Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: Libtiiff problem upgrade (Read 1478 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Libtiiff problem upgrade

Reply #15
Thus it is not possible when using "pacman" directly to incorrectly select the Arch version.
You could be right. I'm seem to recall being asked which repo to install dependencies from when using pacman as well.
But with no consistency. Sometimes asked, sometimes not. More often not. Maybe I'm mistaken and it's only happened with yay ?
I should pay more attention.

Anyway the crux of it is if anyone has library mismatches make sure you have not inadvertently installed Arch packages where Artix packages exist.

Reply #16
That's a yay shortcut feature, it has a number of things like that to avoid typing long commands, but there are something like 80+ AUR helpers in the AUR and they are not all the same, Pakku gives the same behaviour as Pacman in this respect, like many others:
Code: [Select]
$ pakku -Ss firefox
world/firefox 108.0.1-1 [installed]
    Standalone web browser from mozilla.org
extra/firefox 108.0.2-1 [installed: 108.0.1-1]
    Standalone web browser from mozilla.org
$ pakku -s firefox
error: invalid option '-s'
$ pakku -S firefox
warning: firefox-108.0.1-1 is up to date -- reinstalling
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...

Packages (1) firefox-108.0.1-1

Total Installed Size:  237.73 MiB
Net Upgrade Size:        0.00 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n]
Occasionally if you get a new dependency added in an upgrade you might get asked "there are 2 providers for pkgname" then have to select 1 or 2, 1 should be the Artix one as the top repo, that can happen even with Pacman. It's good to be able to use makepkg and understand PKGBUILD's, and that approach is often suited to some circumstances even if you use an AUR helper too, but if you have a number of AUR packages it gets impractical to constantly check for updates and build them manually when you can simply -Syu with your AUR helper and save yourself a bit of time, but of course it depends on personal circumstance and preference, and you should study the usage of the software in question. Enabling additional repos and using the AUR is going to make more demands on your package management skills and increase the chance of needing to resolve issues.

Reply #17
Pakku looks interesting. I will check it out.
The amount of AUR helpers that exist is quite large and I never tried more than the ones which appeared to work well enough such as "yay" and "octopi" when discovered.
Thanks. :)

Yaourtix is dead.

Reply #19
Give yaourtix a shot too, it has it's own perks that will help for situations like this

Given that yaourtix was once started by myself, I have to state that it is dead since yaourt, which it depends on, also is dead. So in the end I did not finish yaourtix, most notably that fetching package sources from Artix repositories is incomplete (not all package sources can be fetched).

Yaourtix is dead.

Reply #20
Give yaourtix a shot too, it has it's own perks that will help for situations like this

Given that yaourtix was once started by myself, I have to state that it is dead since yaourt, which it builds upon (in fact, yaourtix is just some patches to yaourt to enable Artix' source download with the -G option), also is dead. So in the end I did not finish yaourtix, most notably that fetching package sources from Artix repositories is incomplete (not all package sources can be fetched).