Skip to main content
Topic: [openrc][runit] update (Read 17575 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: [openrc][runit] update

Reply #45
No, he was referring to the 2 services that are in the original post. Only those 2 services need to be deleted from the runlevel.

for openrc there is no listed services and the runit ones are in a runit specific location

Openrc:

Remove runlevel symlinks you eventually set manually.

check elogind:
Code: [Select]

sudo rc-update del elogind boot

So, follwoing my nose... I see

flatbush ~]# sudo ls -al /etc/runlevels/
total 20
drwxr-xr-x   7 root root   81 Jun  8  2016 .
drwxr-xr-x 125 root root 8192 May  6 00:02 ..
drwxr-xr-x   2 root root 4096 May  4 08:29 boot
drwxr-xr-x   2 root root 4096 May  6 01:30 default
drwxr-xr-x   2 root root   19 May  4 08:29 nonetwork
drwxr-xr-x   2 root root   56 May  4 08:29 shutdown
drwxr-xr-x   2 root root  141 May  4 08:29 sysinit
[flatbush ~]# sudo ls -al /etc/runlevels/shutdown/
total 0
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 56 May  4 08:29 .
drwxr-xr-x 7 root root 81 Jun  8  2016 ..
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 21 Apr 27 21:29 killprocs -> /etc/init.d/killprocs
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 20 Apr 27 21:29 mount-ro -> /etc/init.d/mount-ro
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 21 Apr 27 21:29 savecache -> /etc/init.d/savecache
[flatbush ~]#

Is that relevant?  can this be related to trouble with my network booting correctly?

Reply #46
would you expand on this a bit? what do you (as artix developers) see as some benefits of runit over openrc? I'm just curious, artix (and previous arch) has been the perfect balance for me between utility (rarely breaks for me) vs hobbyist linux usage (I pretty much went from linux-from-scratch to arch because pacman), .........

If you were around debian and maybe arch, when systemd was adopted the #1 attack by systemd defenders was that sysvinit is an antique that needs to be replaced with something more modern.  AFAICT OpenRC is no init system, it is a wrapper for sysvinit.  It is like putting new bodywork on a 60s vw bug.  It may still work and be reliable and have less wind noise.
s6 and runit are so simple and so reliable once set up correctly they may as well be used in a school for teaching students what an init system is and what supervision does.  Whether google can use them for their servers or not, it is not a priority for me to find out.
Apart from the bumpy road and instance I chose to go with runit, it runs like a swiss clock.  The only installation I have with openrc is a refracta which I keep around with no use just out of respect for the guy who makes it.  I don't have the heart to delete refracta.

But OpenRC being on and supported means you don't have to change anything, so what are you worried about?
Gentoo is catering to a very specific crowd of sysadmins, they like what they develop and what is being developed for them.  Make sure you have the same needs as they do then get attached to it.  My opinion is that most of us don't need something so complex.  It is the only reason that systemd gained support that something new was needed, "for the same crowd".

Reply #47

for openrc there is no listed services and the runit ones are in a runit specific location

So, follwoing my nose... I see

flatbush ~]# sudo ls -al /etc/runlevels/
total 20
drwxr-xr-x   7 root root   81 Jun  8  2016 .
drwxr-xr-x 125 root root 8192 May  6 00:02 ..
drwxr-xr-x   2 root root 4096 May  4 08:29 boot
drwxr-xr-x   2 root root 4096 May  6 01:30 default
drwxr-xr-x   2 root root   19 May  4 08:29 nonetwork
drwxr-xr-x   2 root root   56 May  4 08:29 shutdown
drwxr-xr-x   2 root root  141 May  4 08:29 sysinit
[flatbush ~]# sudo ls -al /etc/runlevels/shutdown/
total 0
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 56 May  4 08:29 .
drwxr-xr-x 7 root root 81 Jun  8  2016 ..
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 21 Apr 27 21:29 killprocs -> /etc/init.d/killprocs
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 20 Apr 27 21:29 mount-ro -> /etc/init.d/mount-ro
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 21 Apr 27 21:29 savecache -> /etc/init.d/savecache
[flatbush ~]#

Is that relevant?  can this be related to trouble with my network booting correctly?
Your network problem is unrelated to OpenRC. You are using 2 network managers at the same time and they conflict. Read my post in your other thread.
Chris Cromer

Reply #48
Hello, may I just add this  to fungalnet's comment?
OpenRC used to be a wrapper just for the old init (SysV), that binary /sbin/init.
The more recent Linux distros with OpenRC sport their own (OpenRC-)init binary, but still called the same and doing the same thing. That's the elegance of it. It even works with "old" init scripts in /etc/init.d/ provided the distro adheres to LSB standards.
Enjoy the choice of several init systems at your hands! OpenRC, runit, S6, InitSysV all are well and kicking! Even InitSysV gets some revival.

Reply #49
Guys, "rolling distro" to me means a full image backup with Clonezilla of /boot/efi and / before I even dream about applying updates. I got bitten by the "no init" after updating as well, but simply restored the backup until I had time to look into this and come here.

Finger-pointing will not help and the community is way too small, in my opinion, to be able to afford any bad blood.

What might help - and this is a suggestion: could pacman be leveraged to display an UPDATING message (I am thinking about FreeBSD ports here) before committing an update, whenever first doing an update after an architecture change has been made that is likely to break things?

That being said, I found Artix so far to be a much better experience than Ubuntu / Mint and the stability is great (not talking about updating, but everyday usage).

