Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: [SOLVED] Suddenly getting a "X Error of failed request: BadValue" with Wine (Read 4210 times) previous topic - next topic

[SOLVED] Suddenly getting a "X Error of failed request: BadValue" with Wine

I'm suddenly getting the following error when trying to run some programs or games with Wine:
Code: [Select]
X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)
  Major opcode of failed request:  152 (GLX)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  3 (X_GLXCreateContext)
  Value in failed request:  0x0
  Serial number of failed request:  420
  Current serial number in output stream:  421
I'm using the nvidia-dkms drivers. I tried to downgrade the package with no luck.
I thought this could be related to opengl, but I can run glxgears. I've also tried with different wine versions but the problem is still there.

Re: Suddenly getting a "X Error of failed request: BadValue" with Wine

Reply #1
Found the problem. This was happening with 32 bit programs as lib32-nvidia-utils was on version 525.78 while the nvidia drivers on version 525.60 (Artix is still on 525.60 while Arch on 525.78). Not sure why my -Syu updated that package from Arch since it's also in the Artix lib32 repo. Anyway downgrading it fixed the problem.

Re: [SOLVED] Suddenly getting a "X Error of failed request: BadValue" with Wine

Reply #2
I noticed something like this when trying to run Steam and OBS today, is there a guide for how to downgrade the driver? I did some searching but I don't really want to mess something substantial up. Even though the risk is pretty insignificant for this particular installation, I'd still rather not ruin something.

Steam Error
steam.sh[5244]: Running Steam on artix rolling 64-bit
steam.sh[5244]: STEAM_RUNTIME is enabled automatically
setup.sh[5318]: Steam runtime environment up-to-date!
steam.sh[5244]: Steam client's requirements are satisfied
[2023-01-11 20:35:12] Startup - updater built Dec 15 2022 21:26:49
[2023-01-11 20:35:12] Startup - Steam Client launched with: '/home/tuxpeng/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam'
Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/version(1671236931)
SteamUpdateUI: An X Error occurred
X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)

I saw a thread from 2021 giving some advice on how to do it, but I'm not sure if I have the correct package name.

# pacman -U file:///var/cache/pacman/pkg/package-old_version.pkg.tar.type

Unless I should just wait until everything else is up to date? I can live without playing my steam library and OBS for a little longer I guess. They mentioned nvidia-dkms, but I don't seem to even have any of those packages installed. I just have the following:
nvidia 525.60.11-3 [installed]
nvidia-settings 525.60.11-2 [installed]
nvidia-utils 525.60.11-1 [installed]
lib32-nvidia-utils 525.78.01-1 [installed]
nvidia 525.78.01-2 [installed: 525.60.11-3]
nvidia-settings 525.78.01-1 [installed: 525.60.11-2]
nvidia-utils 525.78.01-1 [installed: 525.60.11-1]
lib32-nvidia-utils 525.78.01-1 [installed]

Any advice? This is my first experience with something like this breaking. There are some other things I'm trying (and failing to find much in terms of searches for the error messages I am seeing in regard to DE related issues), but this has at least Steam and OBS unusable currently, they were working fine a few days ago.

Reply #3
This is assuming you are using Artix nvidia packages:

It helps to show the command you used to get the output.
Your output is showing multiple versions of the same package installed ? Which will not be the case.

I noticed the lib32-nvidia-utils upgrade (525.78.01) a couple of days ago. Checked nvidia-dkms and nvidia-utils and they were still at 525.60.11
So I let the update complete and immediately downgraded lib32-nvidia-utils
sudo pacman -U /var/cache/pacman/pkg/lib32-nvidia-utils-525.60.11-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst

I've just checked for you and the normal (not dkms) nvidia is also on 525.60.11

So the above command should work for you.
If you don't set the package to ignore in /etc/pacman.conf it will be upgraded again if you do a full update.
I will just leave it a good few days before I update and hopefully things will be in sync by then.

Shame it happens but it does. Prudent to watch out for nvidia updates and check the versions all match.
nvidia (or nvidia-dkms) + nvidia-utils + lib32-nvidia-utils must match versions except for the bit after last hyphen in the version number.

Edit: And don't worry about dkms. You have nvidia + nvidia-utils + lib32-nvidia-utils
lib32-nvidia-utils needs downgrading but by the time you read this maybe the others will have caught up so try another full system upgrade first.

Reply #4
$ pacman -Ss nvidia-utils
$ world/nvidia-utils 525.60.11-1 [installed]
$ lib32/lib32-nvidia-utils 525.78.01-1 [installed]
This is the first time that I have seen the 32 bit version ahead of the 64 bit one. Usually the previous breaks were the other way around with the 64 bit being ahead of the 32 bit version.
The latest version appears to be still in trunk:
$ git clone https://gitea.artixlinux.org/packagesN/nvidia-utils.git
$ cd vim nvidia-utils/trunk/PKGBUILD
pkgbase=nvidia-utils
pkgname=('nvidia-utils' 'opencl-nvidia' 'nvidia-dkms')
pkgver=525.78.01

Reply #5
This is assuming you are using Artix nvidia packages:

It helps to show the command you used to get the output.
Your output is showing multiple versions of the same package installed ? Which will not be the case.

