Skip to main content
Topic: Can't login after new driver. Nothing works. (Read 1663 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Can't login after new driver. Nothing works.

Reply #15
Did it. What about the rest like nvidia-settings etc.? I rebooted, the output of modprobe is now:
The same. Not found
The three I gave you are the important ones.

Weird!
What's the output of
Code: [Select]
find /lib/modules -name nvidia.ko.zst

Reply #16
Also shouldn't I also install the linux-headers when getting dkms
Yes. I mistakenly thought it was a dkms depandancy. It's optional ? Install headers and reinstall nvidia-dkms
Arch also says following::
nvidia may not boot on Linux 5.18 (or later) on systems with Intel CPUs (likely only of 11th Gen and onward) due to FS#74886/FS#74891. Until this is fixed, a workaround is disabling the Indirect Branch Tracking CPU security feature by setting the ibt=off kernel parameter from the bootloader. This security feature is responsible for mitigating a class of exploit techniques, but is deemed safe as a temporary stopgap solution.
I doubt it's that if the kernel can't even find the modules. But maybe ?

Reply #17
Yes. I mistakenly thought it was a dkms depandancy. It's optional ? Install headers and reinstall nvidia-dkmsI doubt it's that if the kernel can't even find the modules. But maybe ?

Soooo, more weirdness.
I installed the headers, deleted and installed nvidiadkms again BUT it says at the end of the nvidiadkms installation
ERROR: missing 6.1.10-artix1-1 kernel modules tree for module nvidia/525.85.05.

The output of your command above is following:
Nothing. Just brings me to the next line. Not even blank space, just next command line as if I hit enter with no command given.

What I did so far is following:

Install nvidia, nvidiautils nvidiasettings vulkanicdstuff lib32nvidiautils lib32nvidiasettings
Delete kms from iniramfs, reboot, made post,
Put kms back in there, deleted nvidia put in nvidiadkms, deleted that, installed headers, reinstalled dkms version with this error ,message.

This is broadly what happened so far.

Reply #18
Soooo, more weirdness.
I installed the headers, deleted and installed nvidiadkms again BUT it says at the end of the nvidiadkms installation
ERROR: missing 6.1.10-artix1-1 kernel modules tree for module nvidia/525.85.05.

You've installed a newer version of the headers than the kernel you listed earlier.
Just try a
sudo pacman -Syu
to get everything up to date

Reply #20
What's the output of

Reply #22
You've somehow failed to have any nvidia driver kernel modules built and installed. (not a criticism)

Try reinstalling nvidia-dkms again. Play close attention to the output for errors.

If no joy try installing the normal nvidia.
 sudo pacman -S nvidia

With each check
again.

It can't work if there are no kernel modules installed or they are in the wrong place.
Under /lib/modules there are directories eg /lib/modules/6.1.10-artix1-1

With the 6.1.10-artix1-1 kernel you should have them installed such as 
ls /lib/modules/6.1.10-artix1-1/kernel/drivers/video/*
/lib/modules/6.1.10-artix1-1/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia-drm.ko.zst      /lib/modules/6.1.10-artix1-1/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia-peermem.ko.zst
/lib/modules/6.1.10-artix1-1/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.ko.zst          /lib/modules/6.1.10-artix1-1/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia-uvm.ko.zst
/lib/modules/6.1.10-artix1-1/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia-modeset.ko.zst

Reply #23
You've somehow failed to have any nvidia driver kernel modules built and installed. (not a criticism)

Try reinstalling nvidia-dkms again. Play close attention to the output for errors.

If no joy try installing the normal nvidia.
 sudo pacman -S nvidia

With each check
again.

It can't work if there are no kernel modules installed or they are in the wrong place.
Under /lib/modules there are directories eg /lib/modules/6.1.10-artix1-1

With the 6.1.10-artix1-1 kernel you should have them installed such as 
ls /lib/modules/6.1.10-artix1-1/kernel/drivers/video/*
/lib/modules/6.1.10-artix1-1/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia-drm.ko.zst      /lib/modules/6.1.10-artix1-1/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia-peermem.ko.zst
/lib/modules/6.1.10-artix1-1/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.ko.zst          /lib/modules/6.1.10-artix1-1/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia-uvm.ko.zst
/lib/modules/6.1.10-artix1-1/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia-modeset.ko.zst

Happy news.

The reinstallation gave no errors, unique output was following: dkms install --no-depmod nvidia/525.85.05 -k 6.1.10-artix1-1
Depmod 6.1.10-artix1-1
---
Find command finally gave output:
/lib/modules/6.1.10artix11 bla bla bla the correct folder you gave me with the ls command.

It exists and many many more than you listed. Ko.zst files exist in there.

Sounds good, dunno why it works now, but what's the next step? Reboot, startx?

Reply #24
Yes reboot. Or startx , or restart the Display Manager.
Reboot is simple though  ;)

Reply #26
Yeyeyyeyeyeyeee I am in. Thank you hero!
No worries. Glad you are in. I suspect originally it was as simple as you had new modules in /lib/modules/6.1.10-artix1-1 and a older kernel looking in the 6.1.8 modules tree.
Word to the wise. If you are ever doing things that involve swapping one driver for another get your system fully updated first.
Another side question, should I add the nvidia things to the initramfs as https://forums.developer.nvidia.com/t/when-it-makes-sense-to-load-nvidia-modules-into-initramfs-drm-kernel-mode-setting/198266 says
I don't add them myself. That's not to say you shouldn't.
What could possibly go wrong  ;)

Reply #27
No worries. Glad you are in. I suspect originally it was as simple as you had new modules in /lib/modules/6.1.10-artix1-1 and a older kernel looking in the 6.1.8 modules tree.
Word to the wise. If you are ever doing things that involve swapping one driver for another get your system fully updated first.I don't add them myself. That's not to say you shouldn't.
What could possibly go wrong  ;)

Motherfucker.... It was the driver all along, all my games now have solid fps and quality. God how much I hate these proprietary companies, my system feels more dirty now, but i have I9 with IME so it doesnt matter anyways. thank you soo much man. Have a great sleep, perfect bread, nice evening, good day, nice sex with whoever you wan, a dog that loves you, whatever you want man! :D :))

Reply #28
LOL
Well you've learnt, the nouveau driver sucks for gaming. Especially on recent cards.
Many people have their issues with nvidia, and open source, and I do get it.
However personally I don't really care. I bought one ATI card just once, and the drivers (supposed to work out of the box) sucked at launch and continued to suck right up until I sold it in despair and bought an Nvidia card instead. Never bought ATI / AMD GPU's since.

If I cared about Wayland I might be tempted back to AMD but I'm firmly of the opinion that Wayland sucks as well and always will suck.