Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: [SOLVED] Make pacman -Qc recognize NEWS (Read 520 times) previous topic - next topic

[SOLVED] Make pacman -Qc recognize NEWS

A recent change in grep broke a script suite I had written, and pacman -Qc grep came up empty. I had to download the grep source to read the NEWS. Turns out the fix was easy - I had to batch-replace \d with [0-9]. But I should be able to do that without downloading the source. If that means including the NEWS in the package besides the PKGBUILD, please do so.

Re: Make pacman -Qc recognize NEWS

Reply #1
This must be taken as a feature request to upstream pacman developers, i.e. Arch.

Reply #2
Why am I not surprised that you are shutting me down again? Has it ever occurred to you guys that you might emancipate yourselves from Arch and start doing your own thing? Such as making your own feature requests and uploading patches? (actually, I'd love to switch to Gentoo, but I still have to live with the possibility of having to give up Linux altogether when the 5.4 kernel reaches EOL in December 2025 - I'm not buying new hardware on spec only to find out that the kernel still doesn't work).

Reply #3
Make and submit the patch yourself? Nobody is stopping you. We don't fork pacman.

Wow, Artix developers are getting paid??

Reply #6
> Lazy-ass Artix developers, they get paid so handsomely

Are they getting paid? This really shines another light on all the isssues with the inconsistent Artix repositories happening quite often. If they get paid, then I start expect something.

Reply #8
There are a couple of ways you can raise the issue with Pacman developers described here:
https://archlinux.org/pacman/#_source_code

Here is the gitlab issues page:
https://gitlab.archlinux.org/pacman/pacman/-/issues

There is also a mailing list if you don't wish to bother with creating an account for the above repo. It would be worth searching the recent issues and messages to find out if anything has already been reported. Those are the best people to discuss the problem with as they are actively involved in developing Pacman, they know what changes they have made that might have affected you and whether it would be practical or not to fix your problem and can explain the situation. I think a lot of people here do contribute to upstream development from time to time. I don't think there was any intention to cause offence, rather it was good advice as from reading the initial post I personally have no idea exactly what the problem is let alone the solution. There is a package called artixnews in the repos and several Arch news apps in the AUR if that is helpful:
Code: [Select]
aur/archer 0.1-1 [0 / 0.000000]
    fetch the archlinux news
aur/archnews 20220720-1 [0 / 0.000000]
    Show the latest news from Arch Linux official page
aur/archnews2 1.2.0-1 [8 / 0.000310]
    Utility for displaying Arch news feed in console
aur/informant 0.4.5-1 [82 / 2.750429]
    An Arch Linux News reader and pacman hook
aur/milcheck 0.3.1-1 [4 / 0.005493]
    A CLI that displays the status of your pacman mirrorlist and the Arch Linux latest news right in the terminal
aur/newsie 1.1.1-1 [3 / 0.000000]
    A command line utility for accessing Arch newsfeed posts.
aur/pacnews 2.2.0-1 [3 / 0.016300]
    Read Arch Linux News from your CLI
aur/rssowlnix 2.8.0_beta-1 [0 / 0.000000]
    Organize, search and read your RSS, RDF & Atom news feeds in a comfortable way

Why do you have to use the 5.4 kernel? What hardware are you using that causes a problem? You can run some pretty old kernels here, there are still some 4 series in the AUR so that should work for a while yet, even after EOL.

Reply #9
Why do you have to use the 5.4 kernel? What hardware are you using that causes a problem? You can run some pretty old kernels here, there are still some 4 series in the AUR so that should work for a while yet, even after EOL.
/off about one year ago i had a very little job to do on this hosting server, it lacked some commands and felt strange, when i check what it runs on... 2.6.32 :D
I think it had CentOS though

Reply #10
Fine.
This works for grep:
Code: [Select]
package() {
  cd $pkgname-$pkgver
  [[ -f NEWS ]] && {
    cp NEWS ../..
    #This will also work, but you have to concatenate them
    #printf 'ChangeLog\0NEWS' | find -files0-from - -maxdepth 0 -exec cat {} > ../../NEWS \;
    export changelog=NEWS
  }
  make DESTDIR="$pkgdir" install
}
And the code change is there for all to see without having to download the source. I'm looking at the pacman source, but that will take a while. Don't hold your breath. Marking this as solved.