I noticed the lib32-nvidia-utils upgrade (525.78.01) a couple of days ago. Checked nvidia-dkms and nvidia-utils and they were still at 525.60.11
So I let the update complete and immediately downgraded lib32-nvidia-utils
sudo pacman -U /var/cache/pacman/pkg/lib32-nvidia-utils-525.60.11-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst

I've just checked for you and the normal (not dkms) nvidia is also on 525.60.11

So the above command should work for you.
If you don't set the package to ignore in /etc/pacman.conf it will be upgraded again if you do a full update.
I will just leave it a good few days before I update and hopefully things will be in sync by then.

Shame it happens but it does. Prudent to watch out for nvidia updates and check the versions all match.
nvidia (or nvidia-dkms) + nvidia-utils + lib32-nvidia-utils must match versions except for the bit after last hyphen in the version number.

Edit: And don't worry about dkms. You have nvidia + nvidia-utils + lib32-nvidia-utils
lib32-nvidia-utils needs downgrading but by the time you read this maybe the others will have caught up so try another full system upgrade first.

I ran "steam" in the terminal to get that output. 

The other, I just listed the installed packages from pacman -Ss nvidia | grep installed.  This is the full output of it.
world/egl-wayland 2:1.1.11-2 [installed]
world/libvdpau 1.5-1 [installed]
world/libxnvctrl 525.60.11-2 [installed]
world/nvidia 525.60.11-3 [installed]
world/nvidia-settings 525.60.11-2 [installed]
world/nvidia-utils 525.60.11-1 [installed]
world/xf86-video-nouveau 1.0.17-2 (xorg-drivers) [installed]
lib32/lib32-nvidia-utils 525.78.01-1 [installed]
extra/egl-wayland 2:1.1.11-2 [installed]
extra/libvdpau 1.5-1 [installed]
extra/libxnvctrl 525.78.01-1 [installed: 525.60.11-2]
extra/nvidia 525.78.01-2 [installed: 525.60.11-3]
extra/nvidia-settings 525.78.01-1 [installed: 525.60.11-2]
extra/nvidia-utils 525.78.01-1 [installed: 525.60.11-1]
extra/xf86-video-nouveau 1.0.17-2 (xorg-drivers) [installed]
multilib/lib32-nvidia-utils 525.78.01-1 [installed]

To install the drivers I followed the advice in this thread which links to the Arch Wiki https://forum.artixlinux.org/index.php/topic,3421.0.html 

I'm using one of the community builds with openrc of Artix. I have this installed to  a secondary hard drive because I was testing things out before I finally decided to try using Artix on my larger hard drive (even though, I know that technically I could just use the primary drive as a storage drive only). I'm sure I've also done some stuff that wasn't done correctly, but I know nvidia doesn't play nice with Linux typically either.

I've been wanting to remove packages I'm not using, like MATE, which the build I downloaded came with. There probably are some package conflicts and other issues on top of this. There's quite a bit of software included in the community build that I'm not actively using and having messed around with another Artix ISO (The KDE one)  in a virtual machine, I will probably just go with one of those and add the Arch repositories. I don't have anything particularly important or unique currently installed on this drive, so I could start over if need be. Granted, it would feel kind of like a waste of the past month or so since I installed Artix.

I am probably not at the exact skill level required to use Artix without so many issues and I will absolutely own anything going wrong as being user error outside of things that are out of my control regarding Nvidia not playing nice with Linux in a lot of ways. I have learned a lot during this time, I wouldn't have tried out Artix if I thought I was completely unprepared (I have a decent enough Unix/Linux background). Although, some errors I see such as in the .xsessions-errors file, I can't find a lot of useful information by doing searches. I'm using XFCE primarily as my DE, I also installed KDE  Plasma, but I've been having some issues with both in terms of what is in my .xsession-errors file. I will probably make a post at some point in the future but I'm trying really hard to try and gather as much information and hopefully be able to solve the problem.

I've noted a lot of mistakes I've made, but I am learning from my mistakes. My machine still boots and I can still use it, so I haven't completely ruined it yet. I am always willing to learn, I just like to try and see what all I can determine from my own research and even if I can't figure it out, at least provide all the information I can before posting questions. I also worry about being a nuisance, which is why I try to do a bunch of research and gather everything together if I can't come to a conclusion before making a post.

I appreciate your help and advice.

