Skip to main content
Topic: installer fails (Read 2692 times) previous topic - next topic

installer fails

I tried to install artix on to a virgin  hd but installation fails whatever i do while trying to install base pkgs. That happens with both isos.
Btw, the same is true with the manjaro commandline installer (architect?), only calamares seems to work ...

Re: installer fails

Reply #1
Have you partitioned the disk at all?
When you say calamares works, did you get a functional installation?

Reply #2
Have you partitioned the disk at all?
When you say calamares works, did you get a functional installation?

Sure i partitioned the hd. I even tried to partition it first (outside) of the installer. Calamares worked for me with the manjaro-i3 iso (not artix). But, so my impression, it installed a working, basic installation only from the installer stick (i had to customize then). Internet was up ...

My idea is, to install bspwm from manjaro (it's a very nice setup, i find) and to migrate then ... (but over there, i have the same problems with the commandline installer as here). Will see, what they will say ... ;)

Reply #3
Sure i partitioned the hd. I even tried to partition it first (outside) of the installer. Calamares worked for me with the manjaro-i3 iso (not artix). But, so my impression, it installed a working, basic installation only from the installer stick (i had to customize then). Internet was up ...

My idea is, to install bspwm from manjaro (it's a very nice setup, i find) and to migrate then ... (but over there, i have the same problems with the commandline installer as here). Will see, what they will say ... ;)
At the grub menu on the iso, for some unknown reason, the "netinstall option" is set at "no" you need to set it to "yes" to get the packages option screen in calamares.

Reply #4
At the grub menu on the iso, for some unknown reason, the "netinstall option" is set at "no" you need to set it to "yes" to get the packages option screen in calamares.

I just tried to install from the artix i3 iso: frankly, that's not fair: The installation went wrong (although all was set correctly and internet was up!) because of the wrong mirrorlist. I saw that calamares tried to get the files from a sourceforge based mirror and always prompted a 404 error. (Btw, also the new mirrors seem to have a problem (?) ).

From what i understood, the repositories have been moved away from sourceforge. Please don't take me wrong, i can pretty much understand the problems to offer a working and up-to-date installer iso. But wouldn't it be better to not offer for a download an iso which is destinated to fail just from the beginning?

Anyway, it would be nice to have some help to get this thing successfully installed though ...

PS. In the meantime, i tried an installation from the lxqt iso and it resulted in an  error too (i could not save it, unfortunately, but it was something like error line 34) ...

Reply #5
As far as I know the latest lxqt iso, which also has i3 as an option, if "netinstall" is set to "yes"
works well. A vague  statement of some error, won't get you much help here.

Reply #6
If you have the very first installer and you edit the mirrorlist manually to what is on the front page of artix, you can still update and install from that first iso that came out 9months ago (damn, has it been that long?).
If you saw sourceforge errors then you have an old iso.
Mirrorlists are in /etc/pacman.d/   one is for artix the other is for arch.
Just for wanting to try an i3 installation I take my hat off to you, you are not a new linux user.  It took a while for me as I had no arch experience.  Brief manjaro-openrc experience, and that was nasty (manjaro not openrc).
All you need is to memorize a url before you boot the installer, artixlinux.org and I think it is the 4th or 5th item down the blog.

Reply #7
Just for wanting to try an i3 installation I take my hat off to you, you are not a new linux user.  It took a while for me as I had no arch experience.  Brief manjaro-openrc experience, and that was nasty (manjaro not openrc).
All you need is to memorize a url before you boot the installer, artixlinux.org and I think it is the 4th or 5th item down the blog.

Not really, frankly. I'm trying around a bit between i3, bspwm and xmonad. I'm a long time slackware user with xmonad on top of xfce. That works fine, not at least thanks to the very nice xmonad support on freenode. But i'm afraid slackware too will adapt systemd, earlier or later. So, i'm looking around for alternatives ;)

Some time ago i tried the manjaro jwm openrc edition and found it quite nice (especially esthetically). I'd like to migrate the manjaro i3 or bspwm to artix ...

PS. I've a pretty practical reason for using tiling wm: Often i've to do text editions and there, it's nice to have side by side the text versions (best with 2 screens :) ).

Reply #8
Ok, I retried a clean installation using the lxqt iso, setting netinstall to yes and adapting the mirrorlist to the actual mirrors like in git-hub.

Calamares while trying to install the filesystem, gives me the following error(s):

Code: [Select]
Boost.Python-Fehler in job "initcpio".