Reply #50
I love to have a systemd-free distro, I hate every single break changing. But I understand some reasons, it's ok doing mistakes. It's not ok, however, not even thinking about how painful it's for the users.

Artix, with updates off, it's a solid system with me. But sincerely after each upgrade I don't know more if my system will open X correctly (several packages broken in my system since the beginning of this year) and now even OpenRC.

I'm not making here any exigence. The dev guys behind this are doing a truely hero job, I'm just sad for the overall experience. But I'll not give up. For now, I don't have any great alternative for a stable system Arch-like with a systemd-free mindset.

I'm really not trying to talk bad about Artix. I still have hope that all this changes will normalize and we'll can use artix for a nice time.

Anyway, good luck for you guys, hope the best for the distro.
It's me. The only me.

Reply #51
Can someone please tell me what my next steps are from the rootfs prompt? 

It says /sbin/init does not exist.

I've managed to find my personal files under the new_root structure so can backup at least.

Reply #52
Don't worry, all your OS and data should be perfectly safe, there is no real problem. I guess you updated and didn't read that you needed to install the  artix-sysvcompat package before shutting down. That contains the init file symlink to the real init:
$ pacman -Ql artix-sysvcompat 
artix-sysvcompat /usr/
artix-sysvcompat /usr/bin/
artix-sysvcompat /usr/bin/halt
artix-sysvcompat /usr/bin/init
artix-sysvcompat /usr/bin/poweroff
artix-sysvcompat /usr/bin/reboot
artix-sysvcompat /usr/bin/shutdown
artix-sysvcompat /usr/share/
artix-sysvcompat /usr/share/libalpm/
artix-sysvcompat /usr/share/libalpm/hooks/
artix-sysvcompat /usr/share/libalpm/hooks/50-sysvcompat.hook
artix-sysvcompat /usr/share/libalpm/hooks/55-initswitch.hook
artix-sysvcompat /usr/share/libalpm/scripts/
artix-sysvcompat /usr/share/libalpm/scripts/initswitch-hook
artix-sysvcompat /usr/share/licenses/
artix-sysvcompat /usr/share/licenses/halt/
artix-sysvcompat /usr/share/licenses/halt/COPYING
artix-sysvcompat /usr/share/man/
artix-sysvcompat /usr/share/man/man8/
artix-sysvcompat /usr/share/man/man8/halt.8.gz
artix-sysvcompat /usr/share/man/man8/poweroff.8.gz
artix-sysvcompat /usr/share/man/man8/reboot.8.gz
artix-sysvcompat /usr/share/man/man8/shutdown.8.gz
$ ls -l /usr/bin/init
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 11 May  1 21:41 /usr/bin/init -> openrc-init
(it would point to runit-init if you were using runit)
So you see, all you are missing is to boot up and install that package. You can follow Artoo's instructions (usually the best plan) on the first page of this thread to temporarily alter the command line, or probably even chroot in and install the package after manually downloading it, or make a temporary symlink manually somehow if you felt like it.

Reply #53
Thanks. I have chrooted and resolved.

Download latest artix
Write to usb drive and boot
Setup network
Update mirrors (as per main page)
Unlock luks partitions (udiskctl)
mount partition
chroot
install artix-syscompact
reboot

Reply #54
Might be a good idea to elaborate on the "command line" instructions as to where exactly it needs to be added to get back in to install the compat package?  I tried adding it to my linux line and still couldn't get in.  Thankfully it was on a dev updater box but I didn't have much time so I wound up doing a new install actually following Artoo's instructions instead of fighting with it.
Host: Predator PH517-61 V1.07
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (16) @ 3.2GHz [112.4°F]
GPU: AMD ATI Radeon RX Vega 56/64
Memory: 1129MiB / 64390MiB

Reply #55
Look guys I have been just to busy to bother with Artix for over one month in that time Nvidia has decided to mess users up by not recognising certain current cards .
I decided to ditch Nvidia and do this update while I was at it  1st Nvidia got that out of the way.

Well I followed Artoo to the letter downloaded 650MB  rebooted guess what all was fine like I knew it would  but then i'm just a old Arch user used to doing things the Arch way,
 now I'm a happy Artix user doing things the Artix way.
Its all very simple really.

Reply #56
What might help - and this is a suggestion: could pacman be leveraged to display an UPDATING message (I am thinking about FreeBSD ports here) before committing an update, whenever first doing an update after an architecture change has been made that is likely to break things?

That being said, I found Artix so far to be a much better experience than Ubuntu / Mint and the stability is great (not talking about updating, but everyday usage).
Arch occasionally will bite in the same way if you forget to check for manual intervention.  It's so rare, that it becomes very easy to forget to check.  IIRC, there was a wrapper for pacman in Arch that did something like that.  I see a pacmatic package that is similar, but I don't think that's the one I used.  The problem with the one I used is that it tried to do a lot of other stuff as well and became annoying.

Reply #57
for openrc

<<Remove runlevel symlinks you eventually set manually.>>

What does this mean exactly?  I have delayed updating my server, but I will do it this weekend.  But I'm not sure what this exactly means.

Reply #58
for openrc

<<Remove runlevel symlinks you eventually set manually.>>

What does this mean exactly?  I have delayed updating my server, but I will do it this weekend.  But I'm not sure what this exactly means.

you uninstall the two services from the run levels and then install one package, this is directly under the openrc section on the first post.

Reply #59
you uninstall the two services from the run levels and then install one package, this is directly under the openrc section on the first post.

then I am not rm'ing anything.  I am sorry for being confused.