Reply #6
and hopefully be able to solve the problem.
Unless I'm misunderstanding you I told you how to solve the problem?

I get it now
pacman -Ss nvidia | grep installed
That's showing the packages available from all repo's. I guess the 'installed' just means that the particular package is installed. Not giving any information as to which version and from which repo it came from.
Better to use pacman -Qi PKGNAME individually to see what version is installed and from where.

Reply #7
Unless I'm misunderstanding you I told you how to solve the problem?

When I said "and hopefully be able to solve the problem." I mean in general for any time I'm trying to troubleshoot and resolve issues. There are some issues I see pop up that aren't causing my system to crash or have any other issues that are  critical (that I am aware of, outside of Steam and OBS, everything else seems to be working without issues). Mostly things I'm seeing in my .xsession-errors file. That's mostly what I'm trying to troubleshoot right now.

Reply #8
It appears that you have both noveau and nvidia drivers installed.

world/nvidia 525.60.11-3 [installed]
world/xf86-video-nouveau 1.0.17-2 (xorg-drivers) [installed]
I would recommend uninstalling the noveau driver if you are using the nvidia driver or the nvidia-dkms driver.
Noveau and nvidia modules have been know to conflict with each other.
To keep it simple just have the one you are using installed.

Reply #9
Is there any easy way to tell which driver is actively being used? I did some searches, and the only things that really came up were just testing the graphics card with glxgears -info which, worked, but I didn't see any listing of what driver was being used. If I uninstall the driver you mentioned, the nouveau one, would my display disappear from my graphics card potentially? I haven't done any changes suggested in this thread yet.

I saw another topic talking about how, similarly with an nvidia card, someone was having issues with VLC crashing upon playing videos, and I can confirm that I'm experiencing that as well with no changes to my system, but MPV is still working fine.

Reply #10
Have a look in /var/log/Xorg.log.0

That will tell you. If you can't make sense of it post it here.

Reply #11
I was able to remove the nouveau package without any issues.

After a full system update today I am able to run steam, but OBS and VLC are still not working.

artix:[TuxPeng]:~% obs
QApplication: invalid style override 'gtk' passed, ignoring it.
Available styles: kvantum-dark, kvantum, Windows, Fusion
debug: Found portal inhibitor
debug: Attempted path: share/obs/obs-studio/locale/en-US.ini
debug: Attempted path: /usr/share/obs/obs-studio/locale/en-US.ini
debug: Attempted path: share/obs/obs-studio/locale.ini
debug: Attempted path: /usr/share/obs/obs-studio/locale.ini
debug: Attempted path: share/obs/obs-studio/themes/Yami.qss
debug: Attempted path: /usr/share/obs/obs-studio/themes/Yami.qss
info: Using EGL/X11
info: CPU Name: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6500 CPU @ 3.20GHz
info: CPU Speed: 3436.677MHz
info: Physical Cores: 4, Logical Cores: 4
info: Physical Memory: 15938MB Total, 10602MB Free
info: Kernel Version: Linux 6.1.4-artix1-1
info: Distribution: "Artix Linux" Unknown
info: Session Type: x11
info: Window System: X11.0, Vendor: The X.Org Foundation, Version: 1.21.1
info: Qt Version: 6.4.2 (runtime), 6.4.2 (compiled)
info: Portable mode: false
qt.core.qmetaobject.connectslotsbyname: QMetaObject::connectSlotsByName: No matching signal for on_tbar_position_valueChanged(int)
info: OBS 29.0.0-1 (linux)
info: ---------------------------------
info: audio settings reset:
samples per sec: 48000
speakers:        2
max buffering:   960 milliseconds
buffering type:  dynamically increasing
info: Initializing OpenGL...
info: Loading up OpenGL on adapter NVIDIA Corporation NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti/PCIe/SSE2
info: OpenGL loaded successfully, version 3.3.0 NVIDIA 525.78.01, shading language 3.30 NVIDIA via Cg compiler
info: video settings reset:
base resolution:   1920x1080
output resolution: 1920x1080
downscale filter:  Bicubic
fps:               60/1
format:            NV12
YUV mode:          Rec. 709/Partial
info: NV12 texture support not available
info: P010 texture support not available
info: Audio monitoring device:
name: Default
id: default
warning: Failed to load 'en-US' text for module: 'decklink-captions.so'
warning: Failed to load 'en-US' text for module: 'decklink-output-ui.so'
libDeckLinkAPI.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
warning: A DeckLink iterator could not be created.  The DeckLink drivers may not be installed
warning: Failed to initialize module 'decklink.so'
info: [pipewire] No captures available
warning: v4l2loopback not installed, virtual camera disabled
info: NVENC supported
Segmentation fault

I do see  packages for the mentioned "v4l2loopback" I don't see anything about DeckLink in terms of packages. Considering OBS was running just fine before Monday or Tuesday's  updates... I don't know.

world/v4l-utils 1.22.1-1 [installed]
    Userspace tools and conversion library for Video 4 Linux
community/v4l2loopback-dkms 0.12.7-2
    v4l2-loopback device – module sources
community/v4l2loopback-utils 0.12.7-2
    v4l2-loopback device – utilities only

I'm also having the same issue I've had with vlc, and it seems the issue is with another driver, from an arch linux forum thread with the same issue.

