Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: [SOLVED] Firefox breaks after v110 update, all pages show a blank screen (Read 1092 times) previous topic - next topic

[SOLVED] Firefox breaks after v110 update, all pages show a blank screen

Any online URL will show nothing but a blank screen with the browser's background color.  However, every link in firefox's about:about as well as any local files opened in the browser work fine. 

Other people have had the same or similar problems before, and they can fix it by changing their browser profile, but I can't. Even after uninstalling FF, removing the entire .mozilla directory, and clearing my system cache, a brand new install of FF will still have this problem.
The only error message I get from CLI is:
Code: [Select]
[2023-03-04T00:23:33Z ERROR viaduct::backend::ffi] Missing HTTP status
This also happens on librewolf (where I first encountered the problem, before the breaking update propagated to the firefox package).

Copying my .mozilla folder to a clean artix VM and running firefox works perfectly, with no error messages, even using arkenfox's user.js.

If anyone has any pointers for this so I don't have to reinstall Artix, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Re: Firefox breaks after v110 update, all pages show a blank screen

Reply #1
I had the same problem yesterday after updating a host of mostly "K" packages.
I rebooted the system and it was fine.

Reply #2
I might've had a freezing issue with Librewolf too this morning, i did an update ahead of time, rebooted and it seems to work again fine

Reply #3
This also happens on librewolf (where I first encountered the problem, before the breaking update propagated to the firefox package).

My best bet about your issue is a bug that happens when you have both librewolf and ff. Try using only one either ff or librewolf not both. It can happen due to the almost identical things  ff and lw share one try to read what the other write or vice versa that can trigger some unknown yet bug into memory/cache or at execution. From what I remember lw has containers on by default while ff  not.

Another thing to try is reinstall ff dependencies making sure you pull all those dependencies from Artix repos and not from other repos like Arch (in case you've played with Arch repo too much)

Reply #4
FF and LW don't share anything, the directory names are different; that probably only happened with seamonkey/icecat a while back :)

But yeah LW has some weird flags on by default. Could be but most likely not the issue here. It probably was some library instability anyway and not even mozilla.

Reply #5

Yeah they have separate folders but when it reads from memory and write back into their cache something must be going bananas borking themselves. I'm above 70% sure it must bee some incompatibility between those two when used in parallel and with all the respect for lw, ff benefits from a slightly better maintenance. More devs/people /eye balls hunting for bugs on ff than 4 lw. They even pay for some more notable security issues found and some code changes are postponed for a reason and there is no way lw folks know all ff devs intentions so bugs can show up.

Reply #6
The only thing they share is a codebase. Separate processes, memory, config files, and cache.
I don't use librewolf but do use the fork firedragon. No problems using it at the same time as Firefox and for what it's worth no blank screen issue with firefox for me.

Reply #7
 Remove both lw and ff, restart pc then reinstall ff or lw but not both. It''s like you are trying to put two swords in the same holster. If you
 still need both at least run them one at a time.

Reply #8
Another thing to try is reinstall ff dependencies making sure you pull all those dependencies from Artix repos and not from other repos like Arch (in case you've played with Arch repo too much)
THANK YOU! I reinstalled all the dependencies, noting that it wanted "nss" instead of "nss-hg" (Mozilla Network Security Services), and that fixed it. No idea why I installed the "hg" version at some point, but for whatever reason that package is broken right now.
Remove both lw and ff, restart pc then reinstall ff or lw but not both. It''s like you are trying to put two swords in the same holster. If you
 still need both at least run them one at a time.
As for this, I should note that I've had librewolf removed from my system for a while, and never ran the two at the same time, so it wasn't related to this.

Solved :)

Reply #9

Good you fixed it, that nss-ng is an AUR version of nss so my 2nd  assumption was correct, some dependency went out of its  place
 Happened to  me in the past and liferea didn't launch correctly cos I've installed some (systemd addicted) dependency from main Arch
 not from Artix.