Skip to main content
Topic: HDMI Audio Out Issue (Read 560 times) previous topic - next topic

HDMI Audio Out Issue

I'm a bit stumped on this, with my laptop - if I have the HDMI cable connected when I boot, the system recognizes the HDMI audio out no problem and I can get audio/video on the second monitor/TV. If I look in my audio mixer, I see the GF108 High Definition Audio Controller Digital Stereo (HDMI 4) enabled and the Port: HDMI / DisplayPort 4 (Plugged in).

If the HDMI cable is not plugged in when the system boots, and I plug it in after the fact, it shows up as Digital Surround 5.1 (HDMI 4) Output (unplugged) (unavailable)

Seems like I have to be missing something so it doesn't need the HDMI plugged in at boot to recognize the audio.

Thanks in advance!

Re: HDMI Audio Out Issue

Reply #1
Are you using pulseaudio or pipewire?

Reply #2
Pulseaudio, seems both package are installed though.  Using pavucontrol to manage the volume in XFCE.

Reply #3
Hello,

I had similar issues with pulseaudio.

It's been two years since I removed all pulse packages except libpulse and libcanberra.

I use alsa and the nice and very practical qastools mixer on different pc :
https://forum.artixlinux.org/index.php/topic,4318.msg27848.html#msg27848

Note: I don't play games and don't use wine or steam.

Reply #4
Pulseaudio, seems both package are installed though.  Using pavucontrol to manage the volume in XFCE.

Whenever I have a similiar problem like yours, I just kill pulseaudio and either restart it manually or let pavucontrol restart it for me and the problem is fixed.

Reply #5
Thanks! The kill it and restart it did the trick, bit of annoyance to have to that, but bash aliases to the rescue! I seem to recall when I put my system together five years ago, that Pulseaudio was the only way Firefox would be able to play audio so that is what I went with. Thanks again everyone, can always count on the forums here for a solution.