Quote from: 2023-01-08 08:22:35 dtbaumann
"seems to be caused by the recent update of libva to 2.17.0-1. Downgrading to libva 2.16.0-1 helped here."

So I'll try downgrading that, I guess. I don't really NEED vlc player at the moment, since mpv works fine for most of my needs. I'm not sure if mpv can play DVDs/blurays but I can't say I'm really running a lot of those these days. I have some screen captures I'd like to do with OBS, so getting that up and running again would be nice.

Reply #12
Maybe you need this in AUR:
aur/decklink 12.4.1-2 (+23 0.01) 
    Drivers for Blackmagic Design DeckLink, Intensity or Multibridge video editing cards

Package Details: decklink 12.4.1-2
Reequired by:
    obs-studio-browser (optional)
    obs-studio-rc (optional)
    obs-studio-tytan652 (optional)

Reply #13
I tried installing decklink, and I'm still not able to run obs.
artix:[tuxpeng]:~% obs
QApplication: invalid style override 'gtk' passed, ignoring it.
Available styles: kvantum-dark, kvantum, Windows, Fusion
debug: Found portal inhibitor
debug: Attempted path: share/obs/obs-studio/locale/en-US.ini
debug: Attempted path: /usr/share/obs/obs-studio/locale/en-US.ini
debug: Attempted path: share/obs/obs-studio/locale.ini
debug: Attempted path: /usr/share/obs/obs-studio/locale.ini
debug: Attempted path: share/obs/obs-studio/themes/Yami.qss
debug: Attempted path: /usr/share/obs/obs-studio/themes/Yami.qss
info: Using EGL/X11
info: CPU Name: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6500 CPU @ 3.20GHz
info: CPU Speed: 3471.917MHz
info: Physical Cores: 4, Logical Cores: 4
info: Physical Memory: 15938MB Total, 13237MB Free
info: Kernel Version: Linux 6.1.4-artix1-1
info: Distribution: "Artix Linux" Unknown
info: Session Type: x11
info: Window System: X11.0, Vendor: The X.Org Foundation, Version: 1.21.1
info: Qt Version: 6.4.2 (runtime), 6.4.2 (compiled)
info: Portable mode: false
qt.core.qmetaobject.connectslotsbyname: QMetaObject::connectSlotsByName: No matching signal for on_tbar_position_valueChanged(int)
info: OBS 29.0.0-1 (linux)
info: audio settings reset:
samples per sec: 48000
speakers:        2
max buffering:   960 milliseconds
buffering type:  dynamically increasing
info: Initializing OpenGL...
info: Loading up OpenGL on adapter NVIDIA Corporation NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti/PCIe/SSE2
info: OpenGL loaded successfully, version 3.3.0 NVIDIA 525.78.01, shading language 3.30 NVIDIA via Cg compiler
info: video settings reset:
base resolution:   1920x1080
output resolution: 1920x1080
downscale filter:  Bicubic
fps:               60/1
format:            NV12
YUV mode:          Rec. 709/Partial
info: NV12 texture support not available
info: P010 texture support not available
info: Audio monitoring device:
name: Default
id: default
warning: Failed to load 'en-US' text for module: 'decklink-captions.so'
warning: Failed to load 'en-US' text for module: 'decklink-output-ui.so'
info: Decklink API Compiled version 11.6
info: Decklink API Installed version 12.4.1
info: [pipewire] No captures available
info: NVENC supported
Segmentation fault

I even tried installing the v4l2loopback packages, and the above is what I get when trying to run obs. I was able to run OBS fine on January 8th. So I'm not sure what changed between then and January 10th when an update seemed to kill it. Any other ideas?

For fun, I just tried on my virtual machine I was using to compare my install of KDE Plasma as a DE with an Artix distro that came with KDE Plasma as the DE and obs works fine on there even after a full system update, and without installing any additional packages.

Reply #14
So I'm not sure what changed between then and January 10th when an update seemed to kill it. Any other ideas?
The video drivers and kernel.

I rarely use OBS but mine is doing the same as yours.
If you need to use OBS now I suspect you just need to downgrade all three of the nvidia packages.
Probably to the last version but I can't be sure when OBS stopped working?
If you use 'nvidia' you'd need a matching kernel but it won't matter, in theory, with nvidia-dkms as the modules are built locally.

For fun I'm going to down grade mine and see what happens............................