Skip to main content
Topic: ArtixBang (Read 7817 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: ArtixBang

Reply #15

Not gonna happen, we won't support i686, even if we had spare devs.

Although unofficially, 32bit should be achievable through archlinux32 and the patched-for-artix yaourt. As a matter of fact, I used archlinux32's ISO and repos to install on a P4 box, then converted to Arch OpenRC with the old but still accessible [arch-openrc] and [arch-nosystemd] repos to get the system running and finally I compiled a few key packages from Artix for 32bit. Unlike Arch, we don't remove the i686 architecture flag, so yaourtix shouldn't have trouble performing the final step in full auto.

I figured even if Artix did have any 32bit flavours or spin-offs, they would be unofficial.

As long as Artix does not denounce 32bit completely. Those senior computers might not deserve love, but surely tolerance? :P

@nous @artoo If we do get more devs, are ARM(little, big endian), POWER(8,9), and RISC-V still on the table for support?

@mrgreen  Love it! I was not aware of PcmanFM. I have been using Thunar since Nautilus went off the deep end around the emergence of GTK 3. Appreciate that and this update!

Reply #17
Just a heads up that ArchBang.org will return in the very near future. Managed to get some hosting for very little money and just waiting on domain transfer.

Github is already set up with source files should anyone wish to build there own version

https://github.com/mrgreenlinux/artixbang

[Need to add License etc...]
Mr Green ArchBang Iso Developer

Reply #18
I tried to install your artixbang iso today mr green and recieved a kernel panic. This has happened twice in the last 2 weeks since downloading and trying to install your iso.

Reply #19
Is this live or installed? I know Grub sometimes has issues in getting system booting. Have a number of times gone back in via chroot and run grub again.

Reply #20
Is this live or installed? I know Grub sometimes has issues in getting system booting. Have a number of times gone back in via chroot and run grub again.

No installed, ive session is fine, Ill try again today and see if running grub again works. Not sure why it would be a grub problem as the autoinstall of grub worked and said it checked out fine in the abinstaller.

Reply #21
The commands for grub are correct and it does tell you it worked, but have had a number of reports from other users that they got kernel panic.  Mount root device (and /boot if on a separate partition). I ship with arch-install-scripts so arch-chroot might work. I do know that artix has its own tools too.

Duck typing

Code: [Select]
# mount /dev/(sdxn) /mnt 
# arch-chroot /mnt /bin/bash
# # once in!
# grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

Reply #22
The commands for grub are correct and it does tell you it worked, but have had a number of reports from other users that they got kernel panic.  Mount root device (and /boot if on a separate partition). I ship with arch-install-scripts so arch-chroot might work. I do know that artix has its own tools too.

Duck typing

Code: [Select]
# mount /dev/(sdxn) /mnt 
# arch-chroot /mnt /bin/bash
# # once in!
# grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

Sorry i cant be of much help but 3rd time i tried and still no joy. Perhaps the install script has errors?

Reply #23
Sorry i cant be of much help but 3rd time i tried and still no joy. Perhaps the install script has errors?
The command is for bios or mbr only if you have uefi you need a different method and commands.

Reply #24
The command is for bios or mbr only if you have uefi you need a different method and commands.

My machine is from back in 2011 and bios mbr. Ive chrooted that iso install and followed commands Mr Green has posted. Still kernel panic. Ive moved on anyhow ive used the artix base iso to build an openbox setup. I was just curious how Mr Greens jwm setup would fare on my laptop. Its all good.

Ok i should add that i found artools has a different method to chroot, maybe they conflict Mr Green?

When i setup my openbox install from base, i used artools-chroot as arch-chroot was not there. So if arch/artix bang is working off of an artools artix base then the script has to be in error.

Reply #25
I don't know what the difference is with arch-chroot but artools-chroot works on:
arch
obarun
void
refracta
antix
figos
debian
devuan
even manjaro

adequately to do most repair work

I'd worry about the grub syntax if you get kernel panic
if you have grub installed do an update-grub then copy paste the syntax on the first block between the first menuitem line to the end of the twin brackets
        ]
]

then paste it in the system that is handling grub in its /boot/grub/custom.cfg file (or make one)

Reply #26
^ also pacstrap under artix is basestrap

I also had to modify the artix base mirror list to point to the updated repo instead of the sourceforge mirrors and also the arch-mirrorlist had entries that did not work from sourceforge.

link to iso = https://sourceforge.net/projects/artix-linux/files/iso/

Reply #27
Have just uploaded a new iso, hopefully it will fix recent openrc issue (in News). Switched to Openbox window manager and added in Tint2. Need to work on a few more little changes before I have a full release. Maybe Conky will return too ;)

Reply #28
so i d/l a iso from sourceforge but i got errors on install that said /mnt was not a mount point.  also had an error with grub that i see there is a work around for that looks promising.  any thing i should know about the mount error?  i tried to load squash into ram, enabled the swap partition, updated the system completely and tried to run the install again...  still a few wonkinesses as noted above.

Reply #29
so i just now am trying again and it says on grub install that it found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-linux

somehow i think that is not the correct linux image

this is going to give me an error on reboot.  what can i do right now to fix this?