Skip to main content
Topic: GRUB LUKS boot issues after config change (Read 370 times) previous topic - next topic

GRUB LUKS boot issues after config change

I'm running Artix with grub and luks encrypted root partition on an nvme drive. Everything has been default from the initial setup with artix install disk until this morning when i edited /etc/default/grub GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT to add mitigations=off to the end.
I ran update-grub which was successful and rebooted. On boot the splash screen shows up for a split second then reboots into my bios menu. I booted into a secondary live disk (old Artix ssd) and unencrypted/mounted my disk to chroot into. Removed the added entry with mitigations=off and reran update-grub.
Upon reboot I am able to select the first option but get the following message:
Code: [Select]
error: sparse file not allowed
error: no such cryptodisk found, perhaps a needed disk or cryptodisk module is not loaded.
Loading Linux linux...
452: out of range pointer: 0x52e7d020
Aborted. Press any key to exit.
There have been no disk or hardware changes, only the single entry in the default grub variable. I've tried the following with no success so far:
running update-grub and mkinitcpio -p linux from chroot
running grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
running grub-install and mkinitcpio -p linux
The out of range pointer value changes but the error messages stay the same. I'm not sure where to go from here, I'm able to still decrypt the partition on boot so I'm not sure why grub can't load the configuration especially since it's 100% the same as it was before the mitigations change. I have the drive mounted now and can provide any configuration files or command output as needed, I'm just not sure where to go from here.