Reply #32
sudo  mount /dev/sda2 /mnt    this is my boot drive

sudo arch-chroot /mnt /bin/bash

then the error above.

i dont type and cut and paste isnt working well for me

Re: ArtixBang

Reply #33
grub mkconfig -o /boot/grub.cfg

/usr/bin/grub-mkconfig: line 245 /boot/grub/grub.cfg.new no such file or directory

Reply #34
very much want an artixor openrc bang but this isnt happening and i just spent another hour of my time lost on this.

Reply #35
Code: [Select]
/usr/bin/grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

is the correct one, not /boot/grub.cfg

You are saying the /boot partition is what you are trying to chroot to?
I believe you need to chroot to the main mounting partition not boot.
i.e  /dev/sda2   /boot
      /dev/sda3   /

# mount /dev/sda3 /mnt
# arch-chroot /mnt

Reply #36
as i understandf it i thought i needed to mount the boot  partition and the root partition

Reply #37
mount /dev/sda4 /mnt
arch-chroot /mnt
/usr/bim/grub-mkconfig -0 /boot/grub/grub.cfg

/usr/bin/grub-mkconfig: line 245: /boot/grub/grub.cfg.new : No such file or directory

Reply #38
can someone please confirm that the abinstall syntax is correct in the booloader section ?:

#CONFIGURE BOOTLOADER {{{
configure_bootloader(){
  case $bootloader in
    Grub2)
      print_title "GRUB2 - ${WIKI}/GRUB2"
      print_info "GRUB2 is the next generation of the GRand Unified Bootloader (GRUB).\nIn brief, the bootloader is the first software program that runs when a computer starts. It is responsible for loading and transferring control to the Linux kernel."
      grub_install_mode=("Automatic" "Manual")
      PS3="$prompt1"
      echo -e "Grub Install:\n"
      select OPT in "${grub_install_mode
  • }"; do
        case "$REPLY" in
          1)
            if [[ $LUKS -eq 1 ]]; then
              sed -i -e 's/GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="\(.\+\)"/GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="\1 cryptdevice=\/dev\/'"${LUKS_DISK}"':crypt"/g' -e 's/GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""/GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="cryptdevice=\/dev\/'"${LUKS_DISK}"':crypt"/g' ${MNT}/etc/default/grub
            fi
            if [[ $UEFI -eq 1 ]]; then
              arch_chroot "grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=${EFI_MNT} --bootloader-id=arch_grub --recheck"
            else
              arch_chroot "grub-install --target=i386-pc --recheck --debug ${BOOT_MNT}"
            fi
            break
            ;;
          2)
            arch-chroot ${MNT}
            break
            ;;
          *)
            invalid_option
            ;;
        esac
      done
      arch_chroot "grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg"
      ;;
    Syslinux)
      print_title "SYSLINUX - ${WIKI}/Syslinux"
      print_info "Syslinux is a collection of boot loaders capable of booting from hard drives, CDs, and over the network via PXE. It supports the fat, ext2, ext3, ext4, and btrfs file systems."
      syslinux_install_mode=("[MBR] Automatic" "[PARTITION] Automatic" "Manual")
      PS3="$prompt1"
      echo -e "Syslinux Install:\n"
      select OPT in "${syslinux_install_mode
  • }"; do
        case "$REPLY" in
          1)
            arch_chroot "syslinux-install_update -iam"
              sed -i "s/APPEND root=.*/APPEND root=\/dev\/mapper\/${ROOT_PART} cryptdevice=\/dev\/${LUKS_DISK}:crypt ro/g" ${MNT}/boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg
            elif [[ $LVM -eq 1 ]]; then
              sed -i "s/sda[0-9]/\/dev\/mapper\/${ROOT_PART}/g" ${MNT}/boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg
            else
              sed -i "s/sda[0-9]/${ROOT_PART}/g" ${MNT}/boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg
            fi
            print_warning "The partition in question needs to be whatever you have as / (root), not /boot."
            pause_function
            break
            ;;
          2)
            arch_chroot "syslinux-install_update -i"
              sed -i "s/APPEND root=.*/APPEND root=\/dev\/mapper\/${ROOT_PART} cryptdevice=\/dev\/${LUKS_DISK}:crypt ro/g" ${MNT}/boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg
              sed -i "s/sda[0-9]/\/dev\/mapper\/${ROOT_PART}/g" ${MNT}/boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg
            else
              sed -i "s/sda[0-9]/${ROOT_PART}/g" ${MNT}/boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg
            fi
            print_warning "The partition in question needs to be whatever you have as / (root), not /boot."
            pause_function
            break
            ;;
          *)
            invalid_option
            ;;
        esac
      done
      ;;
    Systemd)
      print_title "SYSTEMD-BOOT - ${WIKI}/Systemd-boot"
      print_info "systemd-boot (previously called gummiboot), is a simple UEFI boot manager which executes configured EFI images."
      print_warning "\tSystemd-boot heavily suggests that /boot is mounted to the EFI partition, not /boot/efi, in order to simplify updating and configuration."
      gummiboot_install_mode=("Automatic" "Manual")
      PS3="$prompt1"
      echo -e "Gummiboot install:\n"
      select OPT in "${gummiboot_install_mode
  • }"; do
        case "$REPLY" in
          1)
            arch_chroot "bootctl --path=${EFI_MNT} install"
            print_warning "Please check your .conf file"
            partuuid=`blkid -s PARTUUID ${ROOT_MNT} | awk '{print $2}' | sed 's/"//g' | sed 's/^.*=//'`
              echo -e "title\tArch Linux\nlinux\t/vmlinuz-linux\ninitrd\t/initramfs-linux.img\noptions\tcryptdevice=\/dev\/${LUKS_DISK}:luks root=\/dev\/mapper\/${ROOT_PART} rw" > ${MNT}/boot/loader/entries/arch.conf
              echo -e "title\tArch Linux\nlinux\t/vmlinuz-linux\ninitrd\t/initramfs-linux.img\noptions\troot=\/dev\/mapper\/${ROOT_PART} rw" > ${MNT}/boot/loader/entries/arch.conf
            else
              echo -e "title\tArch Linux\nlinux\t/vmlinuz-linux\ninitrd\t/initramfs-linux.img\noptions\troot=PARTUUID=${partuuid} rw" > ${MNT}/boot/loader/entries/arch.conf
            fi
            echo -e "default  arch\ntimeout  5" > ${MNT}/boot/loader/loader.conf
            pause_function
            break
            ;;
          2)
            arch-chroot ${MNT}
            break
            ;;
          *)
            invalid_option
            ;;
        esac
      done
      ;;
  esac
  pause_function
}
#}}}

