Skip to main content
Topic: KDE Plasma (Artix-Runit) : Graphical Issue (broken icons/menus) (Read 510 times) previous topic - next topic

KDE Plasma (Artix-Runit) : Graphical Issue (broken icons/menus)

Hi All,

I have a have a problem with the plasma GUI. (See attached image)
- the icons don't display and the menu's are messed up.

* I installed the system 2 weeks ago and ran fine until now. I am unsure of what I did prior to the issue that caused it.

So far, I have reset the config of all software, using this method.
  https://forum.manjaro.org/t/update-broke-the-system/73613/2
  - the problem still remains
  - the extent of problem is somewhat intermittent, as when I reboot the taskbar 'may' work for a while before breaking again.
  - it displayed correctly after a system update "pacman -Syu" , but when i rebooted, it broke again.

Do you have any suggestions to help me troubleshoot this?
- I am still new to linux, so may be something obvious

Many thanks in advance,

Re: KDE Plasma (Artix-Runit) : Graphical Issue (broken icons/menus)

Reply #1
I replied to a similar post:

This is the 2nd post to have issues with a fresh-ish Artix Plasma install recently (here's the other). I keep a KDE VM for the purpose of verifying KDE packages I maintain, and other than that I don't use Plasma at all. I'm not super familiar with the DE beyond that, so I can't offer much help aside from trying to reproduce. So that's what I tried.

I grabbed the official Plasma OpenRC image, installed to an erased disk, upgraded all packages, and restarted. I still have a fully working install.

Perhaps someone more familiar with KDE/Plasma can chime in. Or if you could try to recall the modifications you made, it might clue us non-Plasma folks in to what the problem might be.

Not really sure what could cause this.

Re: KDE Plasma (Artix-Runit) : Graphical Issue (broken icons/menus)

Reply #2
Hi & Thank you,
It appears to be a driver problem related to using a second monitor.
A temporary solution has been to keep the 2nd monitor unplugged until the system is booted. then plugging it in will work fine without issues.
- but the issue can come up again when the monitor wakes up again after the the laptop goes to sleep.

However, I have not noticed the issue in a while, since updating the nvidia driver, and disabling the sleep option on the laptop
Also, I am currently working configuring EnvyControl. But the issue is not present at this time.