Skip to main content
Topic: i've heard that deleting Epiphany can ruin an artix install, is this true? (Read 622 times) previous topic - next topic

i've heard that deleting Epiphany can ruin an artix install, is this true?

the subject has my question

Re: i've heard that deleting Epiphany can ruin an artix install, is this true?

Reply #1
Never had it installed, and never even hear of it before.

Reply #5
maybe it depends which flavor you install
for me, with kde, it was falkon
never used it but didn't try do uninstall it either

Reply #6
Who the heck told you that? No it's not true.

Reply #7
Fake news, don't listen to the 'fact checkers'.

Reply #8
Epiphany comes pre-installed with some of the desktop environments Artix supports. Depending on how well these are constructed with their dependency trees and whatnot, it could theoretically happen that a badly maintained package accidentally removed more packages than it meant to. Infamously, Pop_OS! used to have a short-lived bug where installing Steam would remove the entire desktop environment.

As far as I know, Artix does not have such a bug.

Either way: upon trying to remove a package, Pacman will actually tell you exactly which packages are going to be removed:

In this case, it tells you that dbus-python and passbook would be removed if I pressed confirm; which is fine by me.

If you see some packages that look important to the rest of the system in there that you do not want removed, don't do it.
You cannot wreck your system by trying to remove something; only by confirming that you want to remove packages which you didn't care to read.

Sorry that so far you only got flippant or unhelpful replies. Good luck with Epiphany.

Reply #9
Epiphany comes pre-installed with some of the desktop environments Artix supports. Depending on how well these are constructed with their dependency trees and whatnot, it could theoretically happen that a badly maintained package accidentally removed more packages than it meant to. Infamously, Pop_OS! used to have a short-lived bug where installing Steam would remove the entire desktop environment.

As far as I know, Artix does not have such a bug.

Either way: upon trying to remove a package, Pacman will actually tell you exactly which packages are going to be removed:

In this case, it tells you that dbus-python and passbook would be removed if I pressed confirm; which is fine by me.

If you see some packages that look important to the rest of the system in there that you do not want removed, don't do it.
You cannot wreck your system by trying to remove something; only by confirming that you want to remove packages which you didn't care to read.

Sorry that so far you only got flippant or unhelpful replies. Good luck with Epiphany.

Yeah I also remember on Debian where trying to uninstall any of the unused graphics drivers would uninstall Xorg entirely.