xorg was broken how come it works with lts?

Reply #7
Holding back linux-zen, mesa, and libs on other installations did not break Xorg.
Linux lts runs well with all upgrades, while with zen.4.13 it is broken.
Any suggestions for diagnosing the problem more specifically and helping with bug fixing?

Reply #8
We can't do anything except rebuilding without '-z,now' LDFLAGS. But since the offending packages are in testing, it's not top priority, we have more pressing issues to deal with.

Reply #9
I wonder if that is why I downloaded weird packages signed by Cromnix's Automated Build system a week or so back.

error: vulkan-radeon: signature from "Cromnix (Buildbot) <[email protected]>" is invalid
:: File /var/cache/pacman/pkg/vulkan-radeon-17.2.0-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz is corrupted (invalid or corrupted package (PGP signature)).
Do you want to delete it? [Y/n]
error: failed to commit transaction (invalid or corrupted package (PGP signature))

Why is https://sourceforge.net/projects/cromnix/ not merged with Artix by the way? I would think Chris Cromer, the dev behind a lot of the arch-openrc packages would have jumped on board with us. Do we not want to support the lfs init or something? That was the only main difference that I could see as both Artix and Cromnix support s6, runit, and openrc.

Are we not good enough!? :p
Yes I am on board and have been from the beginning of Artix. Artix will not support the LFS init system, just openrc, runit, and s6 for the time being. LFS is the linux from scratch init system based on sysvinit and init scripts. Cromnix is based on Linux From Scratch(LFS), not Arch Linux, that is why it supports LFS init.
Good to have confirmed. Is Cromnix a side project of Chris's then?
Yes it is a sister project, it shares inits, dev tools, and such. But it is not a fork of Arch Linux, it is being built from the ground up without systemd but still using the pacman package manager.
Chris Cromer

Reply #10
I dumped zen for 4.12-ck which I know little about and I will have to explore.
Everything seems ok for now.

Reply #11
Correction, I misread the whole thread.  I never pulled anything out of world-testing, only system-testing.  My broken X is simply by upgrading linux-zen from 4.12 to 4.13 and I don't know whether mesa is part of the problem as well.

Reply #12
If you're fine with linux-ck and -lts but not with linux-zen, then most likely mesa hasn't anything to do with it.

Reply #13
If you're fine with linux-ck and -lts but not with linux-zen, then most likely mesa hasn't anything to do with it.

Well, after linux-zen worked magically in all three of my installations, today's -ck updated to 4.13-9 too and it is working as well.
The only speculation I have at this point was the last update in the linux-firmware pkg.  The only thing I have not yet tested is to reinstall from aur the linux-mainline 4.14 which failed last week to see if IT is working now as well.

Reply #14
After Upgrading The lts kernel and headers yesterday from system testing nvidia-dkms is not properly run and fails to build the proper hooks and a reboot fails to start lightdm. To fix I reinstall nvidia-dkms which does build the hooks correctly.