Reply #39
got sick of writing so i installed terminator and ran sudo abinstall

got to grub and got a new error this time.  but i ran artixbang from the memory

# GRUB2 - https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB2
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GRUB2 is the next generation of the GRand Unified Bootloader
   (GRUB).
   In brief, the bootloader is the first software program that runs
   when a computer starts. It is responsible for loading and
   transferring control to the Linux kernel.

Grub Install:

1) Automatic
2) Manual
Enter your option: 1
Installing for i386-pc platform.
grub-install: error: install device isn't specified.
Generating grub configuration file ...
  WARNING: Failed to connect to lvmetad. Falling back to device scanning.
grub-probe: error: cannot find a GRUB drive for /dev/sdb1.  Check your device.map.
Found memtest86+ image: /boot/memtest86+/memtest.bin
done
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Press enter to continue...

Reply #40
and so this tim i went with the reg boot off the usb  and i have no separate boot partition in this setup.  and again im using terminator and running sudo abinstall so i dont have to type all this out

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# GRUB2 - https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB2
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

GRUB2 is the next generation of the GRand Unified
   Bootloader (GRUB).
   In brief, the bootloader is the first software program
   that runs when a computer starts. It is responsible for
   loading and transferring control to the Linux kernel.

Grub Install:

1) Automatic
2) Manual
Enter your option: 2
[artixbang /]# mount /dev/sda3 /mnt
[artixbang /]# arch-chroot /mnt /bin/bash
[artixbang /]# grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-linux
grub-probe: error: cannot find a GRUB drive for /dev/sdb1.  Check your device.map.
done
[artixbang /]# /usr/bin/grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-linux
done
[artixbang /]#

Reply #41
at this point i think i can honestly say there is nothing any user can do to make this work

Reply #42
Is sdb something like a thumb USB drive you have the arch-bang image in?  You are installing to sda (a hard drive?).
Is there any other system on this sda?  It would help anyone understand if you can write the exact partition map so we can help with specifics. # blkid 
os-prober may not pick up a live image drive, if that is what sdb is.

As far as I can recall arch-bang wasn't developing much and the last 2 isos produced were with arch's systemd standard system.  If there is something you really like from AB, why not install artix and then utilize the extra AB repository in your /etc/pacman.conf and install pkg from there?  By installing artix-lxqt you get openbox for free :)  Then add what you like.

There is also an AB forum : https://sourceforge.net/p/archbang/discussion/

Reply #43
I cant see any openrc / artix versions anymore on archbangs sourceforge page only systemd.

Im pretty sure the installer (Jeff Story's creation, developed by Carl Duff) was only intended for systemd to begin with so maybe as artix matures mr green may have a solution to the installer that is specific to artix and openrc. http://grgaud.blogspot.com/2015/09/architect-commnd-line-arch-installer.html

I remember using the exact same installer on pacbang linux.

I do what fungalnet mentions from the base install, just openbox it to run like archbang if you want or the other myriad of configuarations available.

1st thing i do is make sure xorg is working and i have all the needed files installed then install openbox or jwm or whatever window manager then install the rest and configure.

Reply #44
Ok, I stand corrected, there is no archbang repository.  I use openbox myself all the time so I never got interested in it as I am settled in my ways.  Archbang is pretty much arch with openbox, firefox, autologin no passwd sudo, a bg, tint2 panel, a customized obmenu with the installer added, many fonts and icons, pcmanfm-gtk3 for background and desktop icons, maybe a couple of scripts for long commands but the "editmirror" didn't actually work, and that's it.

Just tried the thing (abinstaller) on vm, and option one about partitioning was very uneasy, too many preconditioned options that doesn't allow much space for simplicity.  So this is what I did.
I formatted a small partition 3-4GB is plenty in ext4 from archbang live.  Let's say it is /dev/sda2
Then from terminal
# sudo mount /dev/sda2 /mnt
# sudo cp -ax  /  /mnt
# sudo arch-chroot /mnt
# passwd ablive
# passwd       <---  for root

edit the mirrorlist like the guide on desktop says

# sudo pacman -Syy
# sudo pacman -S linux     <--- to install an actual kernel - the live kernel will not boot on an installation
# sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
# sudo grub-install /dev/sda
# exit  <--- chroot
# sudo reboot

And that is it (exept if you want efi/uefi crap and separate /boot partition, which means you have to make a small partition separately and mount the /boot and populate it appropriately, you must know better :)

After that you are on your own of course unless you are going to "immediately" convert to artix (or obarun or hyperbola) and follow the instructions on how to remove "the crap" from your installation. 

You left manjaro to be looking  for more "crap" elsewhere ;)