Skip to main content
Topic: updating grub bricked system (Read 700 times) previous topic - next topic

updating grub bricked system

i was switching to the `linux-zen` and tried to update grub to detect the new kernel on boot.

i ran `sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg` as listed in the arch wiki https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/GRUB and now when i boot my system i am prompted to decrypt my drive followed by a black screen that sends me to my bios settings

it was booting fine before i updated grub. running artix openrc on a uefi system

Re: updating grub bricked system

Reply #1
Hello,,
Every time I changed kernel, it worked for me with :
Code: [Select]
sudo update-grub

But very recently on a freshly installed system it didn't work.
I had to go through artix-chroot and reinstall grub.

Reply #2
You might need to reissue the grub install command too, as version updates on UEFI boot setups can require this so the different Grub components match each other. The grub install command arguments will vary according to your system set up so may require some research. This could need to be done from a chroot as you cannot boot, although an Artix live USB might be able to detect and boot the existing setup. If you have installed from an ISO dating from last year the old Grub version will work fine until you do update-grub / grub mkconfig then fail on UEFI due to the version incompatibility.
 Also check in your BIOS UEFI boot order settings, you can end up with several UEFI boot options in there if you have several partitions and every time you do something like install grub or install a new OS which runs install grub the order can automatically  get changed with the new one right at the top so you might need to change it back because you are probably going to want to be able to boot from USB and optical if available as the first choice anyway.

Reply #3
an Artix live USB might be able to detect and boot the existing setup.
How to check it? How to boot the system already present on another disk from a live USB?
Operating System: Artix Linux x86_64

Reply #4
an Artix live USB might be able to detect and boot the existing setup.
How to check it? How to boot the system already present on another disk from a live USB?
Try to boot from the base ISO  :

- Mount your root partition to /mnt and ESP to /mnt/boot/efi

- then artix-chroot /mnt

- From there you can reinstall grub.

Reply #5
Try to boot from the base ISO  :

- Mount your root partition to /mnt and ESP to /mnt/boot/efi

- then artix-chroot /mnt

- From there you can reinstall grub.
Thanks. Is the above also possible not from the base, but from artix-plasma-runit-[...]-x86_64.iso I already succeeded to boot?
Operating System: Artix Linux x86_64