<class 'subprocess.CalledProcessError'>
Command 'mkinitcpio -p linux' returned non-zero exit status 1.
Traceback:

File "/usr/lib/calamares/modules/initcpio/main.py". line 36, in run
      run_mkinitcpio()

File  "/usr/lib/calamares/modules/initcpio/main.py". line 28, in run_mkinitcpio
      check_target_env_call(['mkinitcpio', '-p', kernel])

File "<string>", line 2, in <module>

Reply #9
Sorry to say but that will not be the error. The error occurs before this and is usually a package that can't be found and that then triggers this error. Run calamares from a terminal and scroll back up to see the real error.
sudo calamares -d

Reply #10
I ran calamares -d from both isos (i3 and lxqt) both fail. And in the output in the terminal i do not see any other error msg than those i already posted. I'm clueless at this point.

Reply #11
Btw, is it possible the mirror servers are down? In the terminal output of the failing calamares i'm getting this error:

09:08:01 [1]: Job file "/usr/lib/calamares/modules/chrootcfg/main.py" 
09:08:01 [1]: Job "chrootcfg" (doc) -> "Download and install package selection"
09:08:01 [1]: [PYTHON JOB]:  "key: try_install"
error: failed retrieving file 'system-testing.db' from jenkins.artixlinux.org:55555 : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed retrieving file 'system-testing.db' from mirror1.artixlinux.org : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed retrieving file 'system-testing.db' from artix.wheaton.edu : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed retrieving file 'system-testing.db' from mirror.strits.dk : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed retrieving file 'system-testing.db' from mirrors.dotsrc.org : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed retrieving file 'world-testing.db' from jenkins.artixlinux.org:55555 : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed retrieving file 'world-testing.db' from mirror1.artixlinux.org : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed retrieving file 'world-testing.db' from artix.wheaton.edu : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed retrieving file 'world-testing.db' from mirror.strits.dk : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed retrieving file 'world-testing.db' from mirrors.dotsrc.org : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed retrieving file 'galaxy-testing.db' from jenkins.artixlinux.org:55555 : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed retrieving file 'galaxy-testing.db' from mirror1.artixlinux.org : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed retrieving file 'galaxy-testing.db' from artix.wheaton.edu : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed retrieving file 'galaxy-testing.db' from mirror.strits.dk : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed retrieving file 'galaxy-testing.db' from mirrors.dotsrc.org : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed retrieving file 'lib32-testing.db' from jenkins.artixlinux.org:55555 : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed retrieving file 'lib32-testing.db' from mirror1.artixlinux.org : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed retrieving file 'lib32-testing.db' from artix.wheaton.edu : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed retrieving file 'lib32-testing.db' from mirror.strits.dk : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed retrieving file 'lib32-testing.db' from mirrors.dotsrc.org : The requested URL returned error: 404
warning: skipping target: dmidecode
warning: skipping target: network-manager-applet

and consequentely no packages are downloaded neither installed ...

Reply #12
Ok, i finally i got the installation from the lxqt iso go thru. I edited the pacman.conf in the livesystem according to the instructions  for the migration. Same for the keyring operations. But only to discover:

the i3 config file is simply that of the manjaro installation - but all the needed files from terminal thru palemoon and spacefm and all the needed little helpers were not installed along with the basic i3 desktop - in some way logical since it is artix not manjaro but really bad. Nothing works, no access to terminal, no logout, no user change really nothing nothing. I would have been better to ship the default config file with i3 which would require handish work, but at least it would be possible. In this way it's only a mess.

Moreover, i can not even configure the network manager due to missing rights (and since i've no terminal access i cannot even do this by sudo in a terminal) Why networkmanager needs root rights?

Thanks to you all for your patience and help. I appreciate that a lot. But i think i will stick with my other os for the moment and wait a while to see if artix will become a viable option.

May be nevertheless, i'm allowed to suggest something (?) ...

So i'd like to say this:

May be better than a not functional live iso would be a basic installer img with a good text instruction how and where to get the actual mirror- and config settings.

If you do a live img, i for one would have appreciated to have

a) a browser (may be for a live environment midori would do the job? otherwise some of the stripped down firefox'?),
b) a graphical editor which easily can be executed as root (mousepad, medit, geany ... whatever)
c) a filemanager which is able even out of the livesystem to mount devices (like e.g. spacefm - but probably also pcmanfm could be configured to do that).

Good luck and all the best for the moment.