Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: MySQL Workbench & gnome-keyring: mysql-workbench doesn't store passwords[SOLVED] (Read 3938 times) previous topic - next topic

MySQL Workbench & gnome-keyring: mysql-workbench doesn't store passwords[SOLVED]

Hi,
I am starting to loose some precious time on an issue I have since I moved to Artix  from Antergos: mysql-workbench doesn't store passwords.
It is annoying because I use it everyday and there are a lot of passwords to remember.
on plasma/systemd/Antergos, this software was remembering passwords

Google helped a bit:
Mysql wd docs  says:

Linux: The vault works by storing passwords using the gnome-keyring daemon, which must be running for password persistence to work. The daemon is automatically started in GNOME desktops, but normally is not in KDE and others. The gnome-keyring daemon stores passwords for MySQL Workbench on non-GNOME platforms, but it must be started manually.

(in MySQL :: MySQL Workbench Manual :: 5.3.8 The Password Storage Vault https://dev.mysql.com/doc/workbench/en/wb-mysql-connections-vault.html )

I understand gnome-keyring-daemon must be launched in user space, ie at xinit.
But since both software do not provide decent logs, I can't find out why it is not working.

I found somewhere that xinitrc must contain:

eval $(/usr/bin/gnome-keyring-daemon --start --components=gpg,pkcs11,secrets,ssh)
 export $(gnome-keyring-daemon --start --components=pkcs11,secrets,ssh,gpg)

or additionnally

export GNOME_KEYRING_CONTROL=$(ls -d /run/user/1000/keyring*)

seahorse doesn't help.
Man doesn't help:  https://www.mankier.com/1/gnome-keyring-daemon#Options
I saw some reference to /etc/xdg/autostart/gnome-keyring-pkcs11.desktop

In my tests I also saw error like
gnome-keyring-daemon --start couldn't access control socket: /run/user/1000/keyring/control: No such file or directory
(but the file exists with "=" at the end)

how to get the gnome-keyring-daemon logs? to check if at least it being contacted?

some refs:
password - mysql-workbench and Gnome keyring daemon problem - Ask Ubuntu
https://askubuntu.com/questions/554280/mysql-workbench-and-gnome-keyring-daemon-problem

Gnome Keyring not working / Newbie Corner / Arch Linux Forums
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=224652

I hope someone already know how to fix the issue.

EDIT:
This also applies to Skype

Re: MySQL Workbench & gnome-keyring: mysql-workbench doesn't store passwords

Reply #1
When using startx, xfce4 and elogind I found I am running rootless X. This is cool, but there are some error messages if I log them with startx >/home/$USER/mystartx.log 2>&1 either on  the  prompt or using an agetty autologin. One message is about gpg. It doesn't affect me so I disabled it but it might be related to your problem.
I don't know what you are using or whether you end up with a rootless X too.
(sudo startx gives a non root X for testing and comparison but probably isn't good for security.)
IOPL is for ancient drivers for serial mice etc so can probably be ignored, and I got rid of some warnings by disabling features like here:
https://docs.xfce.org/xfce/xfce4-session/advanced
Haven't got to the last ones yet to see what they are.  8)
Error messages I logged from this:

xf86EnableIOPorts: failed to set IOPL for I/O (Operation not permitted)
/usr/bin/startxfce4: X server already running on display :0
xfce4-session: No SSH authentication agent found
gpg-agent[2134]: WARNING: "--write-env-file" is an obsolete option - it has no effect
gpg-agent[2135]: gpg-agent (GnuPG) 2.2.6 started
(xfce4-session:2111): xfce4-session-WARNING **: 02:57:32.494: gpg-agent returned no PID in the variables
(xfce4-session:2111): xfce4-session-WARNING **: 02:57:32.495: xfsm_manager_load_session:
Something wrong with /home/#######/.cache/sessions/xfce4-session-ax:0, Does it exist? Permissions issue?
(xfsettingsd:2149): xfsettingsd-WARNING **: 02:57:32.791: Failed to get the _NET_NUMBER_OF_DESKTOPS property.

Reply #2
I looked at the X logs, no clue.

Btw I am a happy user of  KDE plasma.

thanks anyway

Reply #3
I think I solved it.

where running in console, I saw this:

"Session bus not found\nTo circumvent this problem try the following command (with Linux and bash)\nexport $(dbus-launch)"

putting this line  everywhere solved the problem
export $(dbus-launch)

I mean : .bashrc, .session, .xinitrc

(I know bashrc shall not be relevant)

Reply #4
Great, please edit the first message and prepend [SOLVED] to the topic.

Re: MySQL Workbench & gnome-keyring: mysql-workbench doesn't store passwords[SOLVED]

Reply #5
Done.

EDIT:
This also applies to Skype, problem solved too

And everything that uses xdg-open.
In chromium, "show in folder" in the download page now works