Skip to main content
Topic: ArtixBang (Read 7934 times) previous topic - next topic

ArtixBang

Working quietly on on an Artix based iso. Am no longer tied to ArchBang ideal so its much lighter,leaner and faster. Having problems with sourceforge (not my first choice for hosting these things), might be a while before you see any real iso.

Features:

No gtk2!
Small Browser
Tiny WM
Reduced number of gui toolkits!

ToDo:

Test installer
Grub!
EFI?
Mr Green ArchBang Iso Developer

Re: ArtixBang

Reply #1
Hi there @mrgreen nice to see word from you again. :)

Good to read what you are up to as well.

cheers ;)

Reply #2
Mr Green rides again :)

Reply #3
Good to know *Bang is still a phoenix rising from its ashes and that @mrgreen is out playing momma-bird again.

Thank you and may your compiles be prodigious.

Reply #4
Taking me some time to get the 'look' right, gui toolkits are a pain.  If I go gtk2 only it would mean dropping networkmanager. Gtk3 is twice the size of gtk2!

Have wiped out man pages in the past to save space.... why do we need perl?

Hopefully Artix will go Alpine route Musl, busybox... 32bit  8)

Back to the building!

Reply #5
Quick question, menu button on panel or right click menu?

Reply #6
Pro's & cons. Though I always like to run with the RMB menu in my Openbox setups.

Reply #8
Quick question, menu button on panel or right click menu?

Question should be:
Who is my target ?
  • Beginner - Visible button with keyboard shortcut
  • Old monster (Experienced user) - Well written config with decent settings and  with instructions is good enough
    Most of these users have old configs and unique habits.

Reply #9
Taking me some time to get the 'look' right, gui toolkits are a pain.  If I go gtk2 only it would mean dropping networkmanager. Gtk3 is twice the size of gtk2!

Have wiped out man pages in the past to save space.... why do we need perl?

Back to the building!

I feel that many use nmtui or wicd anyway for lightweight distros anyway... Personally I like nm-tray-git because it plays well with modern systrays (On E22 here).

I too would like 32bit when we have more devs. Or a hybrid kernel option (You can use the iso on both 32 and 64 bit) like I've seen on Puppylinux, Parabola, and the like.

Could you throw in wireguard and wireguard tools?

EDIT: Right click menu or dmenu/equivalent.
EDIT2: Link was missing. Happy building! :D

Reply #10
Question should be:
Who is my target ?
  • Beginner - Visible button with keyboard shortcut
  • Old monster (Experienced user) - Well written config with decent settings and  with instructions is good enough
    Most of these users have old configs and unique habits.

What he ^ said. ;)

Reply #12

ArtixBang:

JWM window manager.

Applications shipped - Netsurf, PcmanFM, Lxterminal, L3afpad.

Very beta at the moment, stripped out man,doc and gtk-doc from /usr/share. This may give me room to add extra apps as required.

Would love to add conky again but for now keyboard shortcuts can be found in Guide.

Know that Netsurf is not the best browser in the world but given a working network connection it is not too difficult to add what you need.

Reply #13

Although unofficially, 32bit should be achievable through archlinux32 and the patched-for-artix yaourt. As a matter of fact, I used archlinux32's ISO and repos to install on a P4 box, then converted to Arch OpenRC with the old but still accessible [arch-openrc] and [arch-nosystemd] repos to get the system running and finally I compiled a few key packages from Artix for 32bit. Unlike Arch, we don't remove the i686 architecture flag, so yaourtix shouldn't have trouble performing the final step in full auto.

Reply #14

ArtixBang:

JWM window manager.

Applications shipped - Netsurf, PcmanFM, Lxterminal, L3afpad.

Very beta at the moment, stripped out man,doc and gtk-doc from /usr/share. This may give me room to add extra apps as required.

Would love to add conky again but for now keyboard shortcuts can be found in Guide.

Know that Netsurf is not the best browser in the world but given a working network connection it is not too difficult to add what you need.

JWM good choice my favourite WM