Skip to main content
Topic: [SOLVED] I3 won't load with s6 init (Read 410 times) previous topic - next topic

[SOLVED] I3 won't load with s6 init

Hello all,
I have been happily running Artix runit on my main laptop, but have recently installed Artix s6 mate iso on a new laptop. Everything is working great, however, I can't seem to launch i3wm as xorg crashes. I get this error:

Code: [Select]
xf86EnableIO: failed to enable I/O ports 0000-03ff (Operation not permitted)

I have uploaded my full Xorg log that xorg points me to. I don't have any issues running any other window manager or desktop, and a change of DM doesn't change anything.

This is on a Thinkpad l14 gen amd with a Ryzen 7 processor and 16gbs of ram.

I have tried loading i3wm and i3-gapps with a stock/blank config file and my custom one. My installed graphics drivers are:
Code: [Select]
xf86-input-libinput 1.2.1-1
xf86-input-vmmouse 13.2.0-1
xf86-video-amdgpu 22.0.0-1.1
xf86-video-dummy 0.4.0-1
xf86-video-fbdev 0.5.0-3
xf86-video-openchrome 0.6.0.r798.g0c75274-1
xf86-video-sisusb 0.9.7-4
xf86-video-vesa 2.6.0-1
xf86-video-vmware 13.3.0-4
xf86-video-voodoo 1.2.6-1

I also apologize in advance if this is a noob question or if I didn't include enough information to help fix the problem.

Re: I3 won't load with s6 init

Reply #1
Are you using a login manager or startx do launch i3?

If using startx, can you give us the contents of your ~/.xinitrc ?

Reply #2
Yes, I am using tbsm to launch i3. I have also tried lightdm with the same results and "startx i3" in a tty also does not work.

I actually don't have a ~/.xinitrc, since my installation is fresh and I typically just use tbsm to launch everything.

Reply #3
I apologize for double posting, but it looks like I can boot into i3 with root. The error that is causes X to fail must be some kind of permissions error. I'm going to try adding my user to a bunch of groups to see if I can fix this that way.

EDIT: After some gracious help from people on the official i3 IRC and using gdb, we found that I had a file in my ~/.icons, which was placed by lxqt, that caused i3 to segfault. :( After deleting the file, i3 booted perfectly fine. My issues had nothing to do with s6, as my runit machine also started to exhibit the same behavior.

One thing I learned is, if you need to debug an xorg-based window manager, you can just boot into xorg with just xterm (by putting only xterm in your ~/.xinitrc) and then load the window manager to see whatever output is generated, in case anyone else runs into a similar issue.

Thank you for anyone considering helping on this topic. Now, to report this anomaly upstream to the i3 devs...