Skip to main content
Topic: Cannot install gobject-introspection package (Read 471 times) previous topic - next topic

Cannot install gobject-introspection package

Seems that I'm having a weird issue. I want to rebuild xfce4-panel from Artix repos but it gives me an error:

Code: [Select]
error: failed to commit transaction (conflicting files)
python-markupsafe: /usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/markupsafe/__init__.py exists in filesystem
python-markupsafe: /usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/markupsafe/__pycache__/__init__.cpython-310.pyc exists in filesystem
python-markupsafe: /usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/markupsafe/__pycache__/_native.cpython-310.pyc exists in filesystem
python-markupsafe: /usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/markupsafe/_native.py exists in filesystem
python-markupsafe: /usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/markupsafe/_speedups.c exists in filesystem
python-markupsafe: /usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/markupsafe/_speedups.cpython-310-x86_64-linux-gnu.so exists in filesystem
python-markupsafe: /usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/markupsafe/_speedups.pyi exists in filesystem
python-markupsafe: /usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/markupsafe/py.typed exists in filesystem
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.

The culprit I guess is with the package 'gobject-introspection'. Can anyone confirm this and/or try to install this package?

Am I left with a semi-broken system now too?

Re: Cannot install gobject-introspection package

Reply #1
I'm running xfce and that isn't an installed package by default.  gobject-introspection-runtime is installed however.

Reply #2
How can I tell which package installed all these files?

python-markupsafe: /usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/markupsafe/__init__.py exists in filesystem
python-markupsafe: /usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/markupsafe/__pycache__/__init__.cpython-310.pyc exists in filesystem
python-markupsafe: /usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/markupsafe/__pycache__/_native.cpython-310.pyc exists in filesystem
python-markupsafe: /usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/markupsafe/_native.py exists in filesystem
python-markupsafe: /usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/markupsafe/_speedups.c exists in filesystem
python-markupsafe: /usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/markupsafe/_speedups.cpython-310-x86_64-linux-gnu.so exists in filesystem
python-markupsafe: /usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/markupsafe/_speedups.pyi exists in filesystem
python-markupsafe: /usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/markupsafe/py.typed exists in filesystem

Reply #3
To check which package installed the file:
$ pacman -Qo /usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/markupsafe/__pycache__/_native.cpython-310.pyc
If you are not sure on "pacman" commands, please do check pacman's man page:
$ man pacman
Or check the Arch Linux wiki on Pacman.

Reply #4
To check which package installed the file:
$ pacman -Qo /usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/markupsafe/__pycache__/_native.cpython-310.pyc

I'm getting this to all errors:

error: No package owns /usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/markupsafe/__init__.py

What's wrong with my system? How do I fix this and/or install gobject-introspection?

Reply #5
like i said, that (gobject-introspection) isn't a default package required by xfce.   btw, i also have "no packages own this" when i run that command as per yours.   Do you remember what was being done to the system immediately prior to the need to "rebuilding the panel"?  Added/removed software, manual editing of a file etc., that type of thing?

Reply #6
like i said, that (gobject-introspection) isn't a default package required by xfce.   btw, i also have "no packages own this" when i run that command as per yours.   Do you remember what was being done to the system immediately prior to the need to "rebuilding the panel"?  Added/removed software, manual editing of a file etc., that type of thing?

Didn't do anything. Even checked pacman logs and removed all that was installed like vala, intltool and their several dependencies.
Anyway, I fixed that by renaming the /usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/markupsafe/ directory to markupsafe_backup. Then I was able to install gobject. Recompiled the xfce4-panel as well. Thank you for your time and support.

Reply #7
I fixed that by renaming the /usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/markupsafe/ directory to markupsafe_backup

On my system those files are owned by:
# pacman -Qo /usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/markupsafe/__pycache__/_native.cpython-310.pyc
/usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/markupsafe/__pycache__/_native.cpython-310.pyc is owned by python-markupsafe 2.1.1-1
$ pacman -Ss python-markupsafe
world/python-markupsafe 2.1.1-1 [installed]
    Implements a XML/HTML/XHTML Markup safe string for Python

Reply #8
On my system those files are owned by python-markupsafe 2.1.1-1

Yes. It's not gobject-introspection, but it's dependency. Or, maybe, of intltool, I'm not sure. Anyway, the strange thing was that I DIDN'T have python-markupsafe installed and, at the same time, COULDN'T install it as a dependency in order to recompile xfce4-panel.

I really don't know why it was like that. It just kept complaining that these files already existed in the filesystem. But python-markupsafe WASN'T installed. That's what drove me a bit crazy.

Reply #9
I tested building and installing xfce4-panel on my system without any of the issues that you observed.
Something has to be going on your system.

Having unknown files installed on the system should not occur.
Maybe something has gone wrong with the pacman database entry for said packages.
A possible solution would be to  run "pacrepairdb" on the package entry's that are having issues.
# pacrepairdb --help
pacrepairdb - fix corrupted database entries
usage:  pacrepairdb [options] <package>...
        pacrepairdb (--help|--version)

--cachedir=<path>  set an alternate cache location
   --config=<path>    set an alternate configuration file
   --dbonly           update database without reinstalling packages
   --dbpath=<path>    set an alternate database location
   --debug            enable extra debugging messages
   --hookdir=<path>   add additional user hook directory
   --logfile=<path>   set an alternate log file
   --no-confirm       assume default responses to all prompts
   --no-hooks         do not run transaction hooks
   --no-scriptlet     do not run package install scripts
   --no-timeout       disable low speed timeouts for downloads