Skip to main content
Topic: Cannot update my system: error: package: signature from ... is unknown trust (Read 702 times) previous topic - next topic

Cannot update my system: error: package: signature from ... is unknown trust

In the last few months I have not been able to update my Artix system (x86-64 laptop, AMD Ryzen 2700, Lenovo).

This is what I do:

1) Update the mirror list: 
Code: [Select]
sudo pacman -U ./artix-mirrorlist-20221209-1-any.pkg.tar.zst
2) Rename the mirror list file name: 
sudo mv /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist.pacnew /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist
3) Launch Pacman: 
sudo pacman -Syyu
Everything seems to be going all right: "Retrieving packages", "checking keys in keyring", "checking package integrity" are successful.

Then, I get a series of questions such as:

error: archlinux-keyring: signature from "Dudemanguy <[email protected]>" is unknown trust
:: File /var/cache/pacman/pkg/archlinux-keyring-20221220-1-any.pkg.tar.zst is corrupted (invalid or corrupted package (PGP signature)).
Do you want to delete it? [Y/n]

No matter what I enter (y or n), at the end I get to the following error message:

error: failed to commit transaction (invalid or corrupted package)
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.

I tried to reinstall Artix from scrach, with no improvement.

Thank you for your help.

Re: Cannot update my system: error: package: signature from ... is unknown trust

Reply #1
Just update artix-keyring first. It should be version 20220901-1.

Re: Cannot update my system: error: package: signature from ... is unknown trust

Reply #2
@Dudemanguy - My artix-keyring is already at version 20220901-1.
It must be something else.

Reply #3
Edit: Sorry nonsense reply. Try again !
One thing to try if you wish. 

If it isn't installed install pacutils.
You may have to download it manually and install it with
sudo pacman -U pacutils-0.11.1-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst
Then run
paccheck --list-broken
(if you get any permissions errors you can run as sudo)
artix-branding-base will show as broken but almost certainly that's just because it deletes some of it's own files on first run so you can ignore that.

Reply #4
Here is what I get:

% sudo paccheck --list-broken
artix-branding-base
openbox

Reply #5
Run the same as do below and see if your checksums match mine ?
md5sum /var/cache/pacman/pkg/archlinux-keyring-20221220-1-any.pkg.tar.zst*
78ed09ee425a8f2f1068eb8514a1e59d  /var/cache/pacman/pkg/archlinux-keyring-20221220-1-any.pkg.tar.zst
886e4937e56b62f783dcb0ba10bb375d  /var/cache/pacman/pkg/archlinux-keyring-20221220-1-any.pkg.tar.zst.sig

Reply #6
% md5sum /var/cache/pacman/pkg/archlinux-keyring-20221220-1-any.pkg.tar.zst*
78ed09ee425a8f2f1068eb8514a1e59d  /var/cache/pacman/pkg/archlinux-keyring-20221220-1-any.pkg.tar.zst
886e4937e56b62f783dcb0ba10bb375d  /var/cache/pacman/pkg/archlinux-keyring-20221220-1-any.pkg.tar.zst.sig

% md5sum /var/cache/pacman/pkg/artix-keyring-20220901-1-any.pkg.tar.zst*
8b21e9d7a99f56e62e2ce4daf370f9d6  /var/cache/pacman/pkg/artix-keyring-20220901-1-any.pkg.tar.zst
787979bf7716c48ac837bf580e45f3eb  /var/cache/pacman/pkg/artix-keyring-20220901-1-any.pkg.tar.zst.sig

Reply #7
This post and thread from very recently seems like it might be related ?
https://forum.artixlinux.org/index.php/topic,4910.msg31417.html#msg31417
I modified the sh script to install artix-keyring first and it still gives me Dudeman error

* pacman-key --refresh fixes this issue after installing artix-keyring archlinux-keyring and artix-archlinux-support. 
Other than that I'm not sure sorry.

Reply #8
@gripped - No improvement with that, either. Thank you for your help, anyway.

Reply #9
The whole issue really sounds like the pacman gnupg folder may have the incorrect permissions.
#ls -l /etc/pacman.d
drwxr-xr-x 5 root root  4096 Dec 22 00:32 gnupg
If one uses gnupg directly on the /etc/pacman.d/gnupg folder it will complain about permissions. If you change it, pacman will no longer be able to function correctly in my experience.

Or maybe the whole /etc/pacman.d/gnupg folder is broken somehow.
#mv /etc/pacman.d/gnupg /etc/pacman.d/gnupg-original
#pacman-key --init
Comment out the Archlinux repos or any non Artix ones in /etc/pacman.conf. Once the Artix keyring is re-initialized, pacman -Syyu should function again. Then try to do the archlinux stuff afterwards.

I cannot say for sure if this is your issue though since you did say you try a fresh install without success. Some type of hardware issue maybe causing gremlins for you.
I would also try to get another new version of the installation media and see if you can use pacman through it. If it does, it is possible to point the installation pacman to the root of the system's file structure once the systems file partitions in /etc/fstab have been mounted.
(The system root partition has been mounted to /mnt/artix.)
#pacman --root  /mnt/artix  -Syu <what packages you want>
This would be the way I would try to get the pacman-key artixlinux-keyring functioning without starting from scratch if everything else fails. It is the basic manually way to install the whole OS so it